sean

What would YOU ask Bruce Frantzis?

Sorry I waited till the last minute to add in my huge list of questions. Here they are:

There has been much discussion on the forum on your teaching of water and fire methods. Could you clarify what these mean? In particular, how are fire, wood, etc. energies used in the Water Method? Are there earth, metal, or wood methods? Might a Water Method practitioner have a fiery experience as a result of cultivation? What are the Chinese words used for the Water method and Fire method? How does the Water/Fire school distinction fit in with the modern Zhengyi and Quanzhen sects?

Many Tao Bums take an eclectic and non-traditional approach to cultivation. As someone whose path was also quite eclectic and yet still traditional, is there any wisdom you would impart to the modern information age spiritual seeker?

Many Tao Bums who resonate with the material in your books yet are also interested in practices that work with Chi and Shen levels. What advice would you give to such seekers?

What is the difference between dissolving the physical body and relaxing as understood in the West? Can one dissolve the physical body, or must one be able to feel qi to practice dissolving? What would you recommend as the fastest way to learn to feel qi, so that one can dissolve the energy body?

What are your main goals in teaching the Taoist energy arts in the West?

Thank you for doing this Sean!

Really good questions! I second the speculation of whether or not there are other methods based on the other elements and also the whole eclectic advice thing?

Bruce:

-"Pietro who?"

;)

:lol:

edit:

An additional question to my previous one, if it's not too late...

A question I have is: Do you plan on publishing any more books and/or videos from the 16-part neigong system?

How about a Neigong version of the Bagua Mastery Program?

Edited by Pero

Dear Mr Frantzis,

I understand that you teach the water method, dissolving and the downward flow. This is the same way Mr. Max Christensen labels his Kunlun system, have you ever met him, and do you see any similarities in systems?

Dear Mr Frantzis,

I understand that you teach the water method, dissolving and the downward flow. This is the same way Mr. Max Christensen labels his Kunlun system, have you ever met him, and do you see any similarities in systems?

Now this would be a really good question.

Bruce often explained that Yoga, Buddhism, Taoism, (and he once also mentioned kunlun), tend to follow different principles. So much that if you are an expert you can recognize where a practice was created, even many generations after the practice has been adopted by another group

He often has entered in the differences between Yoga and Taoism. And part of this is because he spent time in India and even 10 months in a cave.

But he never explained the differences between all the other traditions.

I think this would be a great question for this community, and being a question that has never been asked (between kunlun and taoism for example) it covers new ground.

And here is my question:

Taoism has a system of 200 standing postures. Out of those 200 postures a subset of 8 are used in I Chuan. Bruce is recently teaching a course on them. What are the effects of those basic postures?

Really happy to see these additional excellent questions, this is great stuff.

I'm going to wait until later this evening to start organizing the interview questions, so if you have more questions for Bruce keep posting.

Thanks everyone!

Sean

BKF mentioned Kunlun? Did he mean the particular collection of practices that Max has labeled Kunlun, or the cultivation methods originating and practiced in Kunlun Shan? (What the connection between these two is is a mystery...)

I would also add to this line of thought is there only one Water Method? Are there other paths that would come under this umbrella besides Liu's lineage? And what is the name of Liu's specific lineage?

And seeing as yoga, Tao, etc. follow different principles, to what extent do they have the same results and goals?

Edited by Creation

There has been much discussion on the forum on your teaching of water and fire methods. Could you clarify what these mean?

I would like to insert this for maximum clarity on a frequently occurring confusion here on the forum:

"Is it that a particular practice is a water or fire method, or is it the system as a whole that is a fire or water method? What in particular makes a method or system water or fire? Are the mixtures?"

How are fire, wood, etc. energies used in the Water Method? Are there earth, metal, or wood methods? Might a Water Method practitioner have a fiery experience as a result of cultivation? What are the Chinese words used for the Water method and Fire method?

And I would rephrase this question

"How does the Water/Fire school distinction fit in with the modern Zhengyi and Quanzhen sects?"

As "How does your distinction of Taoists sects into Water and Fire fit with the historical classification into schools like Celestial Masters, Supreme Clarity, Complete Reality, etc."

And I have thought of a couple more questions:

Certain aspects of your training, in particular Taoist sexual practices, required a certain communal support. Do you think it will be possible to transmit these teachings into an environment without the same community element?

Although Taoist methods are different than yoga methods, do Taoists also utilize the energy yogis call kundalini shakti? What is the Taoist name for this energy and how does the Taoist conception of it differ from the yogic conception of kundalini shakti?

Creation, I suppose you were asking this to me. But if we start chatting we should open a different thread. I am sure Sean does not appreciate writing here until the question time is over.

BKF mentioned Kunlun?

Yes, he mentioned it in Brighton, last year or the year before. He later told me he knew someone (he said the name, but I am not good with names) who was (became?) a big shot in Kun Lun. But I don't know what exactly did he meant. I have to admit he offered to tell me something about it, but I wasn't interested (sorry, but the time with him is somehow always limited, so I need to prioritize the things that I really need). But this community is interested, so I suppose it would make a great topic for a question of general relevance.

I would also add to this line of thought is there only one Water Method? Are there other paths that would come under this umbrella besides Liu's lineage? And what is the name of Liu's specific lineage?

No, it's not the only, there are others.

(Although I don't know if Bruce knows them directly, or just Liu mentioned it to him; let's not forget that Bruce left China after Liu died).

The name of the lineage is not public. I don't think anyone (except Bruce) knows it.

And seeing as yoga, Tao, etc. follow different principles, to what extent do they have the same results and goals?

You should ask this to him. This is one question where he has said that they all aim to the same thing... but I myself have a lot of doubts. At least let's just say that each path can make you fall in different pits. So people can not reach the aim, and then become widely different human beings. But I am no one, and he is the lineage master.

You should ask this to him. This is one question where he has said that they all aim to the same thing... but I myself have a lot of doubts. At least let's just say that each path can make you fall in different pits. So people can not reach the aim, and then become widely different human beings. But I am no one, and he is the lineage master.

I'd love to hear what he says! please ask this one!

Edited by Dharmandy

Hi Pietro. Nice to see you around. The second two paragraphs of my post were more questions to ask Bruce but I'm glad you chimed in on them anyway.

The name of the lineage is not public. I don't think anyone (except Bruce) knows it.

OK, I definitely don't want to step on the Lineage's toes here. What I mainly wanted to know with the name question is "Is Liu's lineage associated with any of the big names of Taoist schools like Zhengyi, Quanzhen, etc.", sort of like a follow up on one of my previous questions. So that would probably be a better thing to ask.

Edited by Creation

Many Tao Bums who resonate with the material in your books yet are also interested in practices that work with Chi and Shen levels. What advice would you give to such seekers?

I finally figured out how to put what I really wanted to ask here into words:

Many Tao Bums resonate with the material in your books yet are also interested in practices that work with Chi and Shen levels, but your books say that this strictly comes after the Jing level practices. Is there any advice you could give to spiritually minded seekers about higher level practices they could safely start on in tandem with the material in your books? Are there any practices you would specifically say to avoid combining with your methods?

Edited by Creation

And here is my question:

Taoism has a system of 200 standing postures. Out of those 200 postures a subset of 8 are used in I Chuan. Bruce is recently teaching a course on them. What are the effects of those basic postures?

I have a question to go with this, unless you already know the answer.

Is this system of 200 postures particular to the lineage in which BKF was taught or is it present in other lineages?

Or is this system the sum of all standing postures in all of Taoism?

I have a question to go with this, unless you already know the answer.

Is this system of 200 postures particular to the lineage in which BKF was taught or is it present in other lineages?

Or is this system the sum of all standing postures in all of Taoism?

My understanding is that it's a system in itself. But I ignore if it...

... sum of all standing postures in all of Taoism?

Yes, great question! I would love to hear some elaboration on the actual energetic mechanics and varying purposes of zhan zhuang itself vs moving qigong vs lotus-sitting stillness neigong, generally-speaking?

Are some better for cultivating martial power, health, longevity, immortality and/or enlightenment? Or jing, qi and/or shen? Or the 8 extraordinary vessels, 12 meridians and/or various chakras?

There's just so many different types of qigong, neigong & neidan. What are the general principles differentiating them?

Edited by vortex

I read BKF's books and loved them, early in the day. Then, within the taijiquan community, I came across a lot of negative opinions about, not the practice, but the master himself. Some were coming from people whose opinion meant, to me, that the exact opposite must be true. But there were some, um, accusations coming from people I respected, although I don't know if they were talking about first-hand encounters or repeating some untoward statements uncritically. So if there's a way to clarify some of it, I would be very interested. If the accusations are false, why not put them to rest and shame the slanderers?..

The accusations I wish to see addressed were of the following nature:

1. The lineage is forged, or the lineage is legit but BKF has made up his position as its legitimate heir, or both.

Therefore, my question would be,

What documentation do you have to prove the legitimacy of your lineage and your position as its heir and transmitter?

E.g., my taiji teacher has a written, signed statement from his teacher explicitly instructing him to transmit the art. My Longmen master has given me a signed certificate clearly stating the extent of what I have been taught by him and my consequent qualifications. What does BKF have to this effect?

2. The master has a scary temper bordering on "crazy," can't control his impulses, and has hurt students.

Are you aware of any instances that may have given rise to the rumors of emotionally or physically hurting your students, and if yes, how would you explain them from your own perspective?

2. The master has a scary temper bordering on "crazy," can't control his impulses, and has hurt students.

Are you aware of any instances that may have given rise to the rumors of emotionally or physically hurting your students, and if yes, how would you explain them from your own perspective?

Is this a common well known opinion of him that he has a bad temper or is it just rumour? Not that I have ever met him but I got the impression from his Water Method books that he focused more on Yin compassionate methods now which I would have thought would calm such a temper, I studied his teaching on anger quite closely in his books looking for advice lol.

My question for Bruce is that in his books he clearly refers to the Tao as being Universal Consciousness which we learn to re-acquaint ourselves with after we have dissolved the contents of the mind-stream (subsequent to dissolving blockages of both physical and mental levels).

I would like to know from Bruce what message he has for those naysayers who claim that there is "Actually" no Universal Consciousness, and further claim that the biggest joke of the Universe is that everything is empty without substance, self-existence and self-nature and is therefore a nihilistic void!

I would like to know from Bruce what message he has for those naysayers who claim that there is "Actually" no Universal Consciousness, and further claim that the biggest joke of the Universe is that everything is empty without substance, self-existence and self-nature and is therefore a nihilistic void!

Actually there is no nihilistic void either, as this interpretation or experience of the Muni's teaching arises dependently and lacks self existence as well. :lol:

Thus the Buddha teaching is nether nihilistic nor is it eternalistic. :) It's completely free of all views and their proliferation's, thus taking up the viewless view.

Actually there is no nihilistic void either, as this interpretation or experience of the Muni's teaching arises dependently and lacks self existence as well. :lol:

Thus the Buddha teaching is nether nihilistic nor is it eternalistic. :) It's completely free of all views and their proliferation's, thus taking up the viewless view.

er...the question WAS intended for Bruce Frantzis :D

Hi,

Thanks for conducting this interview. I read in BKF's book opening the energy gates that he discourages the use of taoist sexual practices, but he list very obscure just plain painful practices like hanging heavy weights from the testicles and sucking the testicles into the body for protection. These just sound dangerous and I would agree with him to never mess with those kind of practices. But I am curious about his view on Mantak Chia's practices of internal orgasm. Chunyi Lin from spring forest qigong also alludes to this that when done correctly sex can be very beneficial to ones energy instead of depleting. Obviously Mantak Chia's practices are very safe due to the high positive feedback from amazon and on his overall practices. I do not think Mantak Chia would be as acclaimed as he is without his practices being safe and helpful; not only that but he probably would have been sued by now or had his books taken off the shelves a long time ago if his methods were dangerous and damaging. I would just like to ask Bruce Frantzis his opinion on Mantak Chia's taoist sex practices of internal orgasm.

This article http://www.universal-tao.com/FAQ/healing_love.html describe what I am talking about and says that celibacy is not the only path for those worried about depleting energy through sex. Instead sex can be used to further develop one's energy and spiritual lives.

Instead sex can be used to further develop one's energy and spiritual lives.

Same in Highest Yoga Tantra or Anuttarayoga tantra in the Vajrayana tradition of Buddhism where one practices with a live karma mudra or action lock with a yogin/yogini. But, one must have developed a level of mastery in meditative practice and visualization in the practices of Generation and Completion stages involving mandala practice or deity yoga.

Oh, I'm so vain I think every time you mention Buddhism in the way you mentioned it above, you're talking to me even if ever so very slightly within your own mind. :lol:

Who isn't a Buddhist... That's like asking the Pope, "oh those pesky Buddhist deny a creator god, can you tell me what you think if there is one or not?" :lol:

Though perhaps you're not thinking of Buddhism since it's not a nihilistic view.

Though perhaps you're not thinking of Buddhism since it's not a nihilistic view.

I used to think it was nihilistic when I couldn't understand how the universe could exist without an Eternal base, i.e. universal consciousness. When that rug is pulled from under your deeply held attachment to a universal Self/Source/God of all, the first thing the mind will do is scream nihilism out of fear without going into actually understanding how the Buddhist view is not nihilistic, it's just not Eternalist. It's hard to go from top down view to sideways view when you've been looking at the universe at a top down angle for so, so, long.