onlyindreams

The Way of the Warrior

Reading about Gurdjieff's philosophies earlier resonated with me - specifically his explanation of the three traditional ways to enlightenment + his "Fourth Way":

* The Way of the fakir (Sufi traditions): The fakir works to obtain mastery of the attention (self-mastery) through struggles with the physical body involving difficult physical exercises and postures.

* The Way of the monk (Buddhist and Christian traditions): The monk (or nun) works to obtain the same mastery of the attention (self-mastery) through struggle with the affections, in the domain, as we say, of the heart, which has been emphasized in the west, and come to be known as the way of faith due to its practice particularly by Catholic religious.

* The Way of the yogi (Hindu and Sikh traditions): The yogi works to obtain the same mastery of the attention (as before: 'self mastery') through struggle with mental habits and capabilities.

The Fourth Way focuses on the ability to constantly perform "conscious labors" and "intentional suffering."

Conscious Labor is an action where the person who is performing the act is present to what he is doing; he is not absentminded during his act, and or is "remembering himself." At the same time he is striving to perform the act more efficiently.

Intentional suffering is the act of struggling against the desires of the physical body such as daydreaming, pleasure, food (eating for reasons other than real hunger), etc... In Gurdjieff's book Beelzebub's Tales he states that "the greatest 'intentional suffering' can be obtained in our presences by compelling ourselves to endure the displeasing manifestations of others toward ourselves"

Gurdjieff claimed that these two acts were the basis of all evolution of man.

I'd like to start a discussion about the path of the warrior, which I see as a truly viable way to enlightenment, a distinctly fifth way.

The one who seeks to come to a deeper realization of consciousness and the essence of being through facing death, conquering fear, and destroying his enemies, physical and ethereal.

The one who lives with death constantly on his shoulder, striving to always be aware of death (and its cousin, impermanence)

The one who lives and trains daily to embody the warrior qualities of heroic courage, decisiveness in thought and action, total commitment, unconquerable spirit, indomitable willpower, and finally, compassion towards all living beings in his sphere of life.

The one who will truly lay down his life for an ideal, for love.

I am intensely reminded of Morihei Ueshiba, the founder of Aikido, and his first enlightenment experience, when he faced off in a sword duel with a famous Japanese military officer, a renowned swordsman - without a weapon of his own. He defeated the officer without harming him. Ueshiba was then walking along a path when

"...suddenly, the ground began shaking. A golden vapor wafted up from the ground and enveloped me. I was transformed into a golden image, and my body felt as light as a feather. All at once I understood the meaning of creation: the Way of a Warrior is to manifest Divine Love, a spirit that embraces, loves, and protects all things."

"I felt the universe suddenly quake, and that a golden spirit sprang up from the ground, veiled my body, and changed my body into a golden one. At the same time my body became light. I was able to understand the whispering of the birds, and was clearly aware of the mind of God, the creator of the universe.

At that moment I was enlightened: the source of Budo is God's love — the spirit of loving protection for all beings... Budo is not the felling of an opponent by force; nor is it a tool to lead the world to destruction with arms. True Budo is to accept the spirit of the universe, keep the peace of the world, correctly produce, protect and cultivate all beings in nature..."

There exists a book called the 'Art of Peace', which is a compilation of aphorisms credited to Ueshiba. I will share with you my favorites, which I have assimilated into my being.

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it;

Through forging, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword.

Human beings develop in the same fashion.

The way of a Warrior

Cannot be encompassed

By words or in letters;

Grasp the essence

And move on toward realization!

Listen to the words of the wise,

And take all that is good as your own.

With this as your base,

open your own door to truth.

Do not overlook the truth that is right before you

“The greatest evil of all is creating disorder in the world.”

“The warrior is charged with bringing a halt to all contention and strife.”

“Become one that understands the power of words.”

“Try and limit those opportunities, those openings in the heart for maliciousness to enter.”

If those quotes resonated with you, go out and pick up that book - it may change your life as it did mine. You can also find it posted on various websites online.

I am also reminded of Miyamoto Musashi, Japan's most legendary samurai, who defeated over 60 men in duels to the death and is best remembered for his book, 'The Book of Five Rings', a masterpiece (I highly suggest that anyone who feels that he possesses the warrior mind set to read this book.)

Here is an excerpt which I have also committed to memory and posted on my wall:

The development of warrior consciousness is an ongoing thing. Each new experience continually leads to new experiences.

The ‘Way’ cannot be learned through frivolous contests or fights. It can only be realized where physical death is a reality.

It is a specific and determinedly deliberate methodology. The ancients must be studied constantly without respite, even when the practitioner thinks he has grasped the knowledge. Only through a constant search from within, based on one’s own lifestyle, can the truth be known. It is absolutely a personal thing...

That's all I've got to share with yall at the moment. But like I said, I want to start up a discussion on this topic [which I believe is my life's calling, my vocation] and it's role / place / absence / presence in today's western society.

Edited by onlyindreams

It's a rocky road you wish to tread. You have a very arduous journey ahead of you. Good luck. My 2 cents :)

some fine quotes...

If I remember correctly the "fourth way" is also alluded to as the way of the "sly man".

Death is not an easy nut to crack but it to dies.

Aikido, wonderful teachings there!

Om

p.s. You can edit the title note from the "fifth" to the fourth by using the full editor, but no biggy really.

Edited by 3bob

Robert de Ropp was a student of Ouspensky and J.G. Bennett. His autobiography, 'Warrior's Way' is an account of the warrior path, and his book 'Self Completion: Keys to a Meaningful Life' is a succinct masterpiece and road map of the warrior's path. I recommend it highly.

Thank you.

I devour this kind of material. When I am done with these works, I will get back to you.

As encouragement to you, I experienced my first Oneness experience while in the Army serving in Vietnam.

Thank you for sharing that.

I am 21 years old and was attending a state university through an Army ROTC scholarship. I envisioned myself commissioning as a 2nd LT in a combat arms branch, etc etc.

After much time spent in solitude, reflection, contemplation, I have decided to break free from all of that. I am suspending my studies in school and disenrolling from Army ROTC.

I plan on enlisting in the Marine Corps as soon as my lease is up.

Edited by onlyindreams

This type of "warrior" has nothing to do with a Divine Love that embraces, loves and protects all things.

You would rather end up following orders and killing people.

I would much rather practice aikido(ueishiba) for decades and not the steven segal or Bruce lee variety.

Its not about the art of war its about the art of piece.

I would disagree with the last two posts. A warrior need not be an evil murderer. A true warrior works for peace without conflict.

Sure, while serving as a warrior there will be times when there is no time for words and action must be taken. But this applies to civilian life as well.

I know that there are many members here who oppose a military of any kind. I respect that.

The military is no different than a small community police force that enforces the local, state, and national laws. The code "To serve and protect" applies to all police functions whether they be at a local level or at a national (on world as with the UN) level.

Without the warrior there would be no peace. History has proven this to be true.

Throughout recorded history the most frequently mentioned subject is war. Why is this? It is because there are those who would take everything that another person has. Therefore the warrior is needed to protect those who cannot protect themselves. This requires armys and these armies will meet in aggression.

The true warrior is the one who can defeat his enemy without aggression whether it be through a show of force or logical discussion.

Maybe one day all people of the earth will comply with the 'golden rule'. But until that day comes there will be a need for the warrior. Better, I think, to have a compassionate warrior than a bunch of murdering barbarians.

The one who seeks to come to a deeper realization of consciousness and the essence of being through facing death, conquering fear, and destroying his enemies, physical and ethereal.

It's a double edged sword. This is not something to undertake lightly....but hey, if this is your calling?

BTW There is a warrior's code that I have held close from the very first time I heard it.

"I will help you if I can; I will kill you if I must."

Note that helping is mentioned first. Note also that to kill becomes the only option remaining.

BTW There is a warrior's code that I have held close from the very first time I heard it.

"I will help you if I can; I will kill you if I must."

Note that helping is mentioned first. Note also that to kill becomes the only option remaining.

Ouch! I have never heard that saying before but it really cuts throught the crap :) i like it & will use it myself in the future to help put things in perspective. Thankyou :)

Thank you for sharing that.

I am 21 years old and was attending a state university through an Army ROTC scholarship. I envisioned myself commissioning as a 2nd LT in a combat arms branch, etc etc.

After much time spent in solitude, reflection, contemplation, I have decided to break free from all of that. I am suspending my studies in school and disenrolling from Army ROTC.

You need not be a warrior, in the service of a government that doesn't live by it's own moral standards.

Live and raise kids, be the warrior you were meant to be protecting a family.

The true warrior uses his sword of wisdom to cut through his own self-created trappings to find that which is primordial and everlasting.

However maybe I have wasted words. All knowledge is self knowledge.

However maybe I have wasted words. All knowledge is self knowledge.

No words of wisdom are ever wasted. What you said is a valid perspective.

Another BTW:

The code I quoted above is generally credited to Leonard Cohen in one of his songs. The root seems to be from the Latin (Romans) taken from the Greek. (Cohen had a lot of historical thoughts in his works, especially from the Greeks and also from the Bible.)

If the Tao could be murdered the "enemy" would have done so long ago; thus the rootless can not prevail against the rooted.

The saying, "We have met the enemy and he us" applies to whom?

If there is really only one of us that is in all of us, what can be killed and what can not?

This type of "warrior" has nothing to do with a Divine Love that embraces, loves and protects all things.

I know myself well. I would never harm a woman or child or an otherwise non-combatant in any way, physically, mentally, emotionally - unless my life or that of other innocents was directly threatened. Never to execute a prisoner or someone who surrenders. Still, if someone is trying to put an end to my life, I will do everything in my power to cut that man down.

Currently, I got hopes and expectations that the training and discipline will forge me into a better man, tougher, more grounded, disciplined, and well versed in the sacred and primal art of killing.

I am reminded of a Taiji master's verse:

If you lack the ability to defend another

with non-violent actions,

then use violence with extreme caution.

If you cannot even use violence

you are a coward and a burden

to your family and society.

I also (perhaps foolishly) believe that I will always uphold the tenets and values that I live by, that I will strive to always do good wherever I may end up, that I will rather die than let something unrighteous occur in my presence.

If you'd like another look into my personal beliefs, read this excerpt from a spontaneous essay I wrote and posted on facebook one morning after reading a news article about the failed shoe bombing attempt:

...this is because he is a genuine leader of men, who has great vision and the power to inspire men to commit acts regardless of what their hearts may truly be telling them.

That is the only thing I respect about bin Laden.

To me, bin Laden and his syndicate are nothing more than a bunch of cold blooded murderers of women and old men, children and infants, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters, friends and lovers, who hide behind a guise of false righteousness, a fanaticism that shames the religion of Islam and Sunni Muslims worldwide, and a dogma that epitomizes and honors the shedding of blood for a perverted cause (a vendetta - cold, plain, and simple).

The real tragedy lies not in the people who are directly and indirectly affected by the attacks that his gang have orchestrated and conducted but in al-Qaeda's breeding and indoctrination of a generation of young men to hate and desire to kill and mutilate and scar people that they have never even seen face to face before...

....Never let ANYONE justify a terrorist attack. Women, children, civilians, and bystanders DO NOT deserve a violent death at the hands of maniacs.

Never stand by and let someone rail against the United States of America, the nation that possesses the greatest force for good in the history of mankind. Very few things in life are perfect. Know that more people leave their homelands and somehow make their way to the shores of America each year than to the shores of any other country on earth - and that is for a goddamn good reason - and a fact that we as citizens should take real pride in. Stop living in fear and hate and anger. Look at the mainstream media today and all the bullshit they propagate. Ignore all that and seek to really understand for yourselves and open your minds and hearts. Then do something about it...

The world is truly embroiled in an ideological conflict. I go to do my part in the battle of good versus evil, to stem the rising tide of violence that WILL occur in the years to come

Of course, I know that this is all from my perspective as a 2nd generation Korean-American who feels deep pride and a sense of responsibility for the land that provided so much for me.

The Marine Corps' core values are honor, commitment and courage. Three words that resonate deeply within

In my years of acute observation and experience, no other military organization possesses the discipline and integrity, the aggressiveness, the resourcefulness, and the will to never surrender that the Marine Corps instills and will fight to the death to uphold... I will gladly join such a warrior culture and give my life to uphold its values if need be.

Here is an excerpt from the last speech that Douglas MacArthur ever gave; it was to a graduating class at West Point at the outbreak of the Vietnam War -

"Duty, honor, country.

The code which those words perpetuate embraces the highest moral laws and will stand the test of any ethics or philosophies ever promulgated for the uplift of mankind. Its requirements are for the things that are right, and its restraints are from the things that are wrong.

The soldier, above all other men, is required to practice the greatest act of religious training – sacrifice.

In battle and in the face of danger and death, he discloses those divine attributes which his maker gave when he created man in his own image. No physical courage and no brute instinct can take the place of the divine help which alone can sustain him.

However horrible the incidents of war may be, the soldier who is called upon to offer and to give his life for his country is the noblest development of mankind.

…. On the contrary, the soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war.

But always in our ears ring the ominous words of Plato, that wisest of all philosophers: ‘Only the dead have seen the end of war.”

Edited by onlyindreams

I know that there are many members here who oppose a military of any kind. I respect that.

I also respect this. Terrible things happen in war and we can debate the justifications, the ramifications for days on end but the fact remains: there are innocents dying, there are wars being waged, there are communities that need to be rebuilt and instilled with hope, and there is a need for men to get the job done.

The true warrior is the one who can defeat his enemy without aggression whether it be through a show of force or logical discussion.

Here is another one of my favorite quotes by Ueshiba, which I understood the moment I read it:

The Way of a Warrior is to stop trouble before it starts. It consists in defeating your adversaries spiritually by making them realize the folly of their actions. The Way of a Warrior is to establish harmony.
Edited by onlyindreams

Still, if someone is trying to put an end to my life, I will do everything in my power to cut that man down.

This is the problem with talking about being a "spiritual warrior"...the killing aspect is inseparable from the symbol of "warrior", and because of that, it develops into a mindset which has little to do with spirituality. It actually holds you back.

There is absolutely no reason for someone to be thinking about what they would do in the heat of battle. We aren't at war. You don't live in a dangerous enough area. To be thinking about when you'd kill someone is a pointless exercise, and degenerates your mind and spirit.

It also appears very stupid to me, because as well as you think you know yourself, you never know what you'll do when it comes down to it. Reality changes things. Philosophy can easily go out the window, as I've seen happen in so many people I've known.

Those who disagree with this point haven't actually "been in the shit", as far as I'm concerned.

So, if you want to be a good person, why put yourself in the shit? It makes no sense to me. Just protect those around you, because there are enough problems at home!

However, I know you will do what you think is right, and most likely join. Then you will learn how things really are.

I suppose that is why I am interested in both Qigong and Martial arts. I have had a hard time explaining (even to myself) my draw to martial arts, but I know that its NOT because I want to be some bad ass tough guy (a lot of people I've known in martial arts do fit this category, and I find them extremely annoying). I instinctively feel in my gut that through martial arts there is some high virtue to be obtained. I had this same feeling about Qigong before I began it as well, and this has most definately turned out to be the case.

You know I will say this about the previous posts. I wanted to join the Marine Corps, but my father said I should join the army instead. He had been in the Marine reserves during the Vietnam era and hated it, and so thus decided that I would too. Yet me and my father are nothing alike (fortunately). So I ended up going into the Army, and the whole time I was in the army I regretted not going into the Marines like I has wanted to (felt that one in my gut also lol). The army was alright, but they did not have the same discipline and "warrior spirit" that I saw in the marines. I had gone to the Marine Military Academey in high school so this is how I knew somewhat of the marines.

Now I realize that a lot of people can see military guys, and especially marines as a bunch of jar heads, and there is some justification in this. But one thing people may not realize is that when you face death in the face, and when you contemplate what it means to possibly kill another human being, this can have quite an effect upon one's spiritual development. Granted there are those who do not learn the lesson, or miss it completely, but how is that different than anyone eles in soceity who misses the lessons that life tries to teach them?

As far as concerns about the morality of the government sending one into battle. Tell me when has any government that sent troops into battle had pure and noble motives? But not to sound like a re-run of "Black Hawk Down" when your on the battlefield and people are trying to kill you, you don't care about politics, and such, you just care about staying alive and your buddies to your left and right.

I'm not really sure why I got on this tangent, cause I think war sucks, and goverments are corrupt, but the point was on the individual warrior's own path. I've also learned through marital arts that one of the best ways to learn about another person and yourself is to fight them (not to sound like a Matrix re-run lol).

You see the secret of life is to die before you die and find that there is no death.

If you are truly living this you and ueshiba are at the same level.

At that level it absolutely does not matter if the other guy kills you or not.

Because you know for sure you cannot be killed. Because you are immortal.

At that level you would rather be killed than take another person's life.

Almost all the military personnels are not at that level of training which takes decades or more to realize.

So they find reasons to kill(even for self defense)

This is the highest level of being. The level attained by few rare individuals.

But is that possible. At least we can try!

All humans should strive for this. Once all people are there violence will end from the world. Peace will reign. We will have saints walking around all over the world. No need for police, army, military.

People will have no fear of death. Utopia.

I know myself well. I would never........

If you truly know yourself. you wouldn't deal in absolutes. No offence but you haven't scratched the surface in my opinion. :)

This is the problem with talking about being a "spiritual warrior"...the killing aspect is inseparable from the symbol of "warrior", and because of that, it develops into a mindset which has little to do with spirituality. It actually holds you back.

There is absolutely no reason for someone to be thinking about what they would do in the heat of battle. We aren't at war. You don't live in a dangerous enough area. To be thinking about when you'd kill someone is a pointless exercise, and degenerates your mind and spirit.

It also appears very stupid to me, because as well as you think you know yourself, you never know what you'll do when it comes down to it. Reality changes things. Philosophy can easily go out the window, as I've seen happen in so many people I've known.

Those who disagree with this point haven't actually "been in the shit", as far as I'm concerned.

So, if you want to be a good person, why put yourself in the shit? It makes no sense to me. Just protect those around you, because there are enough problems at home!

However, I know you will do what you think is right, and most likely join. Then you will learn how things really are.

I thought about the words I had written and read your response several times;

I never daydream about how I will perform or what it will be like to kill and maim. All I know in this instant is that if someone is trying to kill me, I will kill him.

you are absolutely right. i will join and then i will experience it all for my self.

though I don't know how I will act / react in it comes down to it, i'm not worried in the least.

I can already sense the amount of suffering and discomfort I am in for.

I see it as a trial. Can I remain centered, aware of my self, maintain my integrity amidst the chaos?

Having spent countless hours reading and hearing about wars, campaigns, battles, military technology, and the effects that wars have had on history, seeing innumerable pictures of the aftermath of battle and the scourge of war, as well as viewing all the uncensored and candid media that is available on the internet now has prepared me somewhat for what I may one day have to face and cope with.

Why do I want to put myself in the shit?

To see if I can hang, to see if I can excel

and this:

"Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the thread of your destiny" - Marcus Aurelius

Edited by onlyindreams