Friend

What happens when we need to survive?

I like to think that I will do what needs be done, nothing more, nothing less. I say I like to think this because I really don't know and probably will never know until I face the conditions directly.

I think that most of us will do whatever is in our power to insure our survival and the survival of those we care about. Beyond that I guess all options are on the table.

From small crappy monkey earth experience in the face of actual life/death I've found things take over by themselves. No need to think. Just does.

Our next impending doom (scheduled at 2012 our western calendar) is too intellectual (IMO) to elicit such a response - although that could account for all the anxiety. Sort of like a slow dive - relatively-speaking.

I reckon the main thing(s) to do (if we have leeway) could be:

- Don't give up

- Don't do the things that precipate demise on any level

Otherwise known as:

- Do no harm

Not quite as easy as it sounds, huh?

We all live by sets of principles and those principles can change at any second.

In survival situations you simply do what you do.

No judgement attached.

We all live by sets of principles and those principles can change at any second.

In survival situations you simply do what you do.

No judgement attached.

So you drop all your principles when under pressure? Remind me not to survive a plane crash with you ... I would be lunch.

Hi Apech, in my opinion there's a bit of a difference between being under pressure and facing death. You'd be surprised what people are capable of doing, even well principled people.......oh and by the way, how much do you weigh? :D

Hi Apech, in my opinion there's a bit of a difference between being under pressure and facing death. You'd be surprised what people are capable of doing, even well principled people.......oh and by the way, how much do you weigh? :D

Hahah.

How I see it is when this "pressure" comes, it's a matter of whether or not the principles you go by have really effected you.

So if you are taught or are the way you need to be to help in a situation you will be. If you have to move through paralyzing emotion and do then you're make progress.

Fear is a survival mechanism and an autonomic response which is difficult to control. Overcome fear and maybe your principles will hold strong? but for the average person who doesn't have the luxury of principles, surviving life threatening/survival situations can teach us a lot about ourselves, It is a true test. When the occasion has arisen, my principles have been found to be lacking. Everything i believed in, and invested in, those very principles that one holds dear to and identifies oneself by, can vanish in an instant. That is not to say that someday in the future i may rise above my fear/ instincts to survive and my principles may just win the day, i'll just have to take each situation as it comes.:)

I'd make more than a light snack!

Fear is a survival mechanism and an autonomic response which is difficult to control. Overcome fear and maybe your principles will hold strong? but for the average person who doesn't have the luxury of principles, surviving life threatening/survival situations can teach us a lot about ourselves, It is a true test. When the occasion has arisen, my principles have been found to be lacking. Everything i believed in, and invested in, those very principles that one holds dear to and identifies oneself by, can vanish in an instant. That is not to say that someday in the future i may rise above my fear/ instincts to survive and my principles may just win the day, i'll just have to take each situation as it comes.:)

On a serious note - you are quite right that we are tested by extreme situations and which of us really know how they might react. But I think that systems of cultivation or whatever teach you to define and elevate your values to a high level. This is not really about becoming idealistic and high minded in an abstracted way - but is more about refining your being. You have to actively test what you value - but in a warrior way - so if you fail you just pick yourself up and carry on without making excuses or dropping your standards ... if you see what I mean.

Sometimes it seems like your practice and life itself connive in providing situation to test you.

Sometimes it seems like your practice and life itself connive in providing situation to test you.
- totally, these tests and life's obstacles in general help to teach us to truly know ourselves.

my 2 bits

2 planes go down; one latches onto survival at any cost, every man for himself. In the second people work together, think creatively and come up with solutions that include everyone. It might not work, but you go down as human beings not animals.

Back to the original question. What to do when the going gets tough, find friends and work real hard. Because we are stronger then an individual and IMO ethical civilized behavior has a stronger survival mechanism then anarchy.

So you drop all your principles when under pressure? Remind me not to survive a plane crash with you ... I would be lunch.

Principles are overrated. The game of life has rules and they are constantly changing and there's always and exception to the rule. So having principles will leave one in the dust as society around him changes. Don't have principles but have boundaries.

Principles are overrated. The game of life has rules and they are constantly changing and there's always and exception to the rule. So having principles will leave one in the dust as society around him changes. Don't have principles but have boundaries.

Boundaries come from and are delineated by principles.

Principles give an anchor whereas those who have none can be blown around like dust in the wind. IMO trust those who hold to good principles, beware those who hold to bad and be wary of those who have none.

I'll allow that there could be rare occasions where a principle must be broken, but there the fault is in rare and terrible situation. The lesson shouldn't be to drop principles.

Michael

Hi there,

I was surfing in the Internet and then

http://www.howtosurvive2012.com/

I think it is not relevant if it is true or not... but it is a date in 2 years, exciting it is the thought.

An interesting and disturbing thought to only live 1,5 year maybe and may either lost the life, other lifes and all belongs except the thing one has.

The feeling is like a death sentence but with the least chance, which is more disturbing then the sure death, and we know of the evilness in others heart when it comes to be the winners.One of the reason why we seek enlightment, Martial Arts, Qigong and else.

We in the civillisation are rarely in extrem situation for longer time. But what is when the time really comes as describe above.

How much of the love and humanity will be put aside to survive, how many and much have you to abandon, how many can you rescue and how many sins you will make and how many humilitation you will have to endure if you can survive, lots of Betrayal. From all knowledge in the school we can not suvive when it comes to a catstrophe, not knowing what is important and what not. Martial Arts, Qigong and Energy Healing will be proved to the depth if one really has established. It is not a time for illusion when it becomes dead serious.

In our daily life we have rarely extreme situation.

We fear about our loss of our job, the lonliness in society, the payments the laws

our status, the belongins and the failure in front of those we want something.

We feel safe about the other things that there is the police that may come to help,

the military which defend us from outer forces and in catastrophes.

Think about what will happen when the World Bank says that from today money is worthless?

Think what will happen when there is a world riot?

Now think what is important and not important in your life?

Some serious thoughts,

Q

Try praying to Earth.

Hi there,

That would be like the movie "Red Dawn" remember that old movie... It will be the only time I will be glad to live in the middle of nowhere in West Texas.

And I will be glad I was raised shooting guns, and know how to set up a camp site, go fishing. catch grass hoppers for bait...

And if it gets any worse than that. Well we might as well just start praying that all suffering wont last long...

But lets just hope these things don't happen...

Take care Melanie

Hi there,

That would be like the movie "Red Dawn" remember that old movie... It will be the only time I will be glad to live in the middle of nowhere in West Texas.

And I will be glad I was raised shooting guns, and know how to set up a camp site, go fishing. catch grass hoppers for bait...

And if it gets any worse than that. Well we might as well just start praying that all suffering wont last long...

But lets just hope these things don't happen...

Take care Melanie

there's a new Red Dawn coming out.

Just thought I'd drop that in there lol.

"One of the reason why we seek enlightment, Martial Arts, Qigong and else."

If that stuff is going to happen, then I might suggest learning some more, um, "practical" things?

Not that qi-gong ain't practical, I guess if you become a healer then you're (relatively) safe.

there's a new Red Dawn coming out.

Just thought I'd drop that in there lol.

Really I didn't know that, But they are never as good as the first... It is kinda sad that way.

It's like you just can't make another "Road House" another good one... God bless Patrick Swayze's soul sounded like a good man...