Sign in to follow this  
Tao of the Afro

Where to begin?

I'd like to begin practicing qi gong and nei kung possibly for the health benefits, but I'm primarily looking for a heightened spiritual state. Where should I begin?

EDIT: I'd like to add that I do already have a book on the subject entitled "The Complete System of Self-Healing - Internal Exercises" by Dr. Stephen Chang. I've been practicing crane breathing, bone breathing, and both "small and large heavenly cycles of immortal breathing."

Edited by Tao of the Afro

I highly suggest B.K. Frantzis' books, "Relaxing Into Your Being", "The Great Stillness", and "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body."

The first two give great overviews of the taoist philosophy, as well as basic introductory meditative/qigong practices. The third book is a GREAT book for learning an excellent meditative method, as well as a good qigong routine, all with principles that can help you should you decide to study other material or branch off into martial arts.

Overall, lots of material that can keep your busy for a long time, as well as get you into a healthy, safe, effective practice.

I think I'm going to try to spend some time looking for some sort of master/teacher in the area that I live (not likely, but possible nonetheless), and for if I can't find one, I'm going to compile a list of books to read on the subject and hopefully achieve something on my own.

Any tips for picking out the characteristics of a master/person with moderate-high achievement?

I'd like to begin practicing qi gong and nei kung possibly for the health benefits, but I'm primarily looking for a heightened spiritual state. Where should I begin?

EDIT: I'd like to add that I do already have a book on the subject entitled "The Complete System of Self-Healing - Internal Exercises" by Dr. Stephen Chang. I've been practicing crane breathing, bone breathing, and both "small and large heavenly cycles of immortal breathing."

Those books you already have are quite enough to get you started for a while as those are all very good practices that will take you quite far.

I have been using the exercises from the book for about three days, and when I do it, I can feel a solid ball in the lower part of my stomach, and the top of my forehead tingles quite a bit. The newest experience was my heart beating irregularly fast, but what surprised me the most was the fact that I was able to regulate it by focusing on it, but I thought it became too slow. I also feel random pulsations/vibrating at random points on my body. I'm kind of scared because I don't know if this is bad or not, so I really would like a teacher to help me figure out if anything is wrong and possibly fix me. I'm afraid that I might have messed myself up.

Edited by Tao of the Afro

I've been meaning to ask--I've heard of Tai Chi incorporating qi gong/nei kung aspects. Does this include all styles of Tai Chi?

I'd say most of the styles that can trace their lineage back to one of the originators/higher practitioners can be pretty credible.

So Chen style, Yang Style, Wu style (both), and Sun style would be safest bets.

However, further down the line than that, probably iffy, unless you can trace the lineage back to another legitimate source. I know that some style say they can trace their stuff to Wudang and the like, but I haven't really looked into that kind of stuff. My initial feeling is that there could be a lot more fake stuff than in other places, since it's such a big name, so a lot of people could be trying to cash in on just that.

Also, look at how long the instructor trained with, and with whom. Learning the form itself isn't that hard. Learning how to apply it in combat, or learning the qigong/neigong aspects? Much, MUCH more difficult, subtle, and specific.

Credible teachers are usually pretty open about who they studied with, for how long, what they know, and to some extent, what they don't know. They can list pretty clearly what you can expect to learn in your study with them. It's a little iffy when prospective teachers don't really tell you specifically what they learned, and what they teach. If they stick with vague, sweeping categories.... be cautious.

So unless a teacher says specifically, "I can train you in the martial/qigong/neigong aspects of tai chi", then they probably can't. I know B.K. Frantzis says that, and I think he probably means it. Though you'll notice there aren't a lot of people who are even making that claim. It's pretty high level stuff.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

I've been practicing crane breathing, bone breathing, and both "small and large heavenly cycles of immortal breathing."

bone breathing, and the small and large orbits are intermediate and advanced practices - not something to begin with unless you're open in a certain way. Only a teacher would be able to tell.

I would definitely recommend seeing a teacher. Books are ok - but in my opinion shouldn't be practised from.

If you don't find a good teacher in your area, consider visiting one a little further afield. A high-level teacher will be able to pass on a transmission and enough practices that could keep you progressing at a fast pace for a year before you'd need to see them again.

There are many options of course. However Michael Lomax, who posts here, would be my choice http://www.qigongamerica.com/

What exactly is transmission? is it a physical exchange between teacher and student or just a way of saying the teacher has passed on his technique to the student?

I know this is going to sound stupid but you always begin where you are with what you've got (including a desire to enlighten or deliver yourself) and I find that ironic (from experience) because the self actually doesn't want any of that enlightenment or deliverance stuff.

What I found it wanted is just to be happy and healthy and a bunch of other things IMO/IME (maybe get some pick-up skillz or some other skill such as thinking properly along the way :) ).

I personally find TCM, BK's stuff, eating well, exercise, a bit of Feng Shui, emptiness meditation and having fun arguing about reality (while trying to remain critical of our BS media culture) a good combo :)

If you're gonna do all that stuff at least start slow. take a couple weeks to meditate.

Don't burn out.

What he said :)

I'd like to begin practicing qi gong and nei kung possibly for the health benefits, but I'm primarily looking for a heightened spiritual state. Where should I begin

Hi,

Do you have access to an experienced and realiable teacher in your local area?

This approach works better than books...if the teacher is good, otherwise things will be difficult.

Alternatively work hard those legs as you must open the leg channels to reach a higher state of consciousness especially in today's comfort, technological world that has blocked normal meridian flow. To reach Heaven you must start by building a strong foundation from the roots (Earth). That strong polarity between both points will trigger a massive Qi flow.

Hi,

Do you have access to an experienced and realiable teacher in your local area?

This approach works better than books...if the teacher is good, otherwise things will be difficult.

Alternatively work hard those legs as you must open the leg channels to reach a higher state of consciousness especially in today's comfort, technological world that has blocked normal meridian flow. To reach Heaven you must start by building a strong foundation from the roots (Earth). That strong polarity between both points will trigger a massive Qi flow.

What things might I be able to do to strengthen my leg channels/build the foundation you speak of?

Sign in to follow this