TheTaoBum

Live Crab Dispenser Machine in Nanjing (China)

Well the Chinese have done it again.. a seafood business in Nanjing have come up with the world's first live crab dispenser machine and placed it in one of their subway stations. Crabs of different sizes are packed in small containers and kept live in near freezing temperatures. Consumers simply have to insert their money and the crab of their choice would be dispensed out. The vendor even gives a guarantee that if anybody gets a dead crab, they will compensate them with 3 live ones. How creative.. one can only imagine the suffering that those crabs go through, frozen and trapped in a tight container, conscious but unable to move.

The Dhammapada says:

"When evil karma is immature
the fool thinks it is honeyed,
but when the evil has matured
then to the fool comes suffering."

The hunger of the Chinese for live seafood knows no bounds. As are result this hunger, millions of sea creatures are slaughtered everyday to satisfy their hunger. Of course, this also applies to land animals as the Chinese eat everything with their backs facing the sky. There are some well-known inhumane ways to slaughter and prepare seafood, and now they have thought of another inhumane way to sell them to consumers. It is appalling indeed that they have such scant regard for the welfare of animals.

But of course, nobody will think of protecting crabs or other sea creatures from cruelty in China, since everyone thinks of them as "food" like chickens and pigs. Businesses that are built up from taking lives and being cruel to animals can never prosper, for the evil karma accumulated will have serious consequences for all those in the business. Even if we cannot be vegetarians, we should at least not contribute to the demand for live animals, but settle for dead ones.

The craving for fresh and tasty meat is something that leads many to the states of woe. By weakening the demand for live animals, we also reduce the cruelty perpetrated towards countless animals everyday. The world will be a better place if the Chinese can learn to have more respect towards all life.

External Source btw: Edited by TheTaoBum

And to think they could just put RFID tags on the crabs and geolocate them via internet :ninja: Forget all that fishing business. :huh:

Guest paul walter

Once in a restaurant with Chinese mainlanders in Australia the topic of a recent ban (can't recall what country it was put in place in) on live lobster boiling came up- "Thank god we don't have things like that in China yet" was the consensus response. My personal favourite Chinese cruelty-pastime is the one where visitors to a wild animal park can buy a live cow and have it be fed to the big cats while the whole family watches in delight :)

If humans did not eat animals, there would be an over population. It seems the world was

created with higherchies. Small fish eats algae, medium fish eats small fish, big

fish eats medium fish, humans eat big fish. The dalai lama was reported to eat meat

because of his Hepititus A problem. Following Dr's orders apparently. If something

is not kept in check, it becomes imbalanced.

The question is suffering? How much suffering does the spirit that inhabits the

animal deserve? Is it his negative karma to be eaten, to suffer? Because

we are aware, we definitely need to try to prevent suffering in any

situation as much as possible.

In, my family they still practice shamanism. Its very old, probably older than tao. They sacrifice

bulls and chickens. Sometimes, they cut the throats of the chicken to

extract the blood. The blood is used to make a dish and is eaten. Nothing

is wasted. After the sacrifice, the bull is eaten and so is the chicken. Nothing

is thrown away.

I can tell there is tremendous suffering. Ive only participated as a kid, but have never since accepted it.

My dad has asked me to go kill a bull with him. I never went. I stop helping my

mom hold the chicken too when she was slicing their throat, very young in my life.

I already knew what they were doing was not quite right. Too brutal. But

the question is, how does this differ from your chicken nuggets you get from

the market or Mckkies? is this more brutal then the assembly line that has

mechanical arms tearing the heads off the chickens? hum???

The blood extraction is evil, but I can not really think of another method they

can get the blood without cuting the jugular. Like I said, they eat the blood.

They make a dish out of it, which is actually cooked, one raw jelly, too.... not

mean are really interested in the raw anymore because of the diseases these days.

I've always believed that eating animals was fine, if it is for food. Does a northerner

that lives in alaska who only feeds on meat because he can't grow food, any

more good in the creator's eyes? I seriously doubt it. I've thought about this

alot. Even some people say eating meat, makes one more Yang or as the hindus say more

Tamas. i'm still debating this. For example, its ok for hindus not to eat cows

because they till the farm, but it is ok to eat the chicken that provides the

eggs? Is the cow more evolved, more aware, than the chicken? hum?

So animals for food to me is fine... The question is lies in how the

animal is killed. It seems we need to invent ways to kill animals without them

suffering at all. I think this is the most beneficial way. To me the

best way would be to put them to sleep first, then pull the plug. This

way the animal spirit experiences no pain or suffering. The spirit then

goes onto its next life to experience that.

How creative.. one can only imagine the suffering that those crabs go through, frozen and trapped in a tight container, conscious but unable to move.

Funny but when I read this it made me think of all the people I see everyday walking around the mall I work at.

Businesses that are built up from taking lives and being cruel to animals can never prosper, for the evil karma accumulated will have serious consequences for all those in the business.

That sure doesn't seem to be the case here in the United States. Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will be until this whole house of cards comes crashing down.

It never ceases to amaze me the vast amounts of suffering that the human race is able to create.

The hunger of the Chinese for live seafood knows no bounds. As are result this hunger, millions of sea creatures are slaughtered everyday to satisfy their hunger...

If you get infected with a "flesh-eating disease" the hunger of the bacteria knows no bounds. They won't stop eating you alive until it is surgically removed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

That's the nature of suffering and impermanence. Focus on yourself rather than this world's problems.

.. Focus on yourself rather than this world's problems.

World is our larger self.Or?

To the original post:

It amazes me to what extent have we as humans perverted our sense of taste.And how we let this taste for food and exotic dishes rule us.For me, this is form of slavery and not just need for healthy survival.

The hunger of the Chinese for live seafood knows no bounds. As are result this hunger, millions of sea creatures are slaughtered everyday to satisfy their hunger. Of course, this also applies to land animals as the Chinese eat everything with their backs facing the sky. There are some well-known inhumane ways to slaughter and prepare seafood, and now they have thought of another inhumane way to sell them to consumers. It is appalling indeed that they have such scant regard for the welfare of animals.

But of course, nobody will think of protecting crabs or other sea creatures from cruelty in China, since everyone thinks of them as "food" like chickens and pigs. Businesses that are built up from taking lives and being cruel to animals can never prosper, for the evil karma accumulated will have serious consequences for all those in the business. Even if we cannot be vegetarians, we should at least not contribute to the demand for live animals, but settle for dead ones.

The craving for fresh and tasty meat is something that leads many to the states of woe. By weakening the demand for live animals, we also reduce the cruelty perpetrated towards countless animals everyday. The world will be a better place if the Chinese can learn to have more respect towards all life.

I think your a bit dramatic. And I would intuit it is south china, maybe include some port cities like Shanghai, which occupies your comments. Yes, chinese think "fresh" is alive; the US says "fresh" is slaughtered, packaged, wrapped, and shipped around the country on display in your market of choice.

How long have you lived in china among them, eating with them? Are you glad you were not born a chinese, with such "cravings"?

Just how do you settle for dead animals? The US style is that corporations are taking over; there are 5 which serve the majority of the beef in the US... We have progressed beyond slaughter houses to corporate food chain manufacture. And if your a vegetarian, the genetically altered crops abound and don't require an FDA notice.

I have been to china 10 times and I have eaten everything imaginable; and every body part imaginable. I would do it the chinese way over the american way anyday: At least the chinese don't waste any part of the animal if your going to eat it. Also don't gorge yourself on meat alone; veggies are a priority instead of 'super sizing' your meal.

Bon appetite.

Edited by dawei