strawdog65

Will history regard us as creators or destroyers?

I Love the great thinkers you all are!

I'd like to know what all of you think regarding the past/present

human activities on our world, and how might historians of the

far off future regard us?

Will we be considered very ignorant and needless destroyers

of all we come into contact with?.... Or will those far off historians

consider us in a more positive manner? Seeing us as the children we really are.

I believe we will be considered a little good and a lot more the destroyers.

It is true we have created so much, literature, art, religions that make sense...

you know that kind of stuff. But... if we were to weigh the amount of creating

versus the amount of destroying, which would be more? (not empirically speaking

that is.) What will be our legacy for the future inhabitants of our beautiful

blue world?

Edited by strawdog65

Remember that Shiva is known as Shiva the destroyer. At this point in history, we need a little more Shiva in our lives, less clinging to the status quo. What good is creating if its built on rotten values?

• Like 1

Or will those far off historians

consider us in a more positive manner? Seeing us as the children we really are.

Hehehe. Excellent job at trying to direct the thought pattern of the discussion.

I can speak only for myself regarding this subject and I will say that I try to be more creative than destructive.

But, in order for me to be creative other things must be destroyed. That is a natural process that cannot be avoided.

So, should we just sit on our fat butts and do nothing so that we neither create or destroy? I think not. Look at the universe. It is constantly destroying in order to create. And it is all beyond the opinions and control of man. Why shouldn't man follow these same processes?

One thing I have learned as a history major (just graduated) is that much of how history is viewed is determined by the historian telling the history. ;)

• Like 1

Hehehe. Excellent job at trying to direct the thought pattern of the discussion.

I can speak only for myself regarding this subject and I will say that I try to be more creative than destructive.

But, in order for me to be creative other things must be destroyed. That is a natural process that cannot be avoided.

So, should we just sit on our fat butts and do nothing so that we neither create or destroy? I think not. Look at the universe. It is constantly destroying in order to create. And it is all beyond the opinions and control of man. Why shouldn't man follow these same processes?

Thanks for your interesting reply Marblehead!

I agree with the points you mention, there is no actual creation without

the raw materials from the destruction of something else.

I guess how I am applying the question is in the framework of needless

destruction of our biosphere and the dwindling of the species.

It is entirely debatable as to how much of this is because of the

influence of man/womankind.

But as a yardstick of measuring our intelligence towards the world,

can we not create and treat our world and all the diverse forms of

life here in a more reasonable and sustainable way?

An example I would make is that of animals that are so well adapted

to their environments that there is no need to destroy.

Dolphins for example...highly evolved, highly intelligent, perfectly

adapted to their environment.

Just because we have these large brains and opposable thumbs, does it really

make sense to destroy and consume everything , with regards to NO thing.

When we destroy the world we also destroy ourselves.

The attitude that we are above all this and untouched

by the decisions we make is irresponsible.

What we can not change we endure,

What can be changed we must.

We can influence the future,

By this moment, NOW.

Peace

One thing I have learned as a history major (just graduated) is that much of how history is viewed is determined by the historian telling the history. ;)

Yes...History is just that. His Story.

Good point!

• Like 1

Remember that Shiva is known as Shiva the destroyer. At this point in history, we need a little more Shiva in our lives, less clinging to the status quo. What good is creating if its built on rotten values?

I agree that cyclic renewal through destruction is a positive force.

Thanks for that!

And although I forget who the person is that is accredited as being the first historian of any culture, it was said of him that he never allowed the truth to get in the way of a good story. I think we should still study history with that consideration in mind.

I guess how I am applying the question is in the framework of needless

destruction of our biosphere and the dwindling of the species.

It is entirely debatable as to how much of this is because of the

influence of man/womankind.

Peace

Okay. Now I can agree with you. Thoughtless or willful destruction is a very ugly reflection of humankind.

I have always had a thing about sport hunting - the killing of animals for the joy of killing.

Timber clear-cutting is obscene if the area cut is not replanted with the original species that existed there prior to cutting. Farming timber is a different thing even though it is not all that pretty because the lands are well cared for after the cutting.

Yes, humankind has caused a lot of unnecessary destruction to the planet. And we are over-populating it big time. Little wonder there is so much energy spent in order to have access to the planet's resources. There just isn't enough for the resources to go around to everyone. Millions of people are doing without even their basic human needs.

And since there is little effort to correct this gross wrong-doing all I will suggest is that the best thing would be to blow it up and start over again - like what happened 65 million years ago.

Looking back in hindsight, people are always viewed poorly, and mistakes are always what will be remembered.

Most people today probably think of anyone who lived in the past as being primitive, ignorant, and all those kinds of things.

In the future, the people of today will be looked at no differently.

I don't really care or worry about it. I dont consider myself as being part of any "we". I can only worry about how I will be remembered, not other people who lived at the same time as me. If I'm truly lucky history will not remember me at all haha. :ph34r:B)

Everyone wants to be remembered and famous, but look at what fame can do to people. Look at all the famous people who overdose on pain killers, whose families fall apart, get major perosnal problems, become weird and crazy, alcoholics, etc.

I don't think people of today will be remembered for their art or literature, I think these things are dying. People in the future won't even value them. As peole get more into computers, texting, messenger, email, etc. things like grammar, english, spelling, etc. are going down the toilet lol.

Edited by Immortal4life

Looking back in hindsight, people are always viewed poorly, and mistakes are always what will be remembered.

Most people today probably think of anyone who lived in the past as being primitive, ignorant, and all those kinds of things.

In the future, the people of today will be looked at no differently.

I don't really care or worry about it. I dont consider myself as being part of any "we". I can only worry about how I will be remembered, not other people who lived at the same time as me. If I'm truly lucky history will not remember me at all haha. :ph34r:B)

Everyone wants to be remembered and famous, but look at what fame can do to people. Look at all the famous people who overdose on pain killers, whose families fall apart, get major perosnal problems, become weird and crazy, alcoholics, etc.

I don't think people of today will be remembered for their art or literature, I think these things are dying. People in the future won't even value them. As peole get more into computers, texting, messenger, email, etc.

things like grammar, english, spelling, etc. are going down the toilet lol.

Thanks for your reply Immortal.

I sincerely hope that somehow, the Art of our time period can be saved.

I think that it is the best of who we are that speaks through the artistic

works of man/womankind, whether it be literature, dancing, plays or paintings.

If it has stirred a movement within you're being then it is important to be

remembered.

I do hope for us being remembered as the time of awakening to our to consciousness.

Okay. Now I can agree with you. Thoughtless or willful destruction is a very ugly reflection of humankind.

I have always had a thing about sport hunting - the killing of animals for the joy of killing.

Timber clear-cutting is obscene if the area cut is not replanted with the original species that existed there prior to cutting. Farming timber is a different thing even though it is not all that pretty because the lands are well cared for after the cutting.

Yes, humankind has caused a lot of unnecessary destruction to the planet. And we are over-populating it big time. Little wonder there is so much energy spent in order to have access to the planet's resources. There just isn't enough for the resources to go around to everyone. Millions of people are doing without even their basic human needs.

And since there is little effort to correct this gross wrong-doing all I will suggest is that the best thing would be to blow it up and start over again - like what happened 65 million years ago.

Need I say anything at all?

WE ARE PART OF EVERYTHING

There is no real separation,

That is the illusion,

See beyond the curtain,

Awaken the sleepers.

When you refer to We, I guess we're talking about the world community. What would a historian see - better yet, a visitor from outer or inner space? The first thing they would notice is whether mankind had figured out how to share the wealth in a reasonable fashion amongst all the world citizens, or whether greed kept the wealth clumped up in tiny little circles like a frog in a blender. They would have to observe the quality of life of the very least of the citizens to evaluate the heart of the whole. I'm afraid we wouldn't score very highly if this fellow comes soon.....

(And then there's the whole ecology thing.)

When you refer to We, I guess we're talking about the world community. What would a historian see - better yet, a visitor from outer or inner space? The first thing they would notice is whether mankind had figured out how to share the wealth in a reasonable fashion amongst all the world citizens, or whether greed kept the wealth clumped up in tiny little circles like a frog in a blender. They would have to observe the quality of life of the very least of the citizens to evaluate the heart of the whole. I'm afraid we wouldn't score very highly if this fellow comes soon.....

(And then there's the whole ecology thing.)

Manitou,

I like the way you put that about the quality of life for the

citizens of the world who have the least. When is what we have

ever enough? Only when even the poorest among us are considered

equally, will change then take place.

Peace to you.