Giano

Documentary film on Taoism and martial arts

Wonderful film - thanks for sharing it - I really enjoyed watching it. Beautiful photography and well informed comments from the scholars.

Made my day.

Thanks again.

What a wonderful presentation!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Positive comments:

The presentation was not corrupted with Buddhist concepts as most that I have watched have been.

The presentation was very true to the Tao Te Ching as I understand it.

The only criticism I have is that I heard the phrase "soft and weak" (but only once). I dislike the word "weak" because it has too many negative connotations. I believe the more appropriate word would be "flexible". In fact, all subsequent discussion of the concept in the presentation did use words like flexible and pliable.

Again, thanks for sharing that.

What a wonderful presentation!!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Positive comments:

The presentation was not corrupted with Buddhist concepts as most that I have watched have been.

The presentation was very true to the Tao Te Ching as I understand it.

The only criticism I have is that I heard the phrase "soft and weak" (but only once). I dislike the word "weak" because it has too many negative connotations. I believe the more appropriate word would be "flexible". In fact, all subsequent discussion of the concept in the presentation did use words like flexible and pliable.

Again, thanks for sharing that.

That's a good point...I agree...flexible is more appropriate...thanks!

Some sects within Taoism had various degrees of influence from Buddhism and Confucianism,

for example the Wu-Liu sect was influenced by Buddhism. Taoism was constantly

evolving over the centuries...

First class!!

Wonderful documentary with quality interviews. Love the imagery. Makes me want to go back to Wudangshan ... never did get to the top of that mountain ;)

Thank you!

:D

Some sects within Taoism had various degrees of influence from Buddhism and Confucianism,

for example the Wu-Liu sect was influenced by Buddhism. Taoism was constantly

evolving over the centuries...

Yes, I know that and I accept it as a fact and can even understand why it is so. I have no problem with anyone who wishes to integrate Taoism with other philosophies and religions. Afterall, whatever helps a person live a successful, virtuous life is good.

The problem I have is when the concepts of other philosophies and religions are added to Taoist Philosophy and then are presented as Taoism. No, it's not Taoism - it is a mixture of Taoism and whatever.

I will even admit that there are a couple concepts in Taoist Philosophy that I do not incorporate into my way (belief system). But I fully acknowledge these variances.

Hi all,

this is a link to a short film I've been working on about Taoist philosophy and martial arts.

Can be watched freely on my website and I would love some feedback from you guys!

Thanks a lot,

Gennaro

http://www.lifeartsmedia.com/opening-dao-taoism-martial-arts-documentary

Nice job! Very beautifully done! I think the documentary (at least what is in that video clip) does have a somewhat Western slant to it though. Many Westerners and Western scholars seem to view Taoism as being

originally a distinct cohesive philosophy or way of life that was distinct from other Chinese views and

religious practices, etc., and which later developed various religious offshoots that are seen as deviating from or as something distinct from the original pure 'Taoist philosophy'. From what I have seen however, Chinese Taoists do not make any clear distinction between the philosphical roots contained within Taoism and its religious/spiritual roots and doctrines and practices. However, I suppose some modern Chinese Taoists may be influenced somewhat by Western thinking and by changes in view within China itself over the last century, and thus some modern Chinese may also now be making more of a distinction or separation between Taoism's philosophical roots and its religious roots. Really though it seems there was no formal distinct 'Taoism' or 'Taoist view' at all until the formation of the formal Tianshi religious sect around 142 CE.

Religious practices and views were no doubt very much a part of Chinese life in Chuang Tzu's and Lao Tzu's time, assuming these were actually real people (some scholars say now that the works attributed to Chuang Tzu and Lao Tzu were likely compilations of various ideas from different sources over a period of time), and what came to be known as Taoism has its roots in both the philosophical and religious views and practices of ancient China. Also, what we know as Taoism was constantly evolving and changing over the centuries although there is no doubt the Tao Te Ching was very influential in the development of Taoism over the centuries, and still is a very respected text in modern Taoism. There were various other influences in Taoism as well though throughout its development. I guess what I am saying is I think it might have been helpful towards a fuller view of Taoism to see more commentary from practicing Chinese Taoists on how they view the relationship between the religious side of Taoism and the philosophical side of Taoism and the influence of these two aspects of Taoism on the overall development of Taoist views and practices, as both had strong influences on the development of Taoism and its views and practices overall, I believe. Because we have a tradition of fairly clear separation between the development of philosophy and religion in the West, I think we naturally tend to want to apply that same separation to Taoism as well, but I am not so sure that traditional Taoists view things quite that way. Either way though the section of the documentary on your website is, IMO, a good overview of the influence of the Tao Te Ching on Taoist thought and practices such as the Taoist martial arts!

Edited by The Way Is Virtue

The problem I have is when the concepts of other philosophies and religions are added to Taoist Philosophy and then are presented as Taoism. No, it's not Taoism - it is a mixture of Taoism and whatever.

I hear you Marblehead. The thing is though that Taoism was constantly evolving over its history and was influenced by various things over its history as well. What we think of as Taoism as a whole comprises various differing roots, traditions, practices, views, and influences, but all are part of what is referred to today as Taoism as a whole. Maybe the problem is that it is somewhat unrealistic to refer to Taoism as some distinct cohesive system that existed with a clear origin and clear course of development over its history. Defining Taoism is somewhat like trying to herd cats. Try as we might, we just can't seem to get the cats to act as anything near a single cohesive unit. :D

Edited by The Way Is Virtue

I hear you Marblehead. The thing is though that Taoism was constantly evolving over its history and was influenced by various things over its history as well. What we think of as Taoism as a whole comprises various differing roots, traditions, practices, views, and influences, but all are part of what is referred to today as Taoism as a whole. Maybe the problem is that it is somewhat unrealistic to refer to Taoism as some distinct cohesive system that existed with a clear origin and clear course of development over its history. Defining Taoism is somewhat like trying to herd cats. Try as we might, we just can't seem to get the cats to act as anything near a single cohesive unit. :D

Yeah. Stig and I had this discussion shortly after I joined this forum. I agree with what he and you have said. And it is true, of course.

It is just that I feel that the philosophy presented by Lao Tzu and expounded on by Chuang Tzu is a very efficient and excellent philosophy for one to follow in their life - it definately is for my life. Sure, we sometimes must make adjustments to the concepts because reality has changed significantly over the past 2500 years. But in the most part everything they said about nature in general, and the nature of man is just as valid today as it was 2500 years ago. Nothing needs be added to nor taken from those two sages.

And so, even though I do agree with what you said above about the presentation (docmentary) film being oriented toward Western thought it needs be understood that it is the Western mind that the presentation is directed toward.

bump.

Very impressive, beautiful cinematography.

Note at first it wouldn't show on my mac using Firefox until I hit {clearstream} and got to a different link site.