Non

sleeping during the hours of 10-1 am

Well.. I read somewhere that it's important people get to sleep at least two hours before midnight for a good rest. I also read that during the hours of 11 and 12 midnight the body detoxes the most out of any other hr during sleep. And of course according to ChunYi Lin these hours including, the midday hours, are when our functional and control channels are most connected to each other.

Well.. I tried getting to sleep 2 hours before midnight, and I awoke exactly at 1am probably due to what I had in my stomach (a sour apple.. apples aren't doing well for me it seems, especially sour).

Anyways.. I couldn't go back to sleep after that. I had about 3 hours of sleep and I'm really energized!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm interested in polyphasic sleep right now. According to the Forshang Buddhism website (www.forshang.org) it was said that it's optimal that humans sleep only 5-7 hours a night and no more. The founder of the organization said this and then some time later a studies were done which confirmed his theory. Ie, people who sleep only 5-7 hrs a day live longer than those that sleep longer.

Further.. the founder of the buddhist organization says actually it's even better if one sleeps twice a day 2-4 hrs a day, it's better for the metabolism and it makes one more adaptable to change. So hm.. now I'm interested. I think if one becomes a polyphasic sleeper one would start to need less sleep.

Are you familiar with the Meridian Clock which describes the two hour intervals that each organ is associated to, in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)? In TCM, the optimal [natural rhythm, think sunset and sunrise] sleeping hours are going down around 7-9pm and waking up by 5am; although that conflicts with another idea that one of the key meditation times is 11pm-1am.

Certain organs are associated to a 2 hour window; The Lungs are 3-5am, so traditionally people woke up and went out to do breathing exercises (you can go to parks around china this early and see people coming until 7am). The next few hours govern the large intestine, stomach and spleen. So you can see why eating in the morning is a must since these organs not just expect it but go through their cycle with or without food; they are meant to do it with food.

As for noon time (11am-1pm), this is the heart 'time' and the highest Yang [fire] hour. Because the heart stands to benefit the most at this hour, a nap ensures the body does no exercise and can absorb the Yang in a safe way. It seems the noon siesta observed by many around the world has a good reason.

I was a history major, and we learned in school that before the advent of modern artificial lighting that people had what was called "first" and "second" sleep. Before artificial lighting people had the general tendancy to go to bed earlier, then to wake up either around of after midnight, then be up an hour or so, and then go back to bed for what was called second sleep. Then once modern lighting was invented this trend faded away.

I was a history major, and we learned in school that before the advent of modern artificial lighting that people had what was called "first" and "second" sleep. Before artificial lighting people had the general tendancy to go to bed earlier, then to wake up either around of after midnight, then be up an hour or so, and then go back to bed for what was called second sleep. Then once modern lighting was invented this trend faded away.

Hey there,

Really that is cool, But I am in trouble I go to bed at 9:00 PM and I sleep until 6:00 AM everyday. Unless something is going on that I'm worried about... I have to get my beauty sleep...lol

If less sleep makes us live longer I'm in trouble... I will die young, but be pretty. Just hope that isn't true... Mel

Hey there,

Really that is cool, But I am in trouble I go to bed at 9:00 PM and I sleep until 6:00 AM everyday. Unless something is going on that I'm worried about... I have to get my beauty sleep...lol

If less sleep makes us live longer I'm in trouble... I will die young, but be pretty. Just hope that isn't true... Mel

Well, about sleeping less. People vary in times that they need to sleep. if you for some might need to catch up on sleep then sleeping a little more is probably beneficial, but once you catch up on sleep, cutting the amount of time you see everyday to 5-7 hrs will not only be more possible but actually be of benefit.

Same with the polyphasic sleep. We are not used to it, so once we get into it we might feel tired, no we will feel tired for some time but once the body gets used to it, it will be the best way to sleep and it will be the most natural.

Make sure you are in bed well before the gallbladder channel becomes active: 11pm. And yes the way Western society has changed the natural order is hard to believe. Modern humans are robots.

my sifu is a polyphasic sleeper, but then again he also does a lot of qigong.

my sifu is a polyphasic sleeper, but then again he also does a lot of qigong.

howbout makin this a polyphasic thread ^.^v

Monophasic.pngUberman.png

lore has it that sleep may very well fall into the same pattern of habitual misbehavior that slowly causes one to lose touch with his inner gaywad. think of the 3 precious cauldron numerous practitioners mention. the sin of the lower tan tien is of course losing ones semen in very physical way. the danger of losing vitality in the middle tantien/cauldron could lie in eating (benifits of fasting and how you feel and act when you didnt have that sandwich). so maybe SLEEPING could be associated with the NI-WAN

Make sure you are in bed well before the gallbladder channel becomes active: 11pm. And yes the way Western society has changed the natural order is hard to believe. Modern humans are robots.
Interesting, why exactly is that?

good article here:

Sleep (or how to hack your brain)

http://dustincurtis.com/sleep.html

So Einstein or some other big scientist did this.

I can't do most of the above programs because of my work schedule, so I just do what I can. It takes about a month for the brain to adjust, and then you'll be able to acheive REM sleep in a very short period of time, so you can start taking short naps and still get quality sleep. Eventually you'll be so tired (this is part of the hacking period) that you'll be able to achieve REM sleep instantly upon lying down for the period of time you want to rest.

My friend told me the Chinese think it's better to sleep a 20 minute nap instead of a long time, it's about having as many sleep cycles as you can than of how long you sleep.

When normal people sleep the non-REM cycles are not even necessary, its the REM cycles you get most benefit from. Normal people just use the non-REM cycles to transition to the REM cycle.

Maybe if I just do 2-4 hrs twice a day for a month I'll have a hacked brain so then I can start experimenting progressively with other programs.

So yes it does take adjustment if you are on the normal sleep schedule. For about a month you'll be pretty tired but surely you'll start to be able take naps instead of sleeping long periods of time.

For me I found that when I take short naps in this way.. I wake up with more energy, just as a person does when he/she takes a nap and naturally awakes about half an hr or so feeling better. It's better for metabolism I'd say.. and you're more adaptable to change.

Edited by Non

Interesting, why exactly is that?

http://www.thriveacupuncture.org/1/post/2010/01/chinese-medicine-circadian-rhythyms.html

The Hai Period: Preparing to Rest - The SanJiao, or triple burner, is most active during the hours of 9pm to 11pm. At this time, our day should slowly begin to draw to a close. Computers, TV’s and cell phones should slowly be retired for the day to allow the mind time to settle into a restive state. It is an ideal time for pleasure reading, enjoying some light music, quiet meditation, or sharing intimate time together with a partner.

The Zi Period: Maintaining Yang Qi through Sleep - 11pm to 1am is the period when Yin energy is at its height. Yin energy directly correlates to the physiological process of sleep. Therefore, we should be soundly asleep during this period. Just getting into bed during these hours, reading, watching television, or struggling to fall asleep is not an efficient use of this time.The Gallbladder meridian is most active during the Zi period. According to the law of transformation of Yin and Yang (extreme Yin produces Yang; extreme Yang produces Yin), the gallbladder is responsible for giving birth to the first Yang energy of the 24 hour cycle. This Yang energy in its infantile state is highly vulnerable. Therefore, we must protect and allow it to grow through proper sleep.

and...

The Wu Period: A Quick Nap to Fortify Yang Qi - The Heart channel is most active during this period from 11am to 1pm. During this time, we should follow lunch with a brief period of rest. According to the principles of transformation of Yin and Yang, Yang energy has reached its apex. The NeiJing tells us that Yin is associated with the interior and sleep, while Yang governs the exterior and waking hours. Therefore, by following the midday meal with a brief period of rest, we can further this transition of Yang to Yin. This is especially important for Yang deficient people to fortify their Yang energy with a longer period of sleep. For the rest of us, a half hour of rest should be sufficient to protect the Heart energy and Yang qi.

Edited by Non

...or sharing intimate time together with a partner...

Not so from the male perspective as it is Yin time, hence time to rest and keep jing as it requires an enormous amount of energy to be produced. Just try having sex during the day as opposed during dark hours. Huge difference between the two. One feels very drained if jing is lost during after sunset. Ideal time for sex from a male perspective: sunrise...active Yang rising time.

Not so from the male perspective as it is Yin time, hence time to rest and keep jing as it requires an enormous amount of energy to be produced. Just try having sex during the day as opposed during dark hours. Huge difference between the two. One feels very drained if jing is lost during after sunset. Ideal time for sex from a male perspective: sunrise...active Yang rising time.

whoops, yea sorry about that. I dont really know I was just looking for a source on the Chinese circadian rhythm cycles.

in TCM meridian clock (2 hour cycle), 7-9pm is the "circulation sex" period. It's not just all about the man; this is the best balance. And one can retain or retrieve some of the lost Jing.

The 7-9pm is the time the pericardium meridian becomes active, and I certainly experience the stiffening of my penis right before sunrise, which is also a good time for morning meditation otherwise it'd be the best time for sex from a male's perspective if loss of jing is sought (but there would be no major loss as it is prime yang time).

The 7-9pm is the time the pericardium meridian becomes active, and I certainly experience the stiffening of my penis right before sunrise, which is also a good time for morning meditation otherwise it'd be the best time for sex from a male's perspective if loss of jing is sought (but there would be no major loss as it is prime yang time).

Only reason why I wolnd't do that is because I don't want to be feeling depleted the entire day afterwards. If you do it before sleeping at least you can rest some.