Niklas

g-tummo

Hello,

I have heard of g-tummo, and that it's a sort of meditation practice in Tibet to increase body temperature.

Anyone know of a good book that could help me learn this?

Hello,

I have heard of g-tummo, and that it's a sort of meditation practice in Tibet to increase body temperature.

Book? No.

May want to visit Tibetan Buddhist temples, or research places to travel to. I think given the modern times they're open to teaching it a bit more, but either way might be hard to find practicioners who practice it.

Also don't be to surprised if they don't, I mean people have died sitting in the snow just waiting to learn it.

As long as you have good intentions im sure you'll eventually cross by it, or it by you.

If you want to read about it I suggest "The Bliss of Inner Fire" by Lama Yeshe. But if you want to practice it I suggest you find an authentic Tibetan Buddhist teacher, mainly for two reasons. The first is that you will also receive teachings that will put it in the proper context (which will dismiss incorrect ideas such as increasing body temperature) and second is that you can really mess yourself up if you don't practice correctly.

Ah ok... Then why do they write these books if they know that it's dangerous if someone practices it incorrectly?

For example Spring Forest Qigong, they make dvds about qigong, but what if a practitioner doesn't practice correctly? Is what they teach real or just for money making by the way? Because I know that on Mantak Chia's DVDs there are just wrong practices (what I have read about). Even by finding a teacher in Tibet or something you won't be sure if he'll make you practice correctly...

Ah ok... Then why do they write these books if they know that it's dangerous if someone practices it incorrectly?

Good question. I suppose to spread some information in order to create interest and to be useful to those who have received the correct instructions.

For example Spring Forest Qigong, they make dvds about qigong, but what if a practitioner doesn't practice correctly? Is what they teach real or just for money making by the way?

SFQ is real, only positive reviews as far as I can remember, I practiced it myself for a while. I don't think there's much if anything there that you could do wrong if you follow the instructions on the video and in the manual.

Even by finding a teacher in Tibet or something you won't be sure if he'll make you practice correctly...

Why not?

Yes I have some information on tummo practice, I will post what I know in this thread later I don't have a lot of time at the moment. If I haven't posted by tomorrow evening send me a PM to remind me :P

Ok I have to put in my two cents in this. If it is written in a book that is redily avaliable to the public then it is safe. If you wana practice tummo pick up the bliss of inner fire. I meen they are not going to put out a book on say rainbow body to my knoelwdge cause it is dangerous.

Ok I have to put in my two cents in this. If it is written in a book that is redily avaliable to the public then it is safe. If you wana practice tummo pick up the bliss of inner fire. I meen they are not going to put out a book on say rainbow body to my knoelwdge cause it is dangerous.

ROFL, are you for real?

'How to Meditate' by Kathleen McDonald has a very good break down of the meditation and she has a great rep within the Tibetan Buddhist schools.

That and as has already been said, Lama Yeshe's book.

I learnt Initially from a lay practitioner who did the Nyingma 2 year retreat on gTummo. Its pretty similar to In her book...

Have fun!

Seth.

• Like 1

They teach Tummo in KAP 101.

Course there's a lot more to it then technique, there's building up energy and practice, practice, practice.

Michael

Yes i am for real i dont see why they would put something in a book that anyone could pick up and do if it were dangerous. I will have to pick up heart drops of dharmakaya cause i am very much interested in the rainbow body.

Yes i am for real i dont see why they would put something in a book that anyone could pick up and do if it were dangerous. I will have to pick up heart drops of dharmakaya cause i am very much interested in the rainbow body.

From books you can learn how to practice to maim or kill someone, or a less extreme example, how to do various chemistry experiments, some with concentrated acids etc., according to you that isn't dangerous? :lol:

To think that just because something is in a book it isn't dangerous is at the least a pretty naive view.

yeah i kind of see your point Mabye i am misinterpreting you but i am tired of people saying you cant learn from books. I meen books are there for the less fortunate people so they can learn from without having to move somewhere like tibet. I think we all can learn from books and that saying that we cant is a narowminded view.

yeah i kind of see your point Mabye i am misinterpreting you but i am tired of people saying you cant learn from books. I meen books are there for the less fortunate people so they can learn from without having to move somewhere like tibet. I think we all can learn from books and that saying that we cant is a narowminded view.

I'm not saying you can't learn from books. I'm just saying you can't learn everything from books. For example in this case I think you can learn the visualizations from a book without much problem, but the correct breathing? That's a different story. Also you can't get the transmission from a book. Or advice. And sometimes things are left out from books, which might be mentioned or it might not be.

And, if you believe so much in learning from books, these books often if not always say that you have to receive the transmission and instructions from an authentic teacher, why can't you learn that too?

These days you don't have to go to Tibet to learn things like this, there are authentic teachers going around US, Europe and Asia.

Tummo is simply awareness in the subnavel region, plus mulabhanda and finally kumbhaka (holding your breath).

Its really not complicated.

Consort practice is the above PLUS penis in vagina.

Edited by alwayson

lets agree to disagree cause i can see i wont change your way o0f thinking and you wont change mine. But in my thought process you dont need transmision. But i will give you that books only get you so far you have to look within once you get to a certtain point. I am one of the people that does not believe you need some external person telling you what you need to do i think all you need is already in you you just need to call it out.

Tummo is simply awareness in the subnavel region, plus mulabhanda and finally kumbhaka (holding your breath).

Its really not complicated.

Consort practice is the above PLUS penis in vagina.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Kind of an oversimplification... It's not just awareness, but deeply meditative awareness or samadhi focus. There's also the breath of fire, or Bhastrika pranayama. Also sometimes vase breathing when engaging in karma mudra.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Kind of an oversimplification... It's not just awareness, but deeply meditative awareness or samadhi focus. There's also the breath of fire, or Bhastrika pranayama. Also sometimes vase breathing when engaging in karma mudra.

Vase breath is the same as kumbhaka. I mentioned that. Reread what I wrote.

Edited by alwayson

lets agree to disagree cause i can see i wont change your way o0f thinking and you wont change mine. But in my thought process you dont need transmision. But i will give you that books only get you so far you have to look within once you get to a certtain point. I am one of the people that does not believe you need some external person telling you what you need to do i think all you need is already in you you just need to call it out.

Ah... we've been deluding ourselves for way too long. The most enlightened ever on this planet had masterful guidance. Though, there are very few who came to on their own... very few. We generally just fool ourselves, so many pitfalls and it's hard to get an objective opinion about yourself from yourself. Ya know?

Vase breath is the same as kumbhaka. I mentioned that. Reread what I wrote.

Well there are two kinds... Sahita and Kevala. I thought you meant Kevala for some reason... my bad. Sahita Kumbhaka is indeed vase breathing. Kevala is breath retention either inner or outer and is also very powerful!

I wasn't dissin' you bro... much love alwayson!

Oh really? Then what are you doing going around reading books?

Sure you don't need transmission to engage in the practice of something. Maybe you can have some effects. But then what is the point of such a practice? I don't know but definitely not what the original intention was, more like entertainment I suppose.