I believe there are some members here who have studied NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). Every time I come across it, it seems like an interesting technology to improve one's life, to become more productive and successful, and to 'hack' one's own mind and habits. It doesn't appear to have any spiritual or energetic effects. It seems to me to be very useful. Anyone with experiences or opinions of NLP? Does it deliver what it promises? Best way to learn it?

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

I believe there are some members here who have studied NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). Every time I come across it, it seems like an interesting technology to improve one's life, to become more productive and successful, and to 'hack' one's own mind and habits. It doesn't appear to have any spiritual of energetic effects. It seems to me to be very useful. Anyone with experiences or opinions of NLP? Does it deliver what it promises? Best way to learn it?

I am a brainwave entrainment enthusiast and have used software from Transparent Corp for mind programming. If you are not familiar with BWE, it uses pulsing tones and/or light flashes to guide your mind to specific brainwave states. When the mind is in a receptive state (alpha or theta) you use visualizations, recorded hypnotic scripts or affirmations to program your mind (subconscious).

For instance, a user would guide their mind to an alpha state. They then visualize themselves in the outfield making the perfect defensive play while at the same time slapping their glove and smelling the leather. The entrainment then puts them in a beta state, the state that they will be in in that situation.

The next day the person is in the outfield. They slap their glove and smell the leather, instantly putting them "in the zone". The ball is hit to them when they make the perfect catch and accurate throw, just as they visualized it.

I have found this to be very effective, even after only one use. It can be used for just about anything from changing bad habits to erasing traumatic memories.

It doesn't appear to have any spiritual of energetic effects.

Not true. Meditation and energy practices are a form of mental programming. As stated, you can use mental programming for just about anything.

NLP can help spiritual development because it helps you analyse your personality actions, perceptions--the stuff that is so automatic and that you do not notice. In NLP, the idea is to give the person an expanded choice or field of choice so that they can reprogram parts of their personality for ones benefit. I have found that the spritual benefit side is that the knowing is the detaching. In the same way Buddhists somehow want you to detach from this or that behavior or craving or thought pattern, NLP is letting you do this with some pretty amazingly good information and methods. The question for some is how does Buddhist or NLP detaching from the Skandhas or ego aglomorations actually work to further spiritual development. Well, its the path of wisdom, where the energetic body tends to be enlivened, channels cleared, as the rigid programmed behaviors of the ego are parsed, analysed, chosen, discarded, etc. Its a path where the body follows the mind. Its by no coinicidence that NLPers somehow eventually find themselves on a spiritual path (me for example)

NLP can help spiritual development because it helps you analyse your personality actions, perceptions--the stuff that is so automatic and that you do not notice. In NLP, the idea is to give the person an expanded choice or field of choice so that they can reprogram parts of their personality for ones benefit. I have found that the spritual benefit side is that the knowing is the detaching. In the same way Buddhists somehow want you to detach from this or that behavior or craving or thought pattern, NLP is letting you do this with some pretty amazingly good information and methods. The question for some is how does Buddhist or NLP detaching from the Skandhas or ego aglomorations actually work to further spiritual development. Well, its the path of wisdom, where the energetic body tends to be enlivened, channels cleared, as the rigid programmed behaviors of the ego are parsed, analysed, chosen, discarded, etc. Its a path where the body follows the mind. Its by no coinicidence that NLPers somehow eventually find themselves on a spiritual path (me for example)

It sounds very important, then. It seems as though using NLP along with meditation and spiritual practices might accelerate your development. I am very intrigued with all the NLP stuff I encounter, and am fascinated by some of it. Particularly interesting is the Timeline Process, in which one takes advantage of how we represent chronological time internally to overcome problems and make decisions. What is the best way to get started with NLP?

Bum Grasshopper, the entrainment software looks really interesting, but they only run on Windows, and I'm a Mac guy.

Bum Grasshopper, the entrainment software looks really interesting, but they only run on Windows, and I'm a Mac guy.

Not a problem. You can use any BWE track. There are a lot of free ones you can download off the net.

Alpha programs are for visualizations. After about 10 minutes listening to such a track, you should be in an alpha state. Visualize yourself in the third person, as if watching a movie.

Theta tracks are much longer, as it takes the mind longer to reach a theta state. You must find a way to add recorded scripts/affirmations to whatever track you are using, or have some other player play them about a half hour into the session. Listen to the words, but do not try to analyze them. Too much mental activity (such as visualizing) will bring you out of a theta state. Just listen to the words, and try not to fall asleep. This is not subliminal, but doing such programming just before sleep has been found to be more effective.

I believe there are some members here who have studied NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). Every time I come across it, it seems like an interesting technology to improve one's life, to become more productive and successful, and to 'hack' one's own mind and habits. It doesn't appear to have any spiritual or energetic effects. It seems to me to be very useful. Anyone with experiences or opinions of NLP? Does it deliver what it promises? Best way to learn it?

Hi Songs,

The best way to understand NLP is to understand the foundation. I would recommended "Science and Sanity" Korzybsky.

When I find a WiFi I will comment further.

Well well.. Hehe.

I got some material for you that will make you more productive and succesful or solve every problem in a humans life for that matter. Wether you trust a stranger like me for his words? Thats entirely up to you. Give me a private message.

Often NLP is over hyped(ala Tony Robins), but when it works it works well. You could look up some NLP style podcasts in Itunes. I like EnerSanctum Podcast. He's got a number of free shows available.

I don't consider biaural music to be NLP but it can put you into various trance states. Lately I've been using Kelly Howell's Sacred Ground-Brain Wave Therapy CD. Not all the pieces connect to me, but one Deep Resonance (ThetaΔ) puts me pretty far under. Some of Deuters music also has a deep effect, particularly Island in the Sun.

Yours

Michael

I don't consider biaural music to be NLP but it can put you into various trance

Correct. BWE by itself is not NLP, but rather a tool to get better, quicker results. Entrainment + visualizations/recorded scripts and affirmations= NLP

"Meditation and energy practices are a form of mental programming. As stated, you can use mental programming for just about anything."

I'd figured from certain practices that I've tried so far that it depends on what type of meditation you're referring to. Certainly IME anything "guided" is IMO close "enough" to NLP. Certainly IMO you would be a "willing" subject.

However, experimental problems seem to crop up IMO (and sort of IME) with "Energy practices" as a general term.

IMO (and almost "getting it" experience) the latter and NLP are not quite the same, because "energy practices," when fruitful could (IMO)also be described as:

- pre/non-linguistic

- non-semiotic

- non-local.

I think that this is why it could be worthwhile digging around in the practices to see what "fits" the NLP moniker and what doesn't. I think that would be helpful :-)

Energy arts also often seem (although that could be called into question) to have no "externals" - So the glove-smelling stuff wouldn't "work" in the context of an approach that didn't talk or recall the smell - indeed IMO the whole "point" of energy practices is to detach from all anchors.

So the deal would be that without anything, I could effect something :-)

However, I'm in the world and as such I'm a failed experiment. :)

There are some extremely Shamanistic and Magical elements within NLP. Some of the timeline stuff is straight up soul retrieval... They did their research well.

Seth.

It's very useful if you wanna' become president of the united states or pick up girls.

Some might call that mind rape(as might I).

Very nice to use on yourself.... but steer clear of using it on others without consent.

Obamas_Use_of_Hidden_Hypnosis_techniques_in_His_Speeches.pdf

Ninpo,

Have you joined the Tea Party? Will soon deny being a witch? Have you lost your mind?

I'm not hypnotizing you - just asking.

Ninpo,

Have you joined the Tea Party? Will soon deny being a witch? Have you lost your mind?

I'm not hypnotizing you - just asking.

Tea party!!?? Where, where??? I do so love tea parties, I'm getting a warm feeling inside just thinking about it.

Which/witch? I'm not a witch, and I feel no compelling desire to deny it.

have I lost my mind?..... I've been going over this question for the last ten minutes and have not been able to resolve this in my mind...It's strangely fascinating... it seems so open ended....

I think I'm gonna go buy a copy of 'Catcher in the Rye tomorrow'. I have 12 copies already, doesn't seem like enough if you ask me.

I am a brainwave entrainment enthusiast and have used software ...

Thanks for that excellent description, before I hadn't the foggiest. :)

For a complete understanding of NLP, some background reading is required. Korzybski, Milton Erickson and Gregory Bateson are most helpful. Bandler and Grinder studied Erickson's work in an attempt to discover Erickson's success in using very rapid psychotherapeutic techniques.

General Semantics is a way of seeing the world in terms of possibilities as opposed to the absolutism of, this is the way it is, and yes and no. I have repeatedly argued this point with several on this forum to no avail. :lol:

More later when I crawl out of the desert sands. Those pesky alien impersonating fruit bats are at it again! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Sanity-Introduction-Non-Aristotelian-International/dp/0937298018/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288997571&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=milton%20erickson&sourceid=Mozilla-search

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&tag=mozilla-20&index=blended&link_code=qs&field-keywords=gregory%20bateson&sourceid=Mozilla-search

• Like 1

Ralis is right about all those names, they are all great and facinating.

Typically NLP is taught seminar style, like a university course condensed into a few days. I think the best way is to get the audio recordings of the overview course, the one I like is Chris Howard "NLP and Leadership Practitioner Training Course". Give it a listen, and see if its your cup of tea.

Then you can go in whatever direction of your interests, be it languaging, meta-programs, hypnosis, Ericksonian, values, persuasion, NLP techniques, Bandler's stuff...

Tea party!!?? Where, where??? I do so love tea parties, I'm getting a warm feeling inside just thinking about it.

have I lost my mind?..... I've been going over this question for the last ten minutes and have not been able to resolve this in my mind...It's strangely fascinating... it seems so open ended....

I think I'm gonna go buy a copy of 'Catcher in the Rye tomorrow'. I have 12 copies already, doesn't seem like enough if you ask me.

Ninpo,

Look into my eyes ....

You must not think that you have replied to my message while we are talking here. Its an idea which is rather like the layers of an onion.

So how do you feel now?

Yours,

B. Obama.

I am handing you the prize for the most multi layered snarky riposte post I have seen in a month of Sundays. Impressive...and cracked me up.

Ninpo,

Look into my eyes ....

You must not think that you have replied to my message while we are talking here. Its an idea which is rather like the layers of an onion.

So how do you feel now?

Yours,

B. Obama.

Well.... I'm thinking if I have an idea, or an onion, I'd give it to you. Then we'd have an onion each. Or we'd be onions...yes we can. Now there's an idea.

I really should applogize to you.

Thats a totally opposite position, because nearly all great men in history got multiple benefits by refusing to give apologies, fascinatingly. Right now.....I'm regretting it. Because when I burn, I burn hard, sure do.

I am handing you the prize for the most multi layered snarky riposte post I have seen in a month of Sundays. Impressive...and cracked me up.

Awww shucks... :D

You old silver tonged charmer you :P

Edited by Ninpo-me-this-ninjutsu-me-that

Oh yeah? Well I'm just going to Ninjitsu-you-this-and ninpo-you-that for good measure...(I've been wanting to write that since I first read your handle, feels good to get that out there).

But seriously, it seems like there is some really important neurological technology that if consciously used, can be of great benefit to those on the path of spiritual development. If there are any who can point out the really helpful stuff? Are there any here who have deeply explored NLP, rather than just dabbling?

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Oh yeah? Well I'm just going to Ninjitsu-you-this-and ninpo-you-that for good measure...(I've been wanting to write that since I first read your handle, feels good to get that out there).

Better out than in as they say.... of course now I'm gonna have to go for months of therapy to get over it.

...rather than just dabbling?

Talk about a way to kill your own thread man. Honestly, you and tact aren't exactly good bed fellows..... and thats coming from someone lacking in much of the same :D

We may be able to go to therapy together now, we could get a group discount! :lol:

As an illustration of the potential power of NLP type stuff as a tool to influence others check out the october man sequence, the mother of all mindfuck tools.

• Like 1