strawdog65

A world without Hate...what would it look like?

Hello everyone!

I am really enjoying the company of you all!

I'd like to pose a question....

It occurs to me that because we live in this

world of sight, where our differences are all we see,

what if we just regarded everyone else as a part

of us?

You name it and there is someone pointing out

how they are different than that person. It exists

across all cultures and almost all belief systems.

We, as the human race, create this unending dilemma

knowingly and many times unconsciously every single

day.

Human race...What does it mean to you?

To me it means we are all fundamentally the same.

No white race. No black race. No anything...but Humans!

Culturally we are all very different, but we are all

a culture of this world. How often astronauts are quoted

as saying that when you see the Earth from space, floating,

spinning like a great jewel, it changes your very perception

of what it means to be part of the human race. There are no

lines separating us, continents, ocean, countries all exist

as only part of the whole.

We as people need to get it...yes culturally we are different,

this is a wonderful thing, think of all the great food!

I wish we could do away with all the labels for who we are.

I wish that the color of a persons skin was seen as nothing more

than a reminder that we are all unique, each with their own gifts,

and nothing more.

As far as most organized religion, there is no foreseeable answer.

That may take a visitor from another world to shake lose enough,

to have consciousness finally make a leap forward.

My point is... the proof is in the pudding, and that just

happens to be us!

To treat everyone equally the same, to show enthusiasm and respect

for cultures not your own. To show patience and provide examples

of treatment to members of that society who are not presently treated respectfully,

that it is beneficial to all the world that human decency become universal.

The obstacles I see to this are our action and reactions.

I for one am engaged in being part of the answer, stop the judging, the

name calling, the pointing out of only differences.

How about acceptance mixed with guidance and compassion?

How about being a kinder gentler Yin person?

How about the realization that you are part of everyone else?

Am I crazy for wanting this?

If so...crazy feels pretty good.

CowTao!

You are so right!

Thich Nhat Hanh...Is such a man.

Going back to the sixties, he has always been a

voice of reason and compassion.

Awesome!...Thank you for your reply.

A world without Hate..what would it look like?

I'm thinking we'd either be ruled by damn dirty apes or there'd only be 1 or 2 people alive..3 tops.

but seriously, there is an undertone of evil to wanting a world without hate!? I don't want my kids to fight, nobody does. No matter how lovey dovey I am they will find a reason to fight. I could be so threatening and lay down punishments so severe that I could possibly get a permanent peace. Authoritative governments have tried this approach, the 'if we imprison the wrong thinkers' when the dust clears we'll all get along fine.

Its not worth it. Hate isn't the enemy.. Its acting on hate. There's no magic wand to change human nature, but live and let live is possible. We shouldn't be so concerned with what others think, as long as they don't hurt others.

Frankly, I don't want a world where everyone is always kind and gentle and yin. IMO that would be horrible, where people are only half alive.

Michael

P.S. my kids are good 70& of the time, great 20% and absolute stinkers 10%. Know what, we have the most fun when they're stinkers.

CowTao!

You are so right!

Thich Nhat Hanh...Is such a man.

Going back to the sixties, he has always been a

voice of reason and compassion.

Awesome!...Thank you for your reply.

Very broad question....imo what you see in Saṃsāra is equivilant too a neverending revolving door in a hotel. Instead of wishing/desiring to change it, it is best to renounce it all together.

A world without Hate..what would it look like?

I'm thinking we'd either be ruled by damn dirty apes or there'd only be 1 or 2 people alive..3 tops.

but seriously, there is an undertone of evil to wanting a world without hate!? I don't want my kids to fight, nobody does. No matter how lovey dovey I am they will find a reason to fight. I could be so threatening and lay down punishments so severe that I could possibly get a permanent peace. Authoritative governments have tried this approach, the 'if we imprison the wrong thinkers' when the dust clears we'll all get along fine.

Its not worth it. Hate isn't the enemy.. Its acting on hate. There's no magic wand to change human nature, but live and let live is possible. We shouldn't be so concerned with what others think, as long as they don't hurt others.

Frankly, I don't want a world where everyone is always kind and gentle and yin. IMO that would be horrible, where people are only half alive.

Michael

P.S. my kids are good 70& of the time, great 20% and absolute stinkers 10%. Know what, we have the most fun when they're stinkers.

I accept what you are saying. I see your point.

I would be ok with people not acting in a hateful manner.

I guess what I was striving for is bringing the idea

of oneness to the world in general.

I would bore of complete agreement as well, but we can

challenge one another and still be kinder and understanding

while doing it.

The labeling and separating we do is what I believe to be the

root of our feelings of being better than others, merely

for being different.

Yeah, it is sad that reality is constantly getting in the way of idealism, isn't it?

Yes, I know things could be much better for humanity than they are now. I suppose that nearly all of us could be a little better at accepting others.

But I will always be one of the first to say that we should not accept those (at least their behavior) who intentionally do harm to others.

But just because a person has skin of another color doesn't cause harm to others nor does the fact that he/she practices a different religion than another does.

So we accept the acceptable and ignore or eliminate the unacceptable from "our" life.

I so agree with you.. I just wish..that's how it was...not judging others..perceiving everyone as one...whereas those of us who do this, get nowhere with this perception, the world thinks differently. They hate, judge, discriminate, insult, criticize...for what reason? It's about seeing whta's in people's souls and accepting everyone, respecting everyone....but on this planet, is mostly disrespect...judgment, harshness, wrongdoing...hatred...so much hatred that stems from so many things...what bothers me is how people can't even control the hatred they have inside of them..and lash out at others, or hurt others...because of it.

it seems like places like that are only in far away distant galaxies where other beings full of love/light/harmony may exist...as on this planet, you find mostly negative, bitter, bad people

i dont think a world full of hate is possible, becaues humans never learn their sick ways....they repeat them...if it was true or possible it would be amazing but it is a fairy tale....these days the world is more evil than ever...and people have lost their ways...teh ways of good, morality, righteousness...i would hope for a world with less hatred or wrong, but even that is a far stretch from possible....even those who do not have that in them, for them its difficult to be on this planet becaues of the sheer amount of hatred present...and so many other negative things that are there on this planet...tohse who are kind caring compassionate, are just food or prey for the rest of the zombie like predators present on this planet...they see kindness, take it for weakness, and attack...right now it's a world full of a lot of what seems to be wickedness and the acceptance of it...this bad is almost converting everyone to be like it...somewhere, out there there possibly is a planet, or place that is only about love kindness compassion....it definitely isn't this one....

... food or prey for the rest of the zombie like predators present on this planet...they see kindness, take it for weakness, and attack...right now it's a world full of a lot of what seems to be wickedness and the acceptance of it...this bad is almost converting everyone to be like it...somewhere, out there there possibly is a planet, or place that is only about love kindness compassion....it definitely isn't this one....

Supposing the people of this world all assembled together around a massive pool filled with man-eating sharks and killer crocs, and there is a massive reward of love, compassion and 5 million bucks for whoever is brave enough to dive in and swim from one side of the pool to the other... would you do it? Assuming you got pushed in - would the rewards still be at the top of your list of priorities? Suffice to say you would do your darndest to make it out of the pool intact, and then the burning desire would set in to find out who the hell pushed you in. Just imagine that you would have won the top prize after making it out of the pool... would you then be thankful for being pushed in? Or would you still want to exact revenge? Many of us are metaphorically in this pool, yet we have not been able to get our priorities right.

Often, we think of our enemies as detrimental to our peace of mind and happiness... but if we reflect deeper, it is our perceived 'enemies' that gives meaning to the desire for peace of mind and happiness. Its good to see things in perspective sometimes. Personally, whenever i encounter human conflict, i have the tendency to give in, and let the other side take victory, and i do this gladly. I am willing to take whatever blame or ill-thoughts as my own doing, and give whatever is right and good to the opposing party. This way, there is nothing in me that they could suck off of, so they tend to leave me alone after the fact. They think they have won, but in truth, both parties are happy out. The main thing is that the conflict is resolved peacefully, which is basically what i know is the best way forward anyway, so there is no hesitation for me to offer myself as the cause of it. I do this because i know myself well enough to understand that by accepting the blame, the situation invariably is still within my control - i can then choose to pacify these things in my own mind without also having the added mess of dealing with the conflict in the opposite party's mind as well. The potentially explosive or bad situation often deflates soon after. At the very least, it does so in my own thinking... i get to let go of every possible cause for further aggravation even before the situation gets a chance to escalate.

Often, we think of our enemies as detrimental to our peace of mind and happiness... but if we reflect deeper, it is our perceived 'enemies' that gives meaning to the desire for peace of mind and happiness.

The main thing is that the conflict is resolved peacefully, which is basically what i know is the best way forward anyway, so there is no hesitation for me to offer myself as the cause of it. I do this because i know myself well enough to understand that by accepting the blame, the situation invariably is still within my control - i can then choose to pacify these things in my own mind without also having the added mess of dealing with the conflict in the opposite party's mind as well. The potentially explosive or bad situation often deflates soon after. At the very least, it does so in my own thinking... i get to let go of every possible cause for further aggravation even before the situation gets a chance to escalate.

Well said CowTao. I agree with your thinking. I do think that our actions should contribute something

positive to whatever the situation may be. In my original question I was being entirely idealistic, an

Ideal to strive towards to me is never a negative thing. There will always be conflict in human society,

that is unavoidable since we are animalistic in the thoughtlessness of our actions.

I believe it was the Dali Lama who said, (concerning china) "Our enemies are our greatest teachers."

And you have illustrated this point just beautifully.

When there is a conflict....this is a opportunity to work on ourselves, make ourselves more understanding

and patient. To learn that winning only serves the useless vanity of the non-existent "me".

I so agree with you.. I just wish..that's how it was...not judging others..perceiving everyone as one...whereas those of us who do this, get nowhere with this perception, the world thinks differently. They hate, judge, discriminate, insult, criticize...for what reason? It's about seeing whta's in people's souls and accepting everyone, respecting everyone....but on this planet, is mostly disrespect...judgment, harshness, wrongdoing...hatred...so much hatred that stems from so many things...what bothers me is how people can't even control the hatred they have inside of them..and lash out at others, or hurt others...because of it.

it seems like places like that are only in far away distant galaxies where other beings full of love/light/harmony may exist...as on this planet, you find mostly negative, bitter, bad people

i dont think a world full of hate is possible, becaues humans never learn their sick ways....they repeat them...if it was true or possible it would be amazing but it is a fairy tale....these days the world is more evil than ever...and people have lost their ways...teh ways of good, morality, righteousness...i would hope for a world with less hatred or wrong, but even that is a far stretch from possible....even those who do not have that in them, for them its difficult to be on this planet becaues of the sheer amount of hatred present...and so many other negative things that are there on this planet...tohse who are kind caring compassionate, are just food or prey for the rest of the zombie like predators present on this planet...they see kindness, take it for weakness, and attack...right now it's a world full of a lot of what seems to be wickedness and the acceptance of it...this bad is almost converting everyone to be like it...somewhere, out there there possibly is a planet, or place that is only about love kindness compassion....it definitely isn't this one....

Thanks for replying Jenn,

I feel sure that we are not the only sentient beings in this universe or other dimensions.

Maybe one day we will be discovered by truly evolved beings that can help show us that we are all

just children in the wilderness.

Things will get better as long as we all do our small parts to affect the whole.

We have an effect on the world consciousness everyday by the energy we put forward,

by the Love and compassion we give out openly and freely towards others. We are all important,

We all are making a difference, and one day our hatred of others will be shown to be as wasteful

as it really is. Peace!

Am I crazy for wanting this?

If so...crazy feels pretty good.

If you're crazy then so am I!

I could be so threatening and lay down punishments so severe that I could possibly get a permanent peace. Authoritative governments have tried this approach, the 'if we imprison the wrong thinkers' when the dust clears we'll all get along fine

Rules wouldn't be the way to do it, it's too yang. The only way would be to show them would be to change their thinking, but then that's like frog in the well and the Turtle of the Eastern Sea from ChuangTzu. It's a nice idea, but you can't just change someone's mind like that! They have to get there on their own.

I guess until then we'll have to lead by example, and like Strawdog's pm says "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Thanks Ghandi! =]

Saying that, I'll be the first to admit that I can talk the talk, but can't quite walk the walk yet. I'm getting there, slowly, but sometimes I am judgemental and hateful without thinking. Something I have to work on I guess.

It might be quite straightforward to train oneself away, with practices, from the extreme polarity that is hatred.

But then one has sometimes to deal with 'visceral dislike' and that is a more subtle challenge, I find.

If you're crazy then so am I!

Rules wouldn't be the way to do it, it's too yang. The only way would be to show them would be to change their thinking, but then that's like frog in the well and the Turtle of the Eastern Sea from ChuangTzu. It's a nice idea, but you can't just change someone's mind like that! They have to get there on their own.

I guess until then we'll have to lead by example, and like Strawdog's pm says "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Thanks Ghandi! =]

Saying that, I'll be the first to admit that I can talk the talk, but can't quite walk the walk yet. I'm getting there, slowly, but sometimes I am judgemental and hateful without thinking. Something I have to work on I guess.

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for your thoughts! I hope you have a very nice thanksgiving!

Yes, I agree, talking the talk and walking the path, are different.

It sounds to me, that you are ready to cast away a lot of the effects

of the monkeymind that seeks to control us, and our actions.

Just by admitting that we are doing/reacting in a way that shows how judgmental

we are, helps to create the changes you wish to see in yourself.

Think of it as a sort of critical mass type of effect.

It takes some time of being aware of yourself, and knowing

deep inside of yourself, that the reaction you are

experiencing is not true to you or the teachings of the Tao.

To know you are acting in a way that is close minded and judgmental,

but you still have that knee jerk reaction, which to you seems out of

your control, that is to me the real impetus of realized change.

This is the rising of awareness, manifesting within yourself

that is necessary to make the leap, and start changing.

Of course we all have our bad days... and are not always at our best, but those days are

some prime learning experiences, if we choose to see them clearly for what they are.

Samuel...thank you for your earnest reply.

Peace and understanding to you!