alfa

Totally frustrated

Hello again!

It's been a while since I posted here. I am trying to practice what is commonly called 'objectless' awareness, meaning I simply try to be aware without being aware of any particular object. Thing is, nothing seems to be happening when I do this. There is only boredom, so I feel like giving up.

If something could inspire me - some remarkable experience or something, anything at all - then I could keep going. Else, I find it extremely frustrating to just sit down and do nothing. What I need is results. Has anyone practiced this and how long did it take, and what did you do?

Some advice, especially from those who've gone through this, would be appreciated and might keep me from giving up.

Alfa

Hi Alfa,

Don't give up. It is a worthy endeavor.

Interesting that in the "Love" thread this very subject was spoken to in the two videos.

I don't know how you are practicing this. Do you think you could just let it arrive naturally?

Hi Alfa,

Don't give up. It is a worthy endeavor.

Interesting that in the "Love" thread this very subject was spoken to in the two videos.

I don't know how you are practicing this. Do you think you could just let it arrive naturally?

Thanks for the encouragement, MH. Yes, we're supposed to sit and do nothing else. It is meditation without an object. That way, there is only awareness through and through.

Maybe take a look at karma yoga, such is ultimately non-selfish action in action.

Btw, without Shakti many forms of meditation can easily leave one as you are describing.

Om

I seem to recall reading some story that was posted a long while ago, I guess it's just one of those things that get passed around. Anyway, some guy goes to a zen school, because he wants to do meditation and stuff, and he sits with a teacher, who instructs him. The teacher tells him to sit in stillness, and just be aware without focusing on any one thing.

The guy does this and several minutes go by, and the guy is all like, "nothing happened."

And the teacher goes, "wow, you are great master already."

If you want a practice with "results", you are going to need a practice that is geared towards those "results."

What "results" are you looking for? Magic powers? Trippy visions? Physical immortality? Sudden insight into the nature of the universe?

Hello again!

It's been a while since I posted here. I am trying to practice what is commonly called 'objectless' awareness, meaning I simply try to be aware without being aware of any particular object. Thing is, nothing seems to be happening when I do this. There is only boredom, so I feel like giving up.

If something could inspire me - some remarkable experience or something, anything at all - then I could keep going. Else, I find it extremely frustrating to just sit down and do nothing. What I need is results. Has anyone practiced this and how long did it take, and what did you do?

Some advice, especially from those who've gone through this, would be appreciated and might keep me from giving up.

Alfa

Excuse me for asking you this but

Why are you doing it?

You may want to try single point focus meditation or sensory deprivation meditation if you're less patient for results. How I see it is that sitting with objectiveless awareness is a mental cleansing process. It's a way of reducing and eventually letting go all of the over anxious over stimulating thoughts that are involved with modern living.

You say you get bored...what is boredom? Why do we get uncomfortable when we are not doing? Personally I have found boredom and loneliness my two greatest tools in mental detoxification because through observation I have identified them as the result of returning to our "natural" state. Just like when we detoxify our body we feel physical discomfort, when we detoxify the mind we receive mental discomfort. Boredom and loneliness both fade as does fear, depression and probably most other mental "impurities". The whole concept of "doing" is usually out of fear. We work because we fear not having enough money, we hang around people because we fear loneliness, we eat alot because we fear hunger, etc (of course this is not everyone all of the time, but i have observed it happen in myself and by testimony of others). So there's a "rush" there's impatience because we feel this dire need to "do"(from fear), whereas when the mind relaxes and cleanses it would seem more things change. I can't say what the end result is as i'm not there, nor know anyone there, but I would assume people would only "do" out of love (if fear was eradicated). If one eats it would be a tribute to their body, if one plants a tree it would be in love of nature or life, etc. It would also seem if one were to detoxify their body AND mind together then some VERY interesting "results" may occur. However such results are more of a "letting go". The seeming paradox with these things is that the more you want it the farther you get from it; i think it's because the very idea of "wanting" from a mindstate of fear from the position of "lack" is a mental toxin, and the only way to get the "result" is to let go of all things that don't serve you, including that fearful want. I don't think desire itself is bad, desire seems to be what runs all action, if we were desireless we'd all be dead :P, but desire out of fear seems to be the real issue at hand, can't say for certain.

But anyway, yeah, if you have trouble letting go of things and just "being", if you don't want to suffer through boredom or mental detoxification and want to try a diff way, then perhaps you should try single point focus or sensory deprivation. Yoga may be more of your thing if you like results ;) But good luck with whatever you choose.

-Astral

Edited by Astral_Anima

Hello again!

Alfa

Hi Alfa...

You have been gifted the opportunity to come face to face with boredom. Do you have the tenacity to really go into this boredom that you are experiencing each time you practice, and meet it squarely? You can try to have a conversation with it, and see what sort of feedback it gives you. Its really not that silly. If you do, one day it might dawn upon you that boredom is not the issue - the real issue that you are facing is the fight you have with not wanting to understand what boredom is all about, and because you do not want to understand, boredom will always be a step ahead of you. The same principle can be applied to other areas of our lives where perceived afflictions are felt, be it emotional, physical, or mental. The problem/suffering arises not in the pain of the affliction itself, but the constant, impatient need in us to want to sensate differently, the desire for subsidizing the afflictive states, to turn them into something more tolerable and pleasant when they are not yet ready to diminish (when their energies are not fully spent yet.)

Through deep understanding, achieved when you have the guts to come into full and intimate contact with boredom, your fear of it and the ensuing frustration will gradually subside. Then, whenever it decides to strike, again and again your resolve will simply and effortlessly dissolve the power it has over you, and you will emerge victorious over it - its sting can no longer dislodge you from your lotus seat. Undistracted, you will know exactly when it happens, and also, when it will subside. This is the nature of all experiences - impermanence. Nothing lasts forever, but when we feed these perceived discomforts by giving them attention and energy, thru the usual route of trying to avert them by force, then its like we wittingly enter into play with them, hence they will gladly outstay their welcome. No wonder people get stressed out and frustrated, when all it takes to rise above these negative feelings is to own up to our own dislikes and accept responsibility for whatever occurs, without affirmation, negation, judgement and blame.

What we need to first develop in practice is not all these wonderful sounding methods that lead to all kinds of amazing breakthroughs. Often these are merely wishful designer fantasies aimed at gullible 'spiritual' shoppers. I have a small meditation group that hangs out once a week in practice, and in the room where we sit to do this, there is a print on one wall, and the word on it says, PATIENCE. Have you got this? Look inside yourself, and ask, really dig deeply, and discover for yourself how this humble attribute happens to be the common denominator that separates the sages from the wannabes. With this supreme quality as part of your virtuous spiritual armor, all good things will follow you.

Remember: There is no lasting gratification if things simply fall into your lap with the least amount of practice time. Persevere with what you have been gifted... and your reward might just be around the corner.

Wishing you all the best as you venture forth. :)

Edited by CowTao

Thanks, everyone, especially cowtao and Astral Anima.

What I mean is, When you do something, you normally expect some sign - any sign - that you're progressing. That sign would at least motivate you to keep going. Without any changes at all - you are the same today as you were many months ago when you started practice- you wonder whether meditation has any value at all.

This seems to be my problem - some sign of progress would at least convince me that meditation is worth the effort.

What I mean is, When you do something, you normally expect some sign - any sign - that you're progressing. That sign would at least motivate you to keep going. Without any changes at all - you are the same today as you were many months ago when you started practice- you wonder whether meditation has any value at all.

This seems to be my problem - some sign of progress would at least convince me that meditation is worth the effort.

In mundane pursuits, we set goals, do the right things, and often we can see, feel and measure results rather quickly. This is quite the norm.

In things spiritual, especially in meditation, some of the results you expect to see and and feel are often so subtle that it can be quite intangible, and would only be intuited after spending many months, if not years, practicing the same routine faithfully. If you think about it, you might realize that the mere willingness to persevere with the practice of meditation, even though it initially appears to do nothing for you, is itself the best result, for the very act of conscious meditative absorption is already its fruit.

This is why in some traditions they speak of things like the gateless gate, or the signless sign, or the stateless state. Why are there such metaphors? One of the reasons could be because when you practice meditation long enough, positive changes will slowly permeate your being, and in the process rout out all the old habitual tendencies and replace them with a renewed sense of somehow, everything is just the way it is. This is like realizing you have walked out some kind of door of a room only to step in back into the same room on the other side, only difference is this time the room appears totally vivid and full of all the things that you never noticed before. Some call this presence of being. And meditation does exactly this: it makes you present after a while - whether this is your goal or not is of no importance - it simply happens on its own, without you actually having to do anything consciously. This is wonderful! Getting results without any real effort!

Funnily enough, many of us are dissatisfied with simply letting things be the way they are, and so we start looking for signs, searching for 'highs' that will affirm that we are indeed making progress. If this is how we are, then we become absent, as if we as the self need something external, some 'thing' other than this very self, to affirm our importance. We do not. In truth, we are already so filled with more distractive signs than we can handle, hence one of the fundamental reasons for doing meditation practice is to dissolve whatever signs and false notions (seen as neuroses) that are distracting our natural state, and thence return us to this presence of being. Some call this sort of revelation an awakening.

At times it can be hard, i know... we may start doubting our efforts, things get a bit shaky, especially when friends ask us why we meditate, and then the only truthful answer we can offer them is, "I meditate simply to be present". Sounds ridiculous, but at the end of the day, this is exactly what meditation does. Some people don't see this: they say, "Dont be silly, we are already present - we are here, aren't we?" This is not the real meaning of presence. By being fully present (which is your natural state, btw, and not something which you do to bring about - its more like 'undoing' if you know what i mean) it simply means you become more undistracted by things that happen, and in the face of all that appears, you remain unaffected by any of it, rising above the normal tendency to react to things, you come into a space where you alone decides your direction, which way you want to act so as to achieve the exact outcome that your actions will entail. When you can do this, it means you have become mindfully aware, and are no longer easily duped by the things that happen around you.

Have a listen to this short talk, which may throw up further ideas to enlighten your path:

Its good you can do this kind of meditation, but the body and mind has to go deeper, or more subconcious, and that is like going down levels. The lower one gets, the qi flows stronger less inhibited and you are bound to get more results.

I found a shortcut to training oneself to go into these deeper meditation states by use of "ultra depth relaxation" hypnosis sold at ultradepth dot com. I did this for about a year. The body can learn the states and eventually will able to find the depths without the hypnosis. Now I dont mean brain entrainment or that kind of hypnosis, I mean simple relaxation, after all master Nan hui-jun says that deep meditation is deep relaxation. I think doing this hypnosis, even though maybe some people will have some kind of objections to its purity, is more time efficient than doing meditation without significant relaxation of the mind. This is perhaps your problem.

Alternatively you can try to allow yourself to go into a deeper state when you meditate, and you will know its working because its relatively blissful and people will note how you look really spaced out after you finish.

Another thing is I find that its better to do a meditation that is more taxing to the mind at the beginning, like a visualization, or try to imagine yourself as everything, God, if you will. After some time your mind will tire out and you can go to empty awareness at a deeper level.

Hello again!

Alfa

ok..seems I have to answer my own question.

now what do you expect will happen when

supposed sitting practising objectless awareness you are actually just sitting wanting something to happen?

Edited by rain

In mundane pursuits, we set goals, do the right things, and often we can see, feel and measure results rather quickly. This is quite the norm.

In things spiritual, especially in meditation, some of the results you expect to see and and feel are often so subtle that it can be quite intangible, and would only be intuited after spending many months, if not years, practicing the same routine faithfully. If you think about it, you might realize that the mere willingness to persevere with the practice of meditation, even though it initially appears to do nothing for you, is itself the best result, for the very act of conscious meditative absorption is already its fruit.

This is why in some traditions they speak of things like the gateless gate, or the signless sign, or the stateless state. Why are there such metaphors? One of the reasons could be because when you practice meditation long enough, positive changes will slowly permeate your being, and in the process rout out all the old habitual tendencies and replace them with a renewed sense of somehow, everything is just the way it is. This is like realizing you have walked out some kind of door of a room only to step in back into the same room on the other side, only difference is this time the room appears totally vivid and full of all the things that you never noticed before. Some call this presence of being. And meditation does exactly this: it makes you present after a while - whether this is your goal or not is of no importance - it simply happens on its own, without you actually having to do anything consciously. This is wonderful! Getting results without any real effort!

Funnily enough, many of us are dissatisfied with simply letting things be the way they are, and so we start looking for signs, searching for 'highs' that will affirm that we are indeed making progress. If this is how we are, then we become absent, as if we as the self need something external, some 'thing' other than this very self, to affirm our importance. We do not. In truth, we are already so filled with more distractive signs than we can handle, hence one of the fundamental reasons for doing meditation practice is to dissolve whatever signs and false notions (seen as neuroses) that are distracting our natural state, and thence return us to this presence of being. Some call this sort of revelation an awakening.

At times it can be hard, i know... we may start doubting our efforts, things get a bit shaky, especially when friends ask us why we meditate, and then the only truthful answer we can offer them is, "I meditate simply to be present". Sounds ridiculous, but at the end of the day, this is exactly what meditation does. Some people don't see this: they say, "Dont be silly, we are already present - we are here, aren't we?" This is not the real meaning of presence. By being fully present (which is your natural state, btw, and not something which you do to bring about - its more like 'undoing' if you know what i mean) it simply means you become more undistracted by things that happen, and in the face of all that appears, you remain unaffected by any of it, rising above the normal tendency to react to things, you come into a space where you alone decides your direction, which way you want to act so as to achieve the exact outcome that your actions will entail. When you can do this, it means you have become mindfully aware, and are no longer easily duped by the things that happen around you.

Have a listen to this short talk, which may throw up further ideas to enlighten your path:

Today I was driving and normally I hate the ambient noise of the busy streets, but today I felt with it. I loved hearing cars screech to a halt and the general chaos. I think this is what you mean.

I love when I enter meditation and come away with a new appetite for life, like I've found new eyes. It makes me happy :)

Today I was driving and normally I hate the ambient noise of the busy streets, but today I felt with it. I loved hearing cars screech to a halt and the general chaos. I think this is what you mean.

I love when I enter meditation and come away with a new appetite for life, like I've found new eyes. It makes me happy :)

Well, observation is good! The Observer observing itself observing the observed (sorry, i know its your 'name'... but usually this is what it is, a snappy, usable, mindful process of returning instantly to the present). Effective, profound and highly under-rated in today's world of action, action, action, results, results, and more RESULTS, and then more action, action, action! We often place unrealistic demands on ourselves most of the time, and then wonder why it is so difficult to remain serene and unbothered by the comings and goings of life.

So glad to hear you are making progress! :)

ok..seems I have to answer my own question.

now what do you expect will happen when

supposed sitting practising objectless awareness you are actually just sitting wanting something to happen?

I am not expecting anything specific. I am just expecting ... at least on a subconscious level. We all do; else, practice would have no meaning. There's always motive followed by result. That's how it works.

Edited by alfa

Now, how to carry with you much of that relaxed physiology when exiting your door in the morning? :huh:

:) :) hey there Rainbows! :)

(how are you?)

Curious... hope you dont mind some questions here, RV.

Would a prevalent relaxed state be one in which you are working towards?

If yes, will you be able to explain why this is so? What happens when you want to be in a fully relaxed state but at times find that there are little obstacles that somehow seem to be in the way? Can you then access SM at will and immediately feel you are 'in the zone'? In other words, by directing attention to your less-than-relaxed self, would this very awareness bring about a shift in your being?

Do you think it is possible to maintain a beingness that is neither too stressed or too relaxed? Neither too calm or too excited? Move when moving, and still when stilling? Ok when relaxed, and ok too when relaxation is gone? Something like this way of being - what is your opinion?

Thanks for considering this, and for the reply if you choose to.

(sorry for so many nosey questions!)

All the v best!

Edited by CowTao

I think I found a way to subtly alter the awareness - this was just my idea and for some reason it spoke to me, so I tried it. I covered my bathroom mirror with newspaper for 2 weeks. I tried not to see my own image in anything, even looked away if I saw myself in a passing window. I also stopped looking into the eyes of people I passed on the street - I had come to a realization that there was an element of 'looking for approval' in the eyes of people I would come across, so I stopped doing it.

I don't know how or why, but this seemed to bring me down to a base awareness similar to lots of meditation. I still avoid other people's eyes in casual settings (not when I'm talking to them) so that I won't participate in my own tendency to judge everything and everyone around me. I've been a meditator for 30 years, on and off - and this odd method of cultivating self-awareness seems to have found a base level that is real and is accessible upon demand now that my body knows what it feels like. It's kind of self-encapsulated and warm in there.

Or...it could be just me being a bit whacked out.

I think I found a way to subtly alter the awareness - this was just my idea and for some reason it spoke to me, so I tried it. I covered my bathroom mirror with newspaper for 2 weeks. I tried not to see my own image in anything, even looked away if I saw myself in a passing window. I also stopped looking into the eyes of people I passed on the street - I had come to a realization that there was an element of 'looking for approval' in the eyes of people I would come across, so I stopped doing it.

I don't know how or why, but this seemed to bring me down to a base awareness similar to lots of meditation. I still avoid other people's eyes in casual settings (not when I'm talking to them) so that I won't participate in my own tendency to judge everything and everyone around me. I've been a meditator for 30 years, on and off - and this odd method of cultivating self-awareness seems to have found a base level that is real and is accessible upon demand now that my body knows what it feels like. It's kind of self-encapsulated and warm in there.

Or...it could be just me being a bit whacked out.

Very candid reply. I love it when people are honest on this forum. I think that this would fall into the general category of altering one's outside life to improve one's meditations. I certainly cut out alot, such as unnecessary work and socializing, and avoiding things that personally might disturb. I guess one has to look at ones own weak points and try to work around them too.

I am not expecting anything specific. I am just expecting ... at least on a subconscious level. We all do; else, practice would have no meaning. There's always motive followed by result. That's how it works.

you are just not able to listen. not to yourself nor to me. you just fill up with more and more and more. listen this listen that. chat chat. try psycotherapy.

just like you say you want SOME THING to happen. :)

SOMETHING

SOME

THING to happen.

and you start out with the very intent;

SUPPOSE TO

make it simple

no supposing

WANT NOTHING

Edited by rain

No wonder people get stressed out and frustrated, when all it takes to rise above these negative feelings is to own up to our own dislikes and accept responsibility for whatever occurs, without affirmation, negation, judgement and blame.

Yeah, and all it takes to build an airplane on your own is the patience to learn how to do it, get the money and then do it. People make it so complicated. -_-

Remember: There is no lasting gratification if things simply fall into your lap with the least amount of practice time. Persevere with what you have been gifted... and your reward might just be around the corner.

This almost sounds like horoscope talk. Another of those "It's all so easy" talks, contradicting yourself. Also very vague. Maybe you do what so many other people do: You invest a lot of effort in your path and without being aware of it, are not that relaxed about it as you think, and because of that you solidify the belief that your own experiences are suitable as general guideline for everybody else.

To many of the things you said I, from my own experience, I could add an "...or not".

Maybe that's why some teachers say we should find our own truth ... because there are so damn few people who can actually look beyond their own in order to be able to help others.

I'm not saying I reject everything you said, but I felt like ranting.

I guess what I wanted to convey is that many people can't be helped with the "what", probably because they already know it, but need the "how", and that is probably highly individual.

There seem to be quite a lot of people in the spiritual community who struggle with the same kind of problems and who all are given recommendations that might be too far away from the point where they are now.

It's often like someone is standing up there at a canyon and asks how he can cross the canyon, and the master says: "You have to go to the other side.".

Edited by Hardyg

Again, try to narrow down what it is exactly you are expecting. Then you can do a practice which lends itself toward what your goal is.

Because as it stands, the practice that you are doing (which is great, don't get me wrong) might not be best suited to what it is you really want.

There's a time for some practices, and there's a time for other practices.

Curious... hope you dont mind some questions here, RV.

Would a prevalent relaxed state be one in which you are working towards?

Sometimes yes, most times no.

If yes, will you be able to explain why this is so?

I suppose I assume the relaxed state is the 'better' state. ^_^

What happens when you want to be in a fully relaxed state but at times find that there are little obstacles that somehow seem to be in the way?

I often 'encourage' myself to let go.

Can you then access SM at will and immediately feel you are 'in the zone'?

Although sinking into relaxation often preceeds being in a chi gung state, I do not have to be relaxed to be able to get into 'the flow.' All it seems is take is intent (required) and focus (usually on the lower dan tien, but not required). Once I focus on connecting with my higher level energy, my body is able to rapidly relax and I will know physiologically that I am connecting because I will either feel subtle energy, or my body will vibrate.

In other words, by directing attention to your less-than-relaxed self, would this very awareness bring about a shift in your being?

Yes. Depends how strong my intent is at that moment.

Do you think it is possible to maintain a beingness that is neither too stressed or too relaxed? Neither too calm or too excited? Move when moving, and still when stilling?

Good question. Yes, I am trying. Too relaxed when walking, I have a tendency to trip. :lol:

Ok when relaxed, and ok too when relaxation is gone? Something like this way of being - what is your opinion?

Yes, this would be nice...trying to be OK at all times with whatever state I am in...

All the v best!

Very best to you too! :D:wub:

:) Thank you sincerely, RV...

(I can see why being too relaxed could pose a few potentially painful problems! :o:D )

Another of those "It's all so easy" talks, contradicting yourself. Also very vague. Maybe you do what so many other people do: You invest a lot of effort in your path and without being aware of it, are not that relaxed about it as you think, and because of that you solidify the belief that your own experiences are suitable as general guideline for everybody else.

To many of the things you said I, from my own experience, I could add an "...or not".

Maybe that's why some teachers say we should find our own truth ... because there are so damn few people who can actually look beyond their own in order to be able to help others.

I'm not saying I reject everything you said, but I felt like ranting.

I guess what I wanted to convey is that many people can't be helped with the "what", probably because they already know it, but need the "how", and that is probably highly individual.

There seem to be quite a lot of people in the spiritual community who struggle with the same kind of problems and who all are given recommendations that might be too far away from the point where they are now.

It's often like someone is standing up there at a canyon and asks how he can cross the canyon, and the master says: "You have to go to the other side.".

I think you assume too much at times, but then nothing wrong with this.. after all, it can be quite a task to relate properly over the internet. Rarely encounter this issue with the group i have who meet for meditation practice every week.

Did i mention that it was easy and smooth-sailing? If you had picked that up somewhere in what had been written, i apologize for the slip-up. Thanks for alerting me to be more mindful of what i try to convey to others.

If you believe in the depth of your heart that you ought to find your own truth, so be it. That in itself is the 'how' you yearn to find. Maybe if you cease trying to search for it, you will see it at the tip of your nose. (another vague, horoscopic observation - sorry.) Screw the teachers. After all, they cant walk the path for you. Heck, some of the gurus i have met before even say we fool ourselves by thinking we need to be on one. We create the reality, and zoom! In we go.... Dont like what you see? Create another one. After all, life is but a dreamy sort of existence, but we tend to want to solidify it by chiseling fervently at illusive, phenomenal mirages in the hope that one fine day we get to actualize these apparitions and make them come alive, and our existence from then on will become meaningful and worthwhile.

How to cross to the other side? What other side? What's wrong with this side? Don't like it? Well, too bad. Most times this side is all we have got. Even if there is an 'other' side, and it can be accessed, when you get there, its nothing but yet another 'this side'. This is the thing - most genuine teachers will say to their audience of wide-eyed followers (just go home and leave me alone, i cant give you what you already possess!!) that they are already okay, that where they are now is all they have got, and if they learn to be more accepting and yielding to their present beingness without struggling to imagine that a different state of beingness is better than this one, then what is there to prevent peace, contentment and calm abiding?

I can tell you now (you might find this hard to swallow) that the true purpose of meditation is to simply settle the mind unto its own empty yet brilliantly cognizant state, and rest in this for as long as your mindfulness will carry you. There is nothing to do. Stay in the present. How? Whatever arises, watch it arise, and whatever subsides, watch it subside, that is all. In this way, the mind finds its own level, and when it does, there is little or no potential for conflict.

Conflict-less, everything we subsequently do/be arises not from a source of discord but from a harmonious ground, resulting in much fulfillment. If the mind is essentially not at rest, even if you can access the highest states of being, there will still be dissatisfaction tainting the way you remain, so what is the right thing to do? There is no 'how' - your idea of 'how to' is the very thought that will prevent the settling from happening. If you can see this, you are sorted, but if not, no matter what someone says, you will always be wanting to know 'how'. Here in lies the amusing, almost paradoxical equation.

You want to rant? I say rant away. After a while, the ranting stops (or not).. and then what next?

Edited by CowTao

Did i mention that it was easy and smooth-sailing?

Then you were lucky, having suitable preconditions for it being that way. But don't automatically think that it was because of you. (This is highly philosophical, about whether we can control anything or are defined by everything else.)

This is the thing - most genuine teachers will say to their audience of wide-eyed followers (just go home and leave me alone, i cant give you what you already possess!!) that they are already okay, that where they are now is all they have got, and if they learn to be more accepting and yielding to their present beingness without struggling to imagine that a different state of beingness is better than this one, then what is there to prevent peace, contentment and calm abiding?

There are also other people in this world, and we interact with them, so they contribute to our experiences. And thus there might be very good reasons for not accepting things like they are, especially when exactly this approach made it increasingly difficult to follow it. (a self-defeating process)

Personally, what I would find very interesting and hopefully helpful is an essay about how to resolve a dilemma. (This is probably very philosophical, too.) Along these lines, I would say it shows wisdom to recognize that when someone says he is in a trap, this is automatically true and has to be dealt with as such, in order to change that state.

I mean, just as an extreme example, imagine you were in a situation where your mere presence causes yourself and other people a lot of suffering. Do you think you could follow the advice to be totally accepting about the situation?

Maybe for resolving some situations, all we can do is decide which outer influences we shut out and which we invite. And if there are no influences that are desirable to invite, well too bad.

Edited by Hardyg