TzuJanLi

The Taiji Symbol (Yin~Yang)

Greetings..

The simplicity of the Taiji Symbol (Yin~Yang) as a graphic representation of 'something', seems to have a profound visual impact on many peoples across diverse backgrounds and beliefs.. it is one of the most recognizable symbols on the planet, so, i'm curious.. how do you understand what this symbol represents?

Thank you in advance, and.. be well..

Greetings..

The simplicity of the Taiji Symbol (Yin~Yang) as a graphic representation of 'something', seems to have a profound visual impact on many peoples across diverse backgrounds and beliefs.. it is one of the most recognizable symbols on the planet, so, i'm curious.. how do you understand what this symbol represents?

reminds me of holding the ball.

definitely seems to have universal appeal for anyone's sense of opposition, polarity, unity, and balance.

Ebb and flow. Fluidity. Impermanence. Yielding towards the middle...and upon arriving, empty spaciousness that encapsulates fullness.

I have spent quite some time pondering Yin and Yang - to me the symbol is - well, just a symbol. But the underlying concept is what is really important: Yin and Yang tells us about polarizations of forces on any one-dimensional level. The examples are many:

Within martial arts

• Being weighted or not
  • Vertical motion (up or down)
  • Horizontal motion (left or right)
  • Relative to the body (to or from)

Within integers

• The Natural Numbers vs. their negatives
  • One number relative to another

With drinking coffee (or tea if that's your preference)

• The quality (inferior or superior)
  • The strength (weaker or stronger)
  • The temperature (colder or hotter)

(too) often it is said that yin and yang are mainly opposites. While that is of course a true statement the true understanding only comes from being comfortable with applying the yin and yang philosophy to any one-dimensional level.

Greetings..

The sine -cosine wave flow of energy universal.

Greetings..

I might be naieve, but to me it represents the Tao. Male and female in perfect unison, no male without female, no female without male. It's balance and moderation. Two forces that blend to form a whole. The one knows when to give way to the other.

Greetings..

Thank you all for your replies, i see the wisdom in each.. i have asked this question many times of many people Eastern and western, alike, and.. the answers reveal a distinct cultural difference in the 'way' the symbol is perceived..

As for myself, i understand the symbol from the perspective of stillness, suspending the stuff i have stuck in the mind's srtucture.. so, what i 'see' is balance and change.. the understanding i have of that 'seeing', is balance represents stillness, Yin, and.. change represents activity, Yang.. and together they are the interactive and interdependent contrasting principles that are the foundation of existence, and as the interactive principles they integrate into the Wholeness that is Life..

Be well..

pang_01.jpg

my first exposure to it was while looking at a surfboard in Zuma Beach, CA. It was the logo for Town & Country (T&C).

As for what it means to me, its meaning has changed over the course of time from representing Good - being the light and Evil - being the dark, but a little bit of both were always within each other. This made a lot of sense to me at the time.

To now representing the primal essences infinitely reflecting off the photons of everything inside and out. It's a symbol of mother and father, of the purpose behind why existence in these forms continues and exists.

Ten years from now I'll probably think something completely different. :)

Edited by hyok

Greetings..

Thank you all for your replies, i see the wisdom in each.. i have asked this question many times of many people Eastern and western, alike, and.. the answers reveal a distinct cultural difference in the 'way' the symbol is perceived..

As for myself, i understand the symbol from the perspective of stillness, suspending the stuff i have stuck in the mind's srtucture.. so, what i 'see' is balance and change.. the understanding i have of that 'seeing', is balance represents stillness, Yin, and.. change represents activity, Yang.. and together they are the interactive and interdependent contrasting principles that are the foundation of existence, and as the interactive principles they integrate into the Wholeness that is Life..

Be well..

TzuJanLi,

Thanks for posting this interesting question.

For me, the Yin/Yang symbol is most basically the duality of all things.

The interdependent nature of Nature. (which includes us!)

The meaning to me is very personal...I use this beautiful symbol

everyday to remind myself to accept what my path becomes with every

moment that I am within the Tao.

I find it to be a calming influence in my everyday life, and it's principles

are always present in everything we do, or do not, do.

It is a comfort for me to know all things exist in an equal/opposite balance,

and that no matter what may go on in our lives, Tao will always move towards

a balance with no regard for the whims of man/womankind.

A consistent Nature, above any influence, the Way of true virtue.

Peace!

the symbol represents everything around us, and everything inside of us... the act of breathing... constant and continual change, when the in-breath reaches it's peak it transforms into the out-breath, when Yin reaches it's extreme it transforms to Yang.... and evolutions, Yin and Yang as the first two things that kicked it off, progressing in number and complexity to the infinite, but grounded in just two things, me and you, enjoying the presence of each other... or just YOU and your relationship with everything else, dynamically playing off each other...

"Movement from the Yang levels activates the creation of Yin substance. Nourishment from the Yin levels supports yang activity." Wang Ju-Yi

a

Greetings..

Once again I'd like to say that ;

We normally say what is Yang and Yin but it is not the right concept understanding Yang, Yin.

It is one theory explains how to understand the priniple of world, emphasizing "harmonizing the all components"

We often indicates the dominant Qi in the object and at a certain moment.

What are you going to call "Yang" or "Yin" seeing the green tree with full of energy in summer? Yang?

But it is full of "water" inside.

How about the tree in fall or winter? "Yin"?

But it cut the circulation of water inside and easy to burn.

talking "Yin" Yang", both have "alterability" and "relativity"

There is Yin with Yang and Yang with Yin, existing not in separate or the polarties in conflict.

I put more weight on "Flexibility" of "Yang and Yin" means in a certain case, the thing with Yang can be Yin, Yin can be Yang, also homonizing between Yang and Yang, Yin and Yin, we can see many cases of those in nature.

I mean we need to broaden the current concept of "Yang" "Yin"

Edited by noelle

Once again I'd like to say that ;

We normally say what is Yang and Yin but it is not the right concept understanding Yang, Yin.

It is one theory explains how to understand the priniple of world, emphasizing "harmonizing the all components"

We often indicates the dominant Qi in the object and at a certain moment.

What are you going to call "Yang" or "Yin" seeing the green tree with full of energy in summer? Yang?

But it is full of "water" inside.

How about the tree in fall or winter? "Yin"?

But it cut the circulation of water inside and easy to burn.

talking "Yin" Yang", both have "alterability" and "relativity"

There is Yin with Yang and Yang with Yin, existing not in separate or the polarties in conflict.

I put more weight on "Flexibility" of "Yang and Yin" means in a certain case, the thing with Yang can be Yin, Yin can be Yang, also homonizing between Yang and Yang, Yin and Yin, we can see many cases of those in nature.

I mean we need to broaden the current concept of "Yang" "Yin"

Greetings..

Relativity is is dynamic principle of the 'whole' Taiji Symbol..For instance: suppose we have three bowls of water:

1) The bowl of water is so cold it is frozen..

2) The bowl of water is room temperature..

3) The bowl of water is hot, steaming..

So, by temperature, 1's coldness is Yin compared to 2's Yang temperature, but 2's Yang temperature becomes Yin compared to 3's heat.. then..

By structure, 1 is solid/Yang compared to the liquid/Yin of 2, but 2's liquid Yin bacomes Yang compared to 3's steam..

It's all relative..

Be well..

Greetings..

Relativity is is dynamic principle of the 'whole' Taiji Symbol..For instance: suppose we have three bowls of water:

1) The bowl of water is so cold it is frozen..

2) The bowl of water is room temperature..

3) The bowl of water is hot, steaming..

So, by temperature, 1's coldness is Yin compared to 2's Yang temperature, but 2's Yang temperature becomes Yin compared to 3's heat.. then..

By structure, 1 is solid/Yang compared to the liquid/Yin of 2, but 2's liquid Yin bacomes Yang compared to 3's steam..

It's all relative..

Be well..

TzuJanLi,

Interesting....

Tao and Physics....

The

never ending

transformation

of energy.

Energy always remains.

Only the form...changes.

Peace!

I might be naieve, but to me it represents the Tao. Male and female in perfect unison, no male without female, no female without male. It's balance and moderation. Two forces that blend to form a whole. The one knows when to give way to the other.

My meaning fits along these lines. I also like the concept of Day and Night, Sun and Moon and how they shade into each other, just as maximum Yang is present, minimum Yin begins to come forth as Yang then recedes.

faist-rick-yin-yang-harmony.jpg