devoid

Connecting Baguazhang and the I-Ching

Meaning of the trigrams (Ba Gua) in Baguazhang and the I-Ching  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Baguazhang and the I-Ching are best studied...

• separately
    • jointly
    • I don't know

Hi Friends,

While trying to come to terms with the connection between Baguazhang (the martial arts) the I-Ching (the Book of Changes) I have noticed that the opinions of different masters vary greatly. Obviously, not everybody sees it black or white, but to get the discussion started I present the two generally opposing views which I have come across:

• Baguazhang and the I-Ching have very little to do with each other and should be studied as two separate subjects.
  • Baguazhang and the I-Ching are very closesly interrelated and should be studied closely together.

I have not fully made up my mind yet, although I have a tendency. I am hopeful that we can have an interesting discussion stemming from this poll and discussion thread.

Edited by devoid

In his book "The Tao of Taijiquan", Jou Tsung-Hwa argues that an understanding of the book of changes, yin/yang, etc are essential to high level mastery of Tai Chi Chuan. The underlying idea of the I Ching it seems is that an understanding of the mechanisms of change is necessary for mastery of anything in flux.

http://www.amazon.com/Dao-Taijiquan-Way-Rejuvenation-Tai/dp/0804813574

In his book "The Tao of Taijiquan", Jou Tsung-Hwa argues that an understanding of the book of changes, yin/yang, etc are essential to high level mastery of Tai Chi Chuan. The underlying idea of the I Ching it seems is that an understanding of the mechanisms of change is necessary for mastery of anything in flux.

http://www.amazon.com/Dao-Taijiquan-Way-Rejuvenation-Tai/dp/0804813574

Thanks Xakarii,

I have not yet read Jon Tsung-Hwa's books. I would be interested to understand if he get's specific about it or just stays with the old introducing of the subset (8/64) of the eight double hexagrams and then forgets to tell you in greater detail what the correlation is with the remaining 56 Hexagrams of the I-Ching?

Optimally, I would love to see a synopsis, like e.g.

I-Ching number | Hexagram | Translation of Hexagram Meaning | Interpretation related to IMA

-i.e. at least one comment for each of the 64 Hexagrams.

The proponents for studying IMA and I-Ching together which I have come across have not gone to such detail at all, which continues to leave me puzzled...

I try to will post a few more views (from both camps) in some additional posts.

Here's a view which I would consider fairly secular about it - indirectly, the view that there is a correlation and connection is made clear, yet it is also stated explicitly that one needs to approach them as individual topics:

From "Nei Jia Quan - Internal Martial Arts", 2nd Ed. Edited by Jess O'Brien, p69

As you practise, don't worry too much about the Yi Jing and the philosophy of Ba Gua. To understand Yi Jing is important, so you should study it. But while you are physically working, you have to focus your mind on that work. Don't think about the Yi Jing then; it will split your mind. Concentrate on your movements and postures. Work on the Yi Jing separately.

Here's a view quite opposed to the concept of connecting traditional Chinese literature with IMA (Although it is about Tai Ji philosophy vs. Taijiquan I believe one can confidently extend the argument to also covering the discussion of Ba Gua philosophy vs. Baguazhang). The following quote by Master Gabriel Chin is taken from a section in which he advocates avoiding trying to link Taijiquan with classics such as the I-Ching and the Tao Te Ching:

From "Nei Jia Quan - Internal Martial Arts", 2nd Ed. Edited by Jess O'Brien, p89

In response, the unworthy writer must admit that he fails to see the relation between the philosophy of the of Dao De Jing and the principle of Tai Ji. I have presumed that this confusion is due to the fact that Chinese is a "tonal" language. For example, in the sentence "Mr. Baer, walked out of his house bare-footed, ran into a bear, and barely escaped," all the bears in the sentence have the same sound. Similarly, whenever the term "Tai Ji" occurs, regardless of what subject it is related to it has been falsely assumed that "Tai Ji" is "Tai Ji," therefore people think they must have the same meaning.