hajimesaito

References of Qi/prana in Buddhist texts

Have the Buddhists of the past ever extensively, or even briefly, expounded the concept of "Qi" in their literature? Of course, it goes without saying that I am talking about the Buddhism of India (all three vehicles) before it was mixed with Taoism in China. I would like to know the literature that deals with concepts of Qi in Buddhism.

It all starts in the Abhidhamma of Theravada. Then expanded in the Abhidharma of Mahayana, then it gets the most extensive treatment through Vajrayana starting in North India gaining popularity in around the 200's A.D. 700 years before Vajrayana was moved to Tibet 1,100 years ago.

There are literally 1,000's of texts that survived from India in their original language which moved into Tibet to be translated and commented upon. Tibets entire social structure is based upon these texts as well as the earlier Mahayana and Hinayana texts.

Also about 1,100 years ago many of these esoteric texts also moved to China to become what is known as Essoteric Chinese Buddhism or Chen-yen (the true word) and also made it to Japan and is preserved in what is called Shingon. In China, even though Buddhism already had a school recognizing channels and energy, it just merged with the Chinese language so seems influenced by Taoism, but it's really something that came previously from India.

Tattvasamgraha Sutra, the Vajrasekhara Tantra and the well known Namasamgiti are some popular texts. You really want to look into Highest Yoga Tantra texts or Anuttarayoga Tantra literally means 'Unexcelled Union Continuity'. You've got the Hevajra Tantra as well as The Guhyasamāja tantra ("Tantra of the Secret Assembly") dealing with sexual practice and symbolism. You could also look up Mahayoga or Mahamudra and find some things.

There are tons of English translations done by Western scholars as well as Lamas who came to the west of all sorts of Tantric texts originally from India and also plenty from Tibet.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

I double recommend the Yantra Yoga book as it's supposed to be the clearest book to date on the subject of channels and winds. But, that's just my subjective opinion based upon other peoples subjective opinions.

• Like 1

If I'm correct, Qi is also referred to as "Prajna" or "wisdom".

Some modern scientists have called it Orgon, those that have no

buddhist or Daoist understanding.

Every culture has encountered it, and each culture

has there own term for it.

I wouldn't recommend the Yantra Yoga book, unless you are viewing it for free, or you plan on practicing the methods.

The book I like is Healing with Form Energy and Light.

Just my personal opinion.

Well, it does go into clear and concise descriptions of channels and winds. But yeah, it's mostly about the Yantra Yoga postures so you could be right. I guess I'm biased because my Rinpoche wrote it. :blush:

If I'm correct, Qi is also referred to as "Prajna" or "wisdom".

Some modern scientists have called it Orgon, those that have no

buddhist or Daoist understanding.

Every culture has encountered it, and each culture

has there own term for it.

Yup. What they do with it though, can be very different.

Edited by Vajrahridaya