greanforest

QIGONG IN WINTERTIME

I understand there are some precautions people should take when practicing in the winter time such as breathing slower on the outtake than on the intake and practicing in a well lit area .I'm hoping to open this subject up to discussion , to read some personal anecdotes and ask some questions ,Thank you

Great topic!

I too am interested in hearing what others have to say about winter time practice. Practicing outside and barefoot is great during warm weather time, but what to do in winter? Practice concerns, etc.

Great topic!

I too am interested in hearing what others have to say about winter time practice. Practicing outside and barefoot is great during warm weather time, but what to do in winter? Practice concerns, etc.

Hm yeah exhales longer then inhales to bring up the guardian chi, at the same time slightly lessening the energy development.

The raising the guardian chi is keep sickness/injury away.

there's a bunch on that though.

Practicing outside and barefoot is great during warm weather time

It might not be, at least for some methods. It might be that using insulation between helps the magnetic energy keep from leaking into the ground, even if it's warm. I'm not sure. Yogis even go further, by using kusa grass beneath their fur mats, which supposedly has radiation protective properties...

Anyway, I know one big problem with winter for qigongers is the cold winds. So bundle up. Especially cover the back of the neck (jade pillow area). Practice in an area which doesn't have much wind.

If you want to connect with nature, just look out the window as you practice. You can attune to the qi of the trees and stuff simply by being aware of them.

Don't warm yourself too much in the winter. I've read that summer is the time to sweat, and winter you should try to keep your pores closed so that you don't drain your kidneys. Drinking a little wine is supposed to be good in the winter, as it increases circulation and heat.

Or practicing lower dantien methods, which stimulate the inner fire.

I've read that taking hot baths and showers drains the kidney qi, so a better idea would be using water that's barely warm. A more effective way to warm the body when you're cold is through light exercise.

Another big thing in qigong is massaging your kidneys with your hands, especially in winter.

breathing slower on the outtake than on the intake and practicing in a well lit area

I have no idea about a well lit area...

When you exhale longer than inhale, you warm the body (and activate the parasympathetic nervous system).

Look at how Nature is in the winter.

Try to emulate that.

Don't do too much.

Sleep more, for winter is a time of 'close'... a season of withdrawal, of in-folding.

The lesser the activity the better. Even mighty trees find winter to be a good time to rest their roots. Same for humans (whatever roots mean to the individual).

This is indeed an excellent topic. I dont have a whole lot to contribute. I think Chinese medicine has guidelines for lifestyle for different seasons. So that would probably be the best source of information on the subject.

Honestly I hate winter, cuz I like to be outside in the fresh air and I like to sweat a lot, honestly I would prefer if there could always be summer.

Edited by Immortal4life
  • Like 1

Yeah I live in winter wonderland for half of the year. If you don't like cold don't come to Finland. I might move to a more suitable climate one day myself :)

I dont have much body fat, I'm cool and airy and I really feel it when the cold kicks in.. Mornings are the most difficult. After practice I often feel cold even though it usually doesn't bother during the practice.

I have a infrared heater, the heat is really pleasant compared to a "traditional" electric heater. Also I heat the house (an old one from 1920's) with wood stoves and ovens. That heat is the sweetest.

The worst suffering from the cold I feel in the skin, as shivers and "pinching". I wonder if there's a way to cure that aside from winter swimming or cold water dousing, which I don't want to do..

I cup and massage the kidneys several times during the day. I try to eat more and more warming foods and herbs in the winter. Turmeric is great as it warms the blood and acts as a natural antibiotic, thus I don't seem to catch colds so easily. This is of course affected by several things, but it's funny how my friends who live in modern apartments with central heating get really bad colds and flus many times a year and I just get some runny nose and shivers from time to time, it's been very long since I had a "day off" because of colds. One thing is that I try to eat foods in proper combinations and avoid milk, cheese and most meats.

Chanting OM or the six word chant for several hours a day keeps the sinuses open and prevents congestion.

I must admit I love a good cup of espresso coffee, especially in the wintertime..

Yes great topic greanforest :)

I learned a valuable lesson last winter about rugging up - although i felt cold outside in my garage during meditation, i chose to ignore it & soldier on.

Sitting in half lotus opens up your ankles to the cold & oh boy did it get into mine :( i was hobbling around for about a week with some serious ankle pain. :blush:

In the winter it's best to reserve your energy. Calming exercise, introspection, deep nei kung - rather than vigorous, powerful, external methods. Keep ejaculation to a minimum.

Massage the kidneys daily - gentle but firm - press with the back of your hand and massage in a circle with your arms as relaxed as possible. Don't tap or slap the kidneys.

When doing deep breathing make sure you expand the lower back as well as the belly - this increases lung capacity, stretches the diaphragm as well as massaging the kidneys and other organs from inside.

Rub and massage your ears until they get hot.

Take half body baths daily. These are great - fill the bath so it reaches just above your belly button - but no higher. Use warm water (about 40C 104F) stay in there for 20 to 30 minutes. This is a surprisingly powerful practice if done daily - particularly if you 'feel the cold', have circulation problems or cold extremities. I often do the 312 method in the bath :)

• Like 1

King raised a point that I have been pondering pretty much ever since I began qigong a couple years ago, and that is what constitutes winter officially? I was living in Alaska which my Finish friends who visited me there told me is pretty much identical to Finland. Now I live in San Antonio Texas which in my alaskaized eyes does not even have a true winter, but the wimps down here think they do haha. So what determines "winter" the sesonal climate, or the time of year?

I understand there are some precautions people should take when practicing in the winter time such as breathing slower on the outtake than on the intake and practicing in a well lit area .I'm hoping to open this subject up to discussion , to read some personal anecdotes and ask some questions ,Thank you

my teacher tells us that we should focus on seated meditation, going-in vs going-out type practices (even in your forms, the mental approach should be more inward as opposed to outward).

We do a lot of prayer hands meditation in winter...

King raised a point that I have been pondering pretty much ever since I began qigong a couple years ago, and that is what constitutes winter officially? I was living in Alaska which my Finish friends who visited me there told me is pretty much identical to Finland. Now I live in San Antonio Texas which in my alaskaized eyes does not even have a true winter, but the wimps down here think they do haha. So what determines "winter" the sesonal climate, or the time of year?

When it's too cold to do the things I do in warmer times of the year in the manner I normally do them :D

So what determines "winter" the sesonal climate, or the time of year?

I've heard that time of year plays a role.

Consider that the locals are more sensitive, so it's good to pay attention to them and go within yourself during these months.