manitou

The Scamp as Ideal

From p. 12, "The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang (Tao translator)

THE SCAMP AS IDEAL (Written in 1937)

"In short, my faith in human dignity consists in the belief that man is the greatest scamp on earth. Human dignity must be associated with the idea of a scamp and not with that of an obedient, disciplined and regimented soldier. The scamp is probably the most glorious type of human being, as the soldier is the lowest type, according to this conception....."

"In this present age of threats to democracy and individual liberty, probably only the scamp and the spirit of the scamp alone will save us from becoming lost as serially numbered units in the masses of disciplined, obedient, regimented and uniformed coolies. The scamp will be the last and most formidable enemy of dictatorships. He will be the champion of human dignity and individual freedom, and will be the last to be conquered. All modern civilization depends entirely upon him.

"Probably the Creator knew well that, when He created man upon this earth, He was producing a scamp, a brilliant scamp, it is true, but a scamp nonethelesas. The scamp-like qualities of man are, after all, his most hopeful qualities. This scamp that the Creator has produced is undoubtedly a brilliant chap. He is still a very unruly and awkward adolescent, thinking himself greater and wiser than he really is, still full of mischief and naughtiness and love of a free-for-all. Nevertheless, there is so much good in him that the Creator might still be willing to pin on him His hopes, as a father sometimes pins his hopes on a brilliant but somewhat erratic son of twenty. Would He be willing some day to retire and turn over the management of this universe to this erratic son of His? I wonder...."

I think the Dalai Lama is a bit of a scamp, often if he meets someone with a beard he will pull it for a laugh

of-dalai-lama-ramdev-and-bushy-beards-pg.jpg

:D

Edited by Jetsun

From p. 12, "The Importance of Living" by Lin Yutang (Tao translator)

THE SCAMP AS IDEAL (Written in 1937)

"In short, my faith in human dignity consists in the belief that man is the greatest scamp on earth. Human dignity must be associated with the idea of a scamp and not with that of an obedient, disciplined and regimented soldier. The scamp is probably the most glorious type of human being, as the soldier is the lowest type, according to this conception....."

"In this present age of threats to democracy and individual liberty, probably only the scamp and the spirit of the scamp alone will save us from becoming lost as serially numbered units in the masses of disciplined, obedient, regimented and uniformed coolies. The scamp will be the last and most formidable enemy of dictatorships. He will be the champion of human dignity and individual freedom, and will be the last to be conquered. All modern civilization depends entirely upon him.

"Probably the Creator knew well that, when He created man upon this earth, He was producing a scamp, a brilliant scamp, it is true, but a scamp nonethelesas. The scamp-like qualities of man are, after all, his most hopeful qualities. This scamp that the Creator has produced is undoubtedly a brilliant chap. He is still a very unruly and awkward adolescent, thinking himself greater and wiser than he really is, still full of mischief and naughtiness and love of a free-for-all. Nevertheless, there is so much good in him that the Creator might still be willing to pin on him His hopes, as a father sometimes pins his hopes on a brilliant but somewhat erratic son of twenty. Would He be willing some day to retire and turn over the management of this universe to this erratic son of His? I wonder...."

I remember reading that book some years ago now. I think the idea of the scamp is a great one. It's somewhat become a deep part of Chinese culture... unfortunately it translates into Chinese doing many things in a slipshod manner and totally un-professionally, so they can wag off and have a sleep or go for a long lunch...leaving someone else to do the job that they then pass off to someone else if they can. Hence buildings falling down and loss of life due to gross incompetence.

I remember elsewhere in that book lin yutang mentions how much Chinese people like to sleep... how right he is. Still, I've learnt a lot about avoidance from them! Create a rule, any rule, and someone Chinese will find a way to circumvent it, they are truly brilliant at it. They are at their best when finding the method of getting the most results with the least effort.

God bless the scamps...but not the construction worker scamps.

...the most results with the least effort.

Very efficient, very Tao

Very TaoBum, the original scamps. ^_^

*Bump*  :) 

(Can't help thinking about Nungali...  :P)

Edited by cheya
  • Like 1