Sign in to follow this  
jenn992

how effective are mantras, and are they religious?

Ive never studied much about taoism or mantras...are there mantras in taoism, just like buddhism? is there any similarity to the two belief systems with regard to mantras--and are mantras religious or spiritual? I know that in islamic belief (im technically a muslim).. they do what is called 'dhikr' and this is...chanting different names or verses.. but it seems more religion based than just purely spiritual. Are mantras more spiritual based...and where are the forces of the words coming from- the actual deities of the religions or just universal type forces? or are they words that are intended to resonate with neurochemicals in the brain in some form? I know that, when I hear or chant various mantras--you can feel their effectiveness immediately..and it seems amazing...im just wondering where this feeling is coming from...is it coming from within or an external force or energy? it seems that u dont have to be a taoist to be able to chant these mantras or for them to be effective..or maybe you do? thanks...

Edited by jenn992

Ive never studied much about taoism or mantras...are there mantras in taoism, just like buddhism? is there any similarity to the two belief systems with regard to mantras--and are mantras religious or spiritual? I know that in islamic belief (im technically a muslim).. they do what is called 'dhikr' and this is...chanting different names or verses.. but it seems more religion based than just purely spiritual. Are mantras more spiritual based...and where are the forces of the words coming from- the actual deities of the religions or just universal type forces? or are they words that are intended to resonate with neurochemicals in the brain in some form? I know that, when I hear or chant various mantras--you can feel their effectiveness immediately..and it seems amazing...im just wondering where this feeling is coming from...is it coming from within or an external force or energy? it seems that u dont have to be a taoist to be able to chant these mantras or for them to be effective..or maybe you do? thanks...

I just wrote reply ,but wiped it off by mistake :(

Might write few words later again..

"It depends"

From what I've understood about them (not a huge amount, so take this as an innocent newbie reponse) mantras come in all kinds of forms with both specifics and generalities.

Generally speaking, from my small experience with them:

- they are used to replace the "usual" internal dialogue

- they are used to focus attention on

- they are used to entrain consciousness

The "specifics" of them are more obscure for me. But from what I've gathered to date, you "get one" that is very adapted to you and your situation/path/whatever. What makes a specific mantra "adapted" is not in my present capacity to explain very well but I have a kind of a felt sense of what it might be. The "taoist" healing sounds IMO "work" in much the same way. But so could going to hang out in a beautiful garden :) (for me :-))

It's another reason to watch what kind of music I listen to, especially choruses. :lol:

its whatever you make it,

im currently doing dhikr, i never used to, and i never felt anything like i feel now when i do dhikr.

i try and say phrases throughout my day and i feel its effects more if i am in a meditative state.

the explanation i heard that i liked is that a higher source is the power and that power works through you to do waht you need. its an explanation ive heard of for reiki and for sacred symbols, i find just keeping that in mind improves your reiki flow.

arabic is naturally filled with sacred sounds just like sanskrit, latin, or hebrew.

the sounds resonate at a frequency that changes consciousness.

try watching youtube videos of cymatics.

it really doesnt matter what you say, intent is everything.

Edited by makkadoodles

Quite a lot of questions there :)

Are there mantras in taoism, just like buddhism?

Yes in Taoism we have what's called Fu Jyeo -- Secret Talismanic Characters, Words and also Invocations.

Is there any similarity to the two belief systems with regard to mantras?

Sorry I can't say because I am not well versed enough in Buddhist mantras.

Are mantras religious or spiritual?

Both.

Are mantras more spiritual based?

Define "more spiritual based".

Where are the forces of the words coming from- the actual deities of the religions or just universal type forces?

Intent -- Your intent, the intent of the "author" of the chant, and yes, also the intent that has gathered around the particular tradition. It is said that "ascended masters" of a tradition may be attracted to those engaging in the same practices they did before "moving on". Certain invocations also attune to universal forces.

Are they words that are intended to resonate with neurochemicals in the brain in some form?

I am quite sure the ancients weren't thinking about "neurochemicals in the brain" ;) To my understanding it is about the Law of Universal Energy Response -- the vibration you hold within yourself "attracts" a mirrored response from the Universe.

I know that, when I hear or chant various mantras--you can feel their effectiveness immediately..and it seems amazing...im just wondering where this feeling is coming from...is it coming from within or an external force or energy?

If I said it was just coming from within I would be wrong. If I said it was just coming from external forces I would be wrong. Find out for yourself :)

it seems that u dont have to be a taoist to be able to chant these mantras or for them to be effective..or maybe you do?

The more you resonate with the tradition of the chant the more effective it will be.

Hope this helps :D

The more you resonate with the tradition of the chant the more effective it will be.

I've found this to be true. I couldn't connect with yogic chants, but the sounds and meaning of some kabalistic chants work for me. Beyond words is the understanding of sacred sounds.. where sounds echo internally or seem to have locations in the body. Like AAAahhhh, is pretty universally found to be in the heart chakra area, OOOhh and Uuu are in the lower.. belly chakra etc.

I like the book/cd Ecstatic Kabalah because it has chants but also gives a system for sacred sounds that I've found echoed in Shinto Kotodama and sources of Egyptian practices. Of course in this case you'd be getting stuff from a Jewish tradition, which may or may not connect. Luckily every tradition has there noise :)

Michael

Mantras are at the core of most spiritual & religious traditions and are often kept secret. You are requesting assistance from an external source be it a God Or Spirits by using a prayer/mantra. Throughout the ages mystics and holy men have all used mantras to accomplish seemingly impossible feats.

I list some of the most common below that can be used by anybody.

Na Mo Bud Dha Yah (Thai Buddha)

Ohm Ah Hung Benzar Guru Paddme Siddhi Hung (Tibet)

Ahn Hong Chah Li Sah Bo Nai (China Dao)

La Hawla Wala Quwatta Illah Billah Hil Aliyil Ahdzim (Islam Arabic)

Cheers.

I know a few mantras:

Om muni muni maha muni sakyamuni bodhi sowaka - a joyous hymn of praise to the Sakyamuni Buddha.

Gya te Gya te Hara Gya te Hara Som Gya Te Bodhi Sowaka - From the Heart Sutra. - Solemn and deep, the essence of the teaching of the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

Om O Lo Lok Sri Svaha Sulu Om - I don't know what it means, but I feel its power to center and heal.

Om Mani Padme Hum - Invokes the compassion of Kwanzeon (Kwan Yin, Avalokiteswara.)

I know that these and other mantras center me and open my heart. I think that mantras, like sutra chanting, have the power to affect me by centering me and opening my heart. Chanting the Kanzeon Sutra makes me weep with gratitude for the reality of boundless compassion. I feel that mantras are a part of the tool kit for spiritual progress given to us by the generations of Buddhist teachers who have striven to benefit us. I bow nine times nine in gratitude for the kindness of our teachers.

_/\_

Mantras can be effective or not effective at all depending on your mindset, attitude, beliefs and intent. Mantras are a tool to focus the mind. Mantras are also a tool to transform the mindset.

Religions like to co-opt everything, but really all spiritual tools that actually work are inherently non-religious. Religions are more about organizing society into a social movement with hierarchies, fear and obedience, and all that kind of crap. Spiritual tools are not of primary concern when it comes to religions. If it helps to get people into the fold, so to speak, religions will strut out some spiritual tools. If not, they won't. Religions have a goal to dominate humanity. They really don't care about what actually works and what doesn't. So religions have a very cynical relationship with spirituality -- they use it if it suits their purpose.

I strongly recommend against Islam in particular. It's one hell of a nasty religion. I can't really be honest if I don't say that.

That said, good luck to you on your spiritual development. As they say, perfect people don't need the help. It's the imperfect ones that need help. I suggest you try things out for yourself and don't take anyone's word for anything, be it anyone on this forum, or your imam. Try things for yourself and do your own analysis afterward. Learn and grow. Don't stay static and dogmatic. Life is change. Be alive.

Edited by goldisheavy

Sign in to follow this