Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

godless religions?

-When learning about Taoism i go the impression that it leaves ones view of god very much open.

-I think that someone could say that they are an atheist and still be a believer in Taoist philosophy. In my view it is not a direct contradiction.

-The general feeling i get from Taoist writings is that whether god exists or not is an irrelevant question, debating or pondering this question is pointless, being present and experiencing reality is more important and leads to a happier life.

-You might want to pick up a book on comparative religions to get a more accurate picture of world religions or simply read all of the "holy books" out there.

-My 2 cents, peace

well i am in the process of a quest if you will i am trying to find a religion wiht out three things

Aliens

A text thatwas not changed

Gods

The reason behind these three things is cause an aliens with high texhnolgy could be mistaken for god.

If humankind has edited a sacred text it is not the rok of its originator.

And lastly gods well more a god who says you must do this like in the chirstian faith and such.

I have done my fair share of reading and such on comparative religions.

Edited by mewtwo

So far on my search i have seen taoism buddhism and possibly jainism fit my search paramiters.

Why are you looking for a religion?

-In my experience peace and contentment comes from within not without.

Edited by Tao Apprentice
  • Like 1

So what religions dont have or are worried about a creator god?

Trick question- All of them.

Seriously, I admire Buddhism because as I understand it, its godless. There's no need to guess at what a supreme being wants, instead there's clear writings about the human condition and a clear method for living well. Ofcourse it couldn't overcome man's desire to religionate (another word I'm patenting) and make things more complicated.

Michael

I just remebered one conficianism.

Anyone got any other ones?

Confucianism is not a religion as it does not deal with the spiritual.

It deals with morality, ethics, way of living, etc.

nope they are still concidered religions thought they can be arguied as a philosophy.

What is the difference between a Religion and a Plosophy?

What is the difference between a Religion and a Plosophy?

Hi Alfred,

(Note: I take it that you meant Philosophy when writing 'Plosophy')

Good question - obviously it is not always black or white, but in trying to generalize I would say that religion is a set of beliefs whereas philosophy (or love of wisdom) is a study. So, I guess that if you accept somebody's else's philosophy without studying and questioning it on your own you're easily back to the premise of religion as you will treat it as a set of beliefs which you choose not to (or may not be willing to) question.

So far on my search i have seen taoism buddhism and possibly jainism fit my search paramiters.

Yup. There may be more options within certain strands of Hinduism. Various shamanic belief system, while perhaps not religions, can also probably qualify.

Why are you looking for a religion?

That's a damn fine question. Why not be content with a spiritual path? Why do you need a religion?

Sign in to follow this