Sign in to follow this  
Singh

Recommened Books On Tai Chi, Qi Gong

Hey all could any of you recommend me any good books on tai chi qi gong for begginers, im currently looking for somewhere to learn but having trouble findind teachers near by since i dont have a car.

Hey all could any of you recommend me any good books on tai chi qi gong for begginers, im currently looking for somewhere to learn but having trouble findind teachers near by since i dont have a car.

Taoist Yoga and Sexual Energy by Eric Yudelove

The Root of Chinese Qigong by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

Qigong: The Secret of Youth by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming

The YMAA Secret of Youth book is *not* a beginners book at all. (It happened to be the first qigong book I picked up :lol: so after getting through a third of the book and skimming around a little more, it was plainly obvious I had a lot more work to do on basics...)

YMAA does have a bunch of good material on taijiquan, beginner to advanced, martial application to internal advancement:

http://ymaa.com/publishing/books/internal

Its a truly deep subject.

Jou, Tsung Hwa Tao of Taijiquan or Wong Kiw Kit Complete book of Taijiquan. I started with those and do not regret it. But they are more for adjusting your form than teaching it directly.

Another vote for YMAA material, but keep in mind it is very hard to extract the new among the repetition (almost as if each book is its own standalone volume).

8 Simple Qigong exercises for health (Ba Duan Jin) is practical and easier to learn while his other taijiqigong do better when paired with videos. Qigong small circulation is most comprehensive and well presented and will cover most of his main theory (and spares you excessive internal advertisement of "wanna know more, too bad, see my other book" since it is, finally, an 'advanced' book).

of course there is always Zhan Zhuang from Lam Kam Chuen for standing Qigong, easy to learn and very worthwhile along with his version of baduanjin.

the Embryonic Breathing book, imho, should be on the shelf of any meditator, and that will absolutely help with tajiquan or other martial arts as well. its *that* good, there's a lot of good stuff in small circulation but it builds upon what's found in EB.

I know you said books, but maybe you should also take a look at Classical Tai Chi DVD I: Internal Discipline

Stephen Hwa's explanation of Tai Chi is very good IMO. If you like his approach there is also more DVDs with complete forms.

joeblast: I have Embryonic Breathing. Although I do not practise it I can see the link between that kind of breathing and tai chi - I only understood it when I saw the above DVD.

I know you said books, but maybe you should also take a look at Classical Tai Chi DVD I: Internal Discipline

Stephen Hwa's explanation of Tai Chi is very good IMO. If you like his approach there is also more DVDs with complete forms.

joeblast: I have Embryonic Breathing. Although I do not practise it I can see the link between that kind of breathing and tai chi - I only understood it when I saw the above DVD.

I agree: Stephen Hwa DVDs are really good - quite unlike anything I have seen before and full of essence.

Yet, perhaps starting out from scratch with a full 108 form Taiji may be more than you'd want to bargain for in having a sniff at it.

Thus, I suggest starting with getting Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body - it is quite straightforward to follow and once you've read through it a couple of times and practiced daily for a few months you'll probably develop your own feel for what is right for you to do next.

Its a supercharger! ;)

Sign in to follow this