Thunder_Gooch

New Interview With Chang's Top Student Jim

This is a very odd interview. He can't contact JC so he flies out and arrives unannounced - JC asks him strange questions like how old he is and then goes to the Bank (?) and then disappears for three days on a business trip. What exactly are we supposed to make of this? :ninja:

(John) How old are you ?

(Jim) Im 50+ Sifu

(John)Hmmm,too old for next level.

Too old? Why?

Thanks.

Also yea.. If "Lim" can devote himself for 10 years and nearly reach enlightenment.. Why can't someone with a good heart do it in 30 to 50 years?

Maybe even more then 50 more years.

Anyway yeah that's my input.

Yeah, it's neat that we get an interview about this but.... yeah, some of the actions of the people involved seem kind of sketchy. Obviously there's a lot to be said for being there and knowing the people involved, but just hearing the description of the actions..... it kinda sounds like John Chang didn't want the guy to be there :lol: and the guy in the interview was being avoided? So he just shows up, "so no one can make any excuses"? Seems a bit awkward.

If a teacher is willing to teach, you'd know it. If they aren't talking to you, then maybe there is something you still need to work on, and you have all the tools to do it yourself, so the teacher doesn't want you to be around, but rather working on it on your own, or they just aren't interested in having you around any more. Though you don't always know what's going through someone's mind, their actions can clue you in. Again, hard to say from just this interview, buuuut IMHO it doesn't sound promising for this guy...

But I bet in the west this guy gets a lot of clout for being a "western student of THE John Chang." And the way the interviewer kept referring to "Chang" and asking questions, it was like some tabloid media outlet. I'm all for masters being open, I'm all for legitimate practices being made open, but seriously, try to refer to people with a bit more respect!

Again, it's cool that there are people interacting with teachers and students of Mo Pai, but I dunno, it doesn't seem like there is as much enthusiasm on their end for teaching as it is on our end for learning.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

This is a very odd interview. He can't contact JC so he flies out and arrives unannounced - JC asks him strange questions like how old he is and then goes to the Bank (?) and then disappears for three days on a business trip. What exactly are we supposed to make of this? :ninja:

I have a lot of strong opinions about: 1. This entire interview, 2. JC, and 3. This so-called "top Western student", 4. Mo Pai, and all of them are very negative. That's why I didn't respond initially. I'll say this though -- it all is a big load of shit. All of it.

• Like 1

He is one of the first western students. Does not mean he is one of the top students. There

are many chinese descent who have already obtained level 4 with John Chang. Chang will not

teach you if you are not chinese beyond level 2. I have talked to Jim myself. He is frustrated

he has not gone further along the path.

Also, Chang is no longer teaching. He has senior students teaching now

and have taken his place. He is focusing on his business and other

family things I guess, from what I hear.

Edited by dragonfire

He is one of the first western students. Does not mean he is one of the top students. There

are many chinese descent who have already obtained level 4 with John Chang. Chang will not

teach you if you are not chinese beyond level 2. I have talked to Jim myself. He is frustrated

he has not gone further along the path.

Xenophobia is a beautiful thing.

Well it sounds like JC lost the title of being headmaster because he taught Jim and other western students.

I feel for JC having reached such a high level of acheivement then being held back by a promise he made when he was younger which was kind of racist and i sense JC didnt want it to be that way because he himself is not that way in his heart.

I think its unfair to JC because he was the current headmaster of mopai and he should have the right to move the school in a new direction but truth be told he has dead guys visiting him and telling him how to run his school who are kind of touch in this world today.

JC walked a hard line of moving past racist ideology that hinders the spread of the internal arts and keeping his promise.

For those who were confused by this video, it's only part 1 of 4. It's a nice interview.

Thanks for your enthusiasm, More Pie Guy.

He is frustrated he has not gone further along the path.

I can only imagine his frustration: a teacher just telling you sorry i can't teach you any more because of your race.

-It's always been my thoughts that racial and cultural discrimination is unbecoming of any spiritual practices.

Edited by Tao Apprentice

Hm living out punishment by staying on earth sort of caught me.. Being that how would the headmaster of mo pai be here unless you off'd alot of people.

But the whole idea of it being that way might not be true either, just a thought.

Apech I have no idea. Apparently a man after 40 years old cannot begin to join yin & yang as the body cannot take the shock.

Edited by TheTaoBum

Well it sounds like JC lost the title of being headmaster because he taught Jim and other western students.

I feel for JC having reached such a high level of acheivement then being held back by a promise he made when he was younger which was kind of racist and i sense JC didnt want it to be that way because he himself is not that way in his heart.

I think its unfair to JC because he was the current headmaster of mopai and he should have the right to move the school in a new direction but truth be told he has dead guys visiting him and telling him how to run his school who are kind of touch in this world today.

JC walked a hard line of moving past racist ideology that hinders the spread of the internal arts and keeping his promise.

What happened with the title is open to interpretation. If you believe that spirits have the same status as living beings, then he was deposed by the spirit of his dead master. If you don't believe that spirits have the same status as living beings, there are two options: 1. JC was deluded by his visions in that he took them too seriously and forgot about the empty nature of phenomena, or 2. JC wasn't deluded by his visions at all, he just used the spirit of his dead master as a convenient excuse to break a promise.

Now, if you get into the views of his student, it gets worse. His student (the one who is interviewed) believes those spirits are actually demons. He says that right in the interview! Amazing. So if you truly believe that, why would you follow a man who takes advice from demons? How confused must you be? So this Western student comes into internal arts with enormous baggage of his useless religion, and then, he doesn't even act consistently with his own beliefs. I mean, if you really think JC is consorting with demons, why are you still learning from the guy? Why are you chasing him around and working on publishing a book? Talk about cognitive dissonance.

Personally I don't believe in any kind of demons, but when I examine other people, I look at their consistency first of all. If the person has slight discrepancies in their view and conduct, that's OK. But if there are blatant discrepancies between various views or between the views and conduct, that person is sick.

So what I get from this interview is that JC is basically a xenophobic asshole who used the spirit of his master as a convenient excuse to dump a student. Alternatively JC is deluded by his visions and can't comprehend emptiness, as he takes the content of visions at face value, which is very wrong. A wise person takes nothing at face value, not ordinary appearances and not visionary ones. At the very least, if you decide to dump a student, be a man. Tell him "I am dumping you." Don't dodge the guy, you fucking pussy. Be a fucking man and say things straight. If you're a filthy xenophobe, just act like it and stop making excuses and running away to the bank and whatnot. Tell the guy to get lost. How hard is that?

Making age excuses is complete bullshit too. I don't buy the age excuse for one second.

So both JC and this student are complete morons. They kind of deserve each other, karmically speaking. They are both internally conflicted and ignorant. And anyone who learns from them is going to need serious psychiatric care later on.

I used to be curious about Mo Pai, but this interview has permanently aborted even the last shred of curiosity I had about it.

I strongly advise anyone and everyone to stay away from any people involved with Mo Pai.

I don't really understand the reason to discriminate in who gets taught a system now, originally when a lot of the energy and martial systems were developed many rival groups were at war or in competition with each other so discrimination of teaching were needed to stop your best weapons falling into your enemies hands. That is simply not the case now so it seems this lineage is stuck in ancient outdated modes of thinking or worse.

What is level 4?

Have you read JC book? Level 4 (of 72) is described a little bit in there. He says that is the level where one has to be prepared to die since he says many have trying to achieve it. It seems to be the complete and utter merging of Yin and Yang in the Dan Tian. But I do not recall if he said there was more danger after a certain age.

Have you read JC book? Level 4 (of 72) is described a little bit in there. He says that is the level where one has to be prepared to die since he says many have trying to achieve it. It seems to be the complete and utter merging of Yin and Yang in the Dan Tian. But I do not recall if he said there was more danger after a certain age.

Ok thanks - no I haven't read the book I just wanted to get an idea of what people are talking about.

I have a lot of strong opinions about: 1. This entire interview, 2. JC, and 3. This so-called "top Western student", 4. Mo Pai, and all of them are very negative. That's why I didn't respond initially. I'll say this though -- it all is a big load of shit. All of it.

Shit as opposed to what other teachers and schools? The real BS in my opinion is that information on how to ascend isn't freely available to all humans.

The real BS in my opinion is that information on how to ascend isn't freely available to all humans.

Yeah I agree.

Also gold it really sounds like you have some past regression about Mo pai, for whatever reason I would'nt know.

It's just an assumption, much like your post above.