surfingbudda

Dayan (Wild Goose Qigong)

Hi

Does anyone here know anything about this taoist practice of Wild Goose Qigong? Right now i am deciding between this and bruce frantzis's water lineage qigong. Dayan Qigong seems very interesting though and just wondering if anyone has any experience with it on this forum.

Hi

Does anyone here know anything about this taoist practice of Wild Goose Qigong? Right now i am deciding between this and bruce frantzis's water lineage qigong. Dayan Qigong seems very interesting though and just wondering if anyone has any experience with it on this forum.

I haven't practiced it but I did some research on it in the past when I was checking out differeent styles of qigong. The full Wild Goose Qigong system has quite a lot to it and was made public by Yang Meijun. I think she is supposed to have passed on the complete system to a few students but many teachers only teach a portion of the system. This teacher says he learned the complete system but I don't know if Yang Meijun officially announced anyone as being an official inheritor of the complete system (she might have):

Dr. Bingkun Hu:

http://www.drhuqigong.com/about.htm

[Edit:] Ok, this website says her son, Chen Chuan Gang is the official 28th lineage holder of the system:

http://www.dayanarts.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=3

Yang Meijun claimed the system was an old Taoist system that originated from the Kunlun mountains region in China. Yang Meijun was still actively teaching this system well into her nineties, I believe, and it is said she lived to be over 100 (some put her age at 106 when she died), so she seems to have demonstrated that her system was effective for preserving health and promoting longevity. :)

Edited by The Way Is Virtue

I played around with the first level form. I think it's a healthy thing to do. Better than BF, in my opinion.

Scotty

I don't know either system, but your recommendation seems less than informed. Agree either way would probably be "healthy". Perhaps you can provide further info as to why you think BKFrancis teaching is less than... Just Curious as to your opinion and upon what you base it.

To Surfing Buddha. Just DO It.

Also I suppose you intend to study one or the other system on DVD and/or books?

If you have access to a live instructor of either system I suggest you try that route.

Good luck.

Perhaps you can provide further info as to why you think BKFrancis teaching is less than... Just Curious as to your opinion and upon what you base it.

Owning "Opening the Energy Gates of the Body". I'm not a fan of it at all. I think Wild Goose would give better results for health.

For one thing, in WG you're moving and bending the body in all sorts of different ways. Whereas from what I know of BF's "qigong", you're just shifting weight side to side. WG also incorporates key Taoist methods for healing, whereas BF's stuff doesn't, as far as I know.

I could say more, because I'm opinionated on BF...but no one cares to hear that stuff.

Hi Craig

Ya theres a local class for the dayan qigong, which i would go to once a week. Her teacher is Dr. Bingkun Hu My link and he comes at least once a year to do a workshop at the class. I am excited to start and think i will at least try to get through the first two levele and see where i am from there. I do feel drawn to the teachings of BKF and perhaps later in my life i will get the opportunity to learn his practice too.

Scotty said

I played around with the first level form. I think it's a healthy thing to do. Better than BF, in my opinion.

I too would be interested in why you prefer Dayan to BF, it very well may be a better system, but i am just curious as to your reasoning

Owning "Opening the Energy Gates of the Body". I'm not a fan of it at all. I think Wild Goose would give better results for health.

For one thing, in WG you're moving and bending the body in all sorts of different ways. Whereas from what I know of BF's "qigong", you're just shifting weight side to side. WG also incorporates key Taoist methods for healing, whereas BF's stuff doesn't, as far as I know.

I could say more, because I'm opinionated on BF...but no one cares to hear that stuff.

All I'm saying is that in absence of really providing quality details on why you hold this or that opinion on a particular teacher and/or system then your opinion will not hold much weight.

you are of course free to not stir up further controversy as your tact might dictate.

My opinion now based upon what you have written is that you are basing your opinion on one BASIC book BKF has written. Comparing that to some very limited experience of wild goose qigong it seems to me still that you have very little basis to make anything but the most peripheral of judgements about either system.

cheers.

Craig

Edited by VCraigP

You're right...we need people who have practiced every wild goose form there is, in addition to having mastered BF's entire "system" of qigong. Only they have an informed opinion. :rolleyes:

Those who have practiced the introductory methods of both "systems" shouldn't speak, because BF is saving the good stuff for the advanced levels! :rolleyes:

Also we should read BF's advanced qigong books to actually be informed (which don't exist). :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Bruce Frantzis Water methods are all about Taoist methods of healing, that is the focus of that whole area of his work. Personally I think his methods are very good and he talks about healing in areas I haven't heard anyone else mention very much, such as healing on the non verbal level. It's not just shifting your weight from one side to the other, it may not be as externally active as some forms but internally it's all about using the mind to break up blocks in your system so it is very active internally.

I haven't tried Wild Goose Qigong but the Water Method released a lot of emotional blocks many other forms of Qigong didn't touch.

You're right...we need people who have practiced every wild goose form there is, in addition to having mastered BF's entire "system" of qigong. Only they have an informed opinion. :rolleyes:

Those who have practiced the introductory methods of both "systems" shouldn't speak, because BF is saving the good stuff for the advanced levels! :rolleyes:

Also we should read BF's advanced qigong books to actually be informed (which don't exist). :rolleyes:

Scotty

I think your initial response to the OP was an attempt to be helpful.

I was attempting to point out to you that your response was superficial and seemed to be based on very little EXPERIENCE. Further you pointed out that you were Biased against BKF.

Rolling your eyes doesn't change any of that, nor does employing the argument implying that I said that you shouldn't speak because you are not an expert in each system.

I stand by my comment that your response while attempting to be helpful pointed the OP towards Wild Goose with very little basis over the other choice, and I was hoping you would add more depth to your comments.

Craig

Craig,

You said:

I don't know either system, but your recommendation seems less than informed.

Perhaps if you tried the first level of WG, and compared it to the exercises in BF's book, you would see for yourself. With your background in other Taoist arts, you could notice the qualities of each method and make an informed opinion simply by trying the introductory methods.

Then you could share that opinion when people are asking for help in starting out...

Then I could come here and say your opinion lacks experience, completely ignoring your background. I could say that, having even less experience than you in the methods being discussed, just because I'm a friendly guy!

To put it in simpler terms: go do something useful with your attitude. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I have a video tape version that I got from YMAA. It is the first 64 movements, and I have done it somewhat. I have not made it part of my regular practice but did enjoy doing it. As far as how it compares to Bruce Franzis I have no idea lol.

Hi

I don't know about Frantzis' qigong at all but I have done Dayan Qigong for 10 years. Personally, I think dayan qigong has been wonderful for my health. I practiced the 1st set of 64 movements for a few years before I learned and practiced the 2nd set. Both of them are great and I recommend them highly. The 2nd set is harder on your knees but you will experience powerful qi flowing throughout your body. What I especially like about them is how every movement is directing your qi to important acupuncture points.

I would certainly recommend finding a teacher if you intend to learn Wild Goose Qigong. I have Dr. Bingkun Hu's DVDs and the first 2 encompass 128 moves to memorise. You also require quite a large space to practise this form. The supplementary DVDs are shorter but still good. I believe there are many levels beyond the DVD series. I have practised the first 128 move form for two years and while I don't experience the accumulation of energy of other forms it is very invigorating, including the stretching and stimulatiuon of merdians and jumping/shaking. The DVDs are also available to download as well as hard copy.

I would certainly recommend finding a teacher if you intend to learn Wild Goose Qigong. I have Dr. Bingkun Hu's DVDs and the first 2 encompass 128 moves to memorise. You also require quite a large space to practise this form. The supplementary DVDs are shorter but still good. I believe there are many levels beyond the DVD series. I have practised the first 128 move form for two years and while I don't experience the accumulation of energy of other forms it is very invigorating, including the stretching and stimulatiuon of merdians and jumping/shaking. The DVDs are also available to download as well as hard copy.

I have Bingkun Hu's video and i have to say that his movements are not like Grand Master Yangs. Even in his video he states that he made the movements in the film more to how he was shown them, suggesting he has modified them, but it is clear that he has gone way off the path. It seems a shame as he appears to have the right attitudes but people are judged more on what they do than what they say. I'm sorry to say this as he is your reference to the style. GM Yang wanted the movements unchanged and to her model. I hope you can find a second opinion from a teacher who has a better liniage.