Ulises

God is a rhythm

Fascinating...words from a yogi of the Pashupati lineage - natural spontaneous yoga -, one of the earliest yoga lineages (very close to the Bushman Shaking Medicine)

On Music and Dance

Music holds a very high place in the practice of yoga. I would even say that without music, it is impossible to attain to the Lord, for the Lord himself is music. In India we say, "Nada Brahma" which means “Sound is God”. It is just like the place in the Bible where it says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God.” If we live a musical life, we can say that we are living a life of sadhana, a spiritual life. Music is the greatest intoxicant in the world. When one is totally intoxicated by music he goes into samadhi.

There is another aspect of music, and that is dancing. Dance purifies the body, and music purifies the mind. If we use music for its purest purpose, it will not fail to bring us the highest results. In spiritual life in India , there are two main manifestations of God that are worshipped: that of Lord Shiva, and that of Lord Krishna. Both are great musicians and master dancers. My experience shows me that those who do not know how to sing and dance will never reach God.

For in deep meditation when prana begins to effortlessly rise, music and dance are born from within. This is not the result of conscious intention; it is simply an expression of prana. So, dance is a part of meditation and does not disturb it. This spontaneous dance has two phases: external and internal. At first the dance has external movements. Gradually these movements cease until there is complete stillness, externally. Yet the dance continues inside.

The spontaneous dance that I went into outside my Rajeshvari meditation room was like what used to happen to me many years ago in the earlier stages of yoga. Then it stopped and I moved into another stage. On this occasion, behind Rajeshvari, I started by doing some hand mudras, and all of a sudden, after many years of absence, the dance started to come to me again spontaneously, automatically. There was a difference, however, between what happened in the past and this: before the dance was very fast; this time it was very slow and rhythmic. When this dance happens, it stretches all the nerves so much that after five minutes you are ready to collapse. Yet I, at the age of 65, was able to dance constantly for over half an hour! This kind of music and dance is the very highest kind of sadhana; the very highest method of purification of mind and body.

Swami Kripalvananda

"God is a rhythm"

Brad Keeney

Edited by Ulises
  • Like 2

Thank you for posting this.

I like this guy and his messages from the beginning (when I stumbled upon http://www.naturalmeditation.net/Design/nmdocument.html a few years ago), although I consider it very difficult to renounce from will as it is often expressed by his follower(s), especially for a western mind. It's probably rather about merging ones will by understanding it as a part of the ONE will it ever was.

Cool, that reminds me, This Saturday the IMU (www.lifesurfing.org) in Chicago has there full moon meditation. 3 rounds of 45 minutes silent meditation followed by 15 minutes of free form dance. Its a great combination. The power of dance (like that of just standing) is often underestimated.

Michael

Lucky dog. :D You goin'?

Yup, unfortunately I only make it to 3 or 4 a year. Nice mellow people and often there's only a handful or two there. You'd think it'd be packed, it ends pretty late and is in a so so part of town. The teachers are mellow Eckhardt Tolle types (including the accent).

I should probably do a session or two to Gabriel Roths 'Sweat Your Prayer' (http://www.amazon.com/Ecstatic-Dance-Gabrielle-Video-Collection/dp/B0001610TI/ref=pd_sim_b_2) stuff so I remember how to move w/ some flow.

Weird wonderful things are out there. I met a guy Wild Bill at a Burning Man event. He's south of Chicago in a group that has a wild bonfire party each full moon. I've never been there, but once it warms up I've got to search it out and join in.

Great shares, Ulises, as always.

You are describing my #1 practice: ecstatic authentic dance.

My job is merely to get on the dance floor, and allow my body to take over. There's never any "wrong" unless I'm trying to make something happen, or to appear some way. It's just a continual flow of movement, which varies from almost motionless stretch to powerful and wild abandon, depending on what my body needs.

Then, when my body is awake and (relatively) integral, it lets me know that it is ready to take partners. And yes, the connection in partnership is an energetic transmission, of sorts, and has been spreading around our dance community. In particular, the partner dance that uses all body parts as contact, and with no expectations, no anticipation, that is really taking hold where I dance.

No performance, only process. No 3rd person action (how am I seen?), only 1st person immersion. No defining what it is I'm doing; only listening to sensation. Very very powerful practice.

• Like 1

My job is merely to get on the dance floor, and allow my body to take over. There's never any "wrong" unless I'm trying to make something happen, or to appear some way. It's just a continual flow of movement, which varies from almost motionless stretch to powerful and wild abandon, depending on what my body needs.

Then, when my body is awake and (relatively) integral, it lets me know that it is ready to take partners. And yes, the connection in partnership is an energetic transmission, of sorts, and has been spreading around our dance community. In particular, the partner dance that uses all body parts as contact, and with no expectations, no anticipation, that is really taking hold where I dance.

No performance, only process. No 3rd person action (how am I seen?), only 1st person immersion. No defining what it is I'm doing; only listening to sensation. Very very powerful practice.

Otis, have you ever played with any baguazhang? if not, maybe something to consider?!

Beautiful, exquisitely described!

Otis, have you ever played with any baguazhang? if not, maybe something to consider?!

I do have a dance / IMA practice that revolves around circle-walking, although strictly speaking, it isn't Bagua. I am interested in learning more about it.

Ulises, do you know the poet Mary Oliver? Beautiful wise words, that often reflect and revolve around authentic dance.

Ulises, do you know the poet Mary Oliver? Beautiful wise words, that often reflect and revolve around authentic dance.

"You don't have to be good..." ; )

I love her

Edited by Ulises

I do have a dance / IMA practice that revolves around circle-walking, although strictly speaking, it isn't Bagua. I am interested in learning more about it.

Otis, i thought you might be a circle-walker/dancer :)

think of baguazhang as a magical dance of vortexes played in physical poetry

woven on the circle.

i am interested to learn more of your dance?IMA circle walking. :)

Otis, i thought you might be a circle-walker/dancer :)

think of baguazhang as a magical dance of vortexes played in physical poetry

woven on the circle.

i am interested to learn more of your dance?IMA circle walking. :)

It's something I noticed myself doing for a few years now, but I only recently thought about it in context of (the little that I know about) Bagua. Like everything else, it arose on its own, and I became aware of it, once it had established itself.

I do a lot of (Dervish-like) whirling in place, and the circle kind of a grew out of that. I find myself spinning, but not in place; my path describes a circle. Later, I noticed that the circle pattern would evolve to include more Tai Chi-like movements. Sometimes, if I'm facing in one direction the whole time, it comes out a lot like the box step. And sometimes two opposite direction circles get interwoven, and a figure-8 emerges. None of this, of course, is planned, and just shows up on its own. Like all my authentic movement, it is exceptionally joyful to be in the middle of, and feels as if my body is training itself.

It's something I noticed myself doing for a few years now, but I only recently thought about it in context of (the little that I know about) Bagua. Like everything else, it arose on its own, and I became aware of it, once it had established itself.

I do a lot of (Dervish-like) whirling in place, and the circle kind of a grew out of that. I find myself spinning, but not in place; my path describes a circle. Later, I noticed that the circle pattern would evolve to include more Tai Chi-like movements. Sometimes, if I'm facing in one direction the whole time, it comes out a lot like the box step. And sometimes two opposite direction circles get interwoven, and a figure-8 emerges. None of this, of course, is planned, and just shows up on its own. Like all my authentic movement, it is exceptionally joyful to be in the middle of, and feels as if my body is training itself.

super awesome :) do you have video? i am very curious about all of this. i am also curious about your stepping.

super awesome :) do you have video? i am very curious about all of this. i am also curious about your stepping.

I have lots of video of me dancing in the physical environment (on stairs, bulldozers, etc.), because that was a project of mine, for awhile.

But most of my authentic dance practice happens at a barefoot boogie, which is kind of a sacred space, so they don't allow cameras.

I do a lot of spontaneous Qi Gong at the beach, and sometimes circle-walking emerges there. I'll see if I can't shoot some soon.

I have lots of video of me dancing in the physical environment (on stairs, bulldozers, etc.), because that was a project of mine, for awhile.

But most of my authentic dance practice happens at a barefoot boogie, which is kind of a sacred space, so they don't allow cameras.

I do a lot of spontaneous Qi Gong at the beach, and sometimes circle-walking emerges there. I'll see if I can't shoot some soon.

thanks Otis, i always like to share this

http://www.youtube.com/user/zerostao?feature=mhum#p/f/11/IcrBBigD-wM

"I have lots of video of me dancing in the physical environment (on stairs, bulldozers, etc.), because that was a project of mine, for awhile."

Is it on the mayhem link? That sounds cool :-)

"I have lots of video of me dancing in the physical environment (on stairs, bulldozers, etc.), because that was a project of mine, for awhile."

Is it on the mayhem link? That sounds cool :-)

Yeah, it's on the link, but it's not easy to find, cuz those videos are a couple years old already.

Here's one. It's a bit long, but you'll get the idea from the first couple minutes. I spent a lot of time, trespassing on railroad property. I did several more vids along the same idea, just exploring new 3-dimensional dance floors that I found out in the world.

Yeah, it's on the link, but it's not easy to find, cuz those videos are a couple years old already.

Here's one. It's a bit long, but you'll get the idea from the first couple minutes. I spent a lot of time, trespassing on railroad property. I did several more vids along the same idea, just exploring new 3-dimensional dance floors that I found out in the world.

Oh wow! That's very cool. There's also something I found, um, a bit :blush: about the moves in relationship to the industrial gear but if I spoke about it here, I'd go even further down the "bat-crazy" route so will abstain :) Our friend with the fine chakra-analysis could do a great one on this IMO :) I reckon you're a natural tantric :wub:

Oh wow! That's very cool. There's also something I found, um, a bit :blush: about the moves in relationship to the industrial gear but if I spoke about it here, I'd go even further down the "bat-crazy" route so will abstain :) Our friend with the fine chakra-analysis could do a great one on this IMO :) I reckon you're a natural tantric :wub:

Thanks, Kate! I'm not quite sure how to translate :blush: , but it's clearly a good thing.

Natural tantric? Thank you, but I doubt more so than anyone else. If it weren't for my practice of authentic dance, started in my early 30s, I would never have been led to play with parkour, starting at 38, and then these explorations, a year later. So I'm just waking up to my body and its connection with the physical world, after spending my youth with the fear of injury and the tyranny of muscle spasm.