surfingbudda

Taoism Vs Buddhism

My uncle's widow OWNS my grandfather's house. And my uncle died decades ago.

So much for all this widow bullshit.

Think whatever you like always on and swear as much as you want , but do not take me wrong and mistake me for having animosity towards you or Indian culture . Just an opinion that may differ .

There is a lot of wrong in inheretance system , corruption and disempowered women in India , why do so many of widows end up on the street ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21859622

from another source I just stumbeled upon ..http://dayatrust.com/india-widows:

'In traditional Hindu custom, when a woman’s husband dies, she becomes a zero and all her powers are lost,” says Mohini Giri, the former chair for the commission of women in India and a widow herself. She explains that many conservative Indian families see widows as a liability.

Widows are shunned from society, not for religious reasons, but because of tradition and because they’re seen as a financial drain on their families. Cast out of the family home, they live the rest of their lives in poverty and isolation.

Generally, for Hindu widows, the higher their caste, the more restrictions they face.

When a man dies, his widow is expected to renounce all earthly pleasures. Many widows in India have been driven out from their homes and have no place else to go. They cannot remarry. They must not wear jewelry. They are forced to shave their heads and typically wear white. Even their shadows are considered bad luck.They live in terrible poverty, often begging or singing at temples for a measly meal. Many of the younger widows are forced into prostitution.

Only 28 percent of the widows in India are eligible for pensions, but less than 11 percent actually receive the payments to which they’re entitled – meaning widows are at the mercy of their families.'..

As to certain India prayers done at home I was told by a scholary Indian Swamini friend of mine that it is still like that , should maybe reserch with quatable sources ...in Buddhism there are still some practises allowed for man only for example or hugley prdominantley .

No it is the brute reality that it is not uncommon to prioritse male child for education over female -- it is a fact . Actualy in some places in India people do not even put girls to school full stop .

Man takes care of the family finacially , women started to work only recently on larger scale .

India is so big and diverse .

Maybe you dont know about many things in the same way as you never heard of Sati . I could tell you stuff that would schock you and make you disbelieve me even more , but this is not forum for this .

I do admit that maybe same is possible on my side , I bet I am ignorant of much stuff about India too .

How long have you lived in India ? Are you India born elswhere ? Or ?

Read the pdf I pasted .

Anyaway I love India and have had some incredible times , so Ill leave it at this for now . Debate over on my side as it seems that you are overheating . Dont want to cause upset further .

Edited by suninmyeyes

See you next time I am off to watch Capoeira videos now .

Take care and peace brother . :)

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

Think whatever you like always on and swear as much as you want , but do not take me wrong and mistake me for having animosity towards you or Indian culture . Just an opinion that may differ .

There is a lot of wrong in inheretance system , corruption and disempowered women in India , why do so many of widows end up on the street ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21859622

I don't know whats going on here honestly. Widows inherit all the time in India. I've seen it. Indian law was modeled on British law.

As to certain India prayers done at home I was told by a scholary Indian Swamini friend of mine that it is still like that , should maybe reserch with quatable sources ...in Buddhism there are still some practises allowed for man only for example or hugley prdominantley .

Women are the ones doing all the Sanskrit mantras, rituals and shit to the point of cliché.

No it is the brute reality that it is not uncommon to prioritse male child for education over female -- it is a fact . Actualy in some places in India people do not even put girls to school full stop .

Then where do all the schoolgirls in uniform come from every day for decades? Have you been to India? seriously?

Man takes care of the family finacially , women started to work only recently on larger scale .

India is so big and diverse .

Maybe you dont know about many things in the same way as you never heard of Sati . I could tell you stuff that would schock you and make you disbelieve me even more , but this is not forum for this .

I heard of sati. But you say its still occurring today. I don't know about that part. .

Just an observation - India has 1.2 billion people (not counting the Indian diaspora). That's approximately 17% of the world's population.

It is probably difficult to generalize about such a large and diverse group, especially when one takes into consideration ethnic, linguistic and regional differences, urban vs rural populations, etc.

As one writer put it, "India is beyond statement, for anything you say, the opposite is also true...."

• Like 2

Just an observation - India has 1.2 billion people (not counting the Indian diaspora). That's approximately 17% of the world's population.

It is probably difficult to generalize about such a large and diverse group, especially when one takes into consideration ethnic, linguistic and regional differences, urban vs rural populations, etc.

As one writer put it, "India is beyond statement, for anything you say, the opposite is also true...."

very wise ;-)

• November 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
By the Numbers: Where Indian Women Work

An estimated 68.5% of women work in farming

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2012/11/14/by-the-numbers-where-indian-women-work/

Women who have progressed beyond high school make up only about 6.5% of Indian women of working age (in India this is considered to be between the ages of 15 and 59).

As with men, the majority of the female workforce in India is unskilled and has only a basic education. They are working – just not in companies that require college degrees and English skills. They are often working in very poorly paid jobs with no security or benefits and in many cases below the minimum daily wage.

For example, an illiterate woman working in an occupation that doesn’t require skills averages earnings of 85 rupees ($1.50) a day; an illiterate man doing such a job averages 177 rupees ($3.20) a day.

Gee those women should just cash in their gold and quit their jobs!

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

You quote:

"An estimated 68.5% of women work in farming"

And what about men? Is it the exact same amount? :rolleyes:

Indeed your own article says:

"As with men......."

Edited by alwayson

We could argue that hinduism is fundamentally the same as western religion. All religions are fundamentally the same, buddhism is the exception although saturated with hinduism in some cases.

This is why there is sameness, are there two worlds one higher and one lower and something else other than human is responsible or is there just one world and we are responsible?

If we are not responsible then it releases us from being divine beings and taking care of each other. When there is something else responsible we will fight each other to the death to make you believe what the something is. The problem is something is not a what

The philosophical and religious blunder of one sex being higher and one lower comes from the two world split / divided mind in which taoism is the exception.

To be ignorant of woman being servant to man in a very long history of the western civilization which includes India is beyond belief especially for someone that lives in India or is it Indiana?

You quote:

"An estimated 68.5% of women work in farming"

And what about men? Is it the exact same amount? :rolleyes:

Indeed your own article says:

"As with men......."

Your question is answered in the article -- but you don't quote the answer? haha. It's forty some percent of men work in farming.

Only 46.6% of Indian male workers are employed in farming. Still, the number of women in farming seems to be coming down. When the NSSO gathered employment data five years earlier, 73.3% of women workers were in agriculture.

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus

We could argue that hinduism is fundamentally the same as western religion. All religions are fundamentally the same, buddhism is the exception although saturated with hinduism in some cases.

This is why there is sameness, are there two worlds one higher and one lower and something else other than human is responsible or is there just one world and we are responsible?

If we are not responsible then it releases us from being divine beings and taking care of each other. When there is something else responsible we will fight each other to the death to make you believe what the something is. The problem is something is not a what

The philosophical and religious blunder of one sex being higher and one lower comes from the two world split / divided mind in which taoism is the exception.

To be ignorant of woman being servant to man in a very long history of the western civilization which includes India is beyond belief especially for someone that lives in India or is it Indiana?

I thought the recent events in India (I don't want even to write it since the crimes are so gruesome) should make it obvious that India women ARE treated as inferior. What amazed me is that this is the country where Kali was once worshiped. Somehow, India women deserve no respects.

• Like 1

I thought the recent events in India (I don't want even to write it since the crimes are so gruesome) should make it obvious that India women ARE treated as inferior. What amazed me is that this is the country where Kali was once worshiped. Somehow, India women deserve no respects.

In America, they rape baby girls to death

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/steven-smith-assaulting-baby_n_2997750.html

In America they kidnap women for a decade, lock them in shackles and rape them.

Edited by alwayson

Its 47%.

yeah so the gold rush in India is in Mumbai -- an urban phenomenon -- so ... probably not too many female farmers are getting gold from their husbands:

“I had been keeping a tab on gold prices daily by reading the newspapers,” Sakshi Jain, a 39-year-old housewife, said as she held an intricately designed necklace against her neck in front of a mirror in Zaveri Bazaar. “I had some wedding purchases to make and as soon as prices dropped I came to buy.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-04-16/indias-response-gold-sell-buying-frenzy

In America, they rape baby girls to death

I guess that makes it ok to what happened in India???? Worst, after that deadly assault, another assault took place with 5 men. Then, same incidence happened again with a Swiss tourist. Do you have a clue??? Dude, I am not defending America but women in America at least have more rights similar to the rest of the developed nations. They don't have to worry about the bus driver and his buddies sexually assaulting them.

Edited by ChiForce

I guess that makes it ok to what happened in India???? Worst, after that deadly assault, another assault took place with 5 men. Then, same incidence happened again with a Swiss tourist. Do you have a clue??? Dude, I am not defending America but women in America at least have more rights similar to the rest of the developed nations. They don't have to worry about the bus driver and his buddies sexually assaulting them.

Don't give me fucking attitude. You are one making stupid generalizations

Don't give me fucking attitude. You are one making stupid generalizations

What??? It is all over the news, all over the world. It got so bad that tourism in India went down. Mass protest across the country. Are you really living in India??? Stop watching Bollywood....

Edited by ChiForce

Let's look at it this way, sometimes people do bad things to each other. I was married to one totally psycho chick and then not long after getting away from her I get a total psycho gf. Now just to put this into context so no one thinks I'm being overly dramatic I'm talking this chick would physically assault me, and then threaten to kill herself when I was in the process of leaving cause she was assaulting me, and this happened numerous times. Do I think all women are nuts because I got deeply involved with two crazy ones?.... um .... well .... no lol (had to think for a second) haha.

To be fair I've known a lot of totally crazy dudes, especially when I was in the Army lol. There are some real nut cases out there of both genders, and men are mean to men, women are mean to women. Basically you get any mix you want out there if you look for it.

Of course it does not stop there either. Then you get the whole racist thing, and homophobia, and pretty much people find all sorts of reasons to treat all sorts of other people poorly that are different from them.

So is there misogyny in India? um yea. Is there misogyny in the US? yes. Would there be misogyny on the moon if we had a colony there, yup, and all sorts of other stuff that is intrinsic to human nature no matter where they are.

• Like 1

What??? It is all over the news, all over the world. It got so bad that tourism in India went down. Mass protest across the country. Are you really living in India??? Stop watching Bollywood....

Exactly. There was mass protest. When will Americans protest the constant kidnap-rape (don't forget about past incidents like Elizabeth Smart) and mass shootings (schools, movie theaters etc.)?

Edited by alwayson

Exactly. There was mass protest. When will Americans protest the constant kidnap-rape and mass shootings?

Listen buddy, you are diverging the attention of your birth country to America. I don't care about America in general since I was not born in America. I said it again, America is a developed nation. Women have more rights than in another parts of the world, period. Are you an idiot since you seem to have a lot of book knowledge in Hinduism and Buddhism.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/25-04-2013/124414-india_rape-0/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-21826244

Edited by ChiForce