Owledge

DMT experiences in relation to third eye status?

I was wondering: DMT (taken in) is reported to be able to do really powerful things, like connecting to beings on another plane of existence. But how strong is the relation to the condition of the third eye? When someone is on a DMT trip and has a very 'well-developed' third eye, can it be at least somewhat generalized how this will be different from someone else taking the same dose who didn't do anything for opening the third eye? Will it be kind of easier for the former, or more rewarding? How strong is the connection between general spiritual progress (meaning for example how much pain there is to get rid of) and the third eye, which is the organ that produces DMT? Do you know enough about reports of DMT experiences for being able to make a judgment here?

Generally speaking, it will not lead to 3rd eye development. I have experienced DMT and 5- MeO DMT many times, and it just reinforces phenomena. It might be useful if consciously utilized as an occasional adjunct to reinforce meditation and practices, but that could backfire on you leading to greater separation. My advice would be to ignore it and do the work, if DMT comes your way, perhaps play with it a little. But if you are looking for a shortcut, it isn't.

I was wondering: DMT (taken in) is reported to be able to do really powerful things, like connecting to beings on another plane of existence. But how strong is the relation to the condition of the third eye? When someone is on a DMT trip and has a very 'well-developed' third eye, can it be at least somewhat generalized how this will be different from someone else taking the same dose who didn't do anything for opening the third eye? Will it be kind of easier for the former, or more rewarding? How strong is the connection between general spiritual progress (meaning for example how much pain there is to get rid of) and the third eye, which is the organ that produces DMT? Do you know enough about reports of DMT experiences for being able to make a judgment here?

Hi Hardyg,

About the pineal gland:

http://www.serendipity.li/mcclay/pineal.html

Lots of experiences here

http://www.serendipity.li/trypt.html

Edited by Ulises

Generally speaking, it will not lead to 3rd eye development. I have experienced DMT and 5- MeO DMT many times, and it just reinforces phenomena. It might be useful if consciously utilized as an occasional adjunct to reinforce meditation and practices, but that could backfire on you leading to greater separation. My advice would be to ignore it and do the work, if DMT comes your way, perhaps play with it a little. But if you are looking for a shortcut, it isn't.

Well said! My experiments with these substances showed the same things, ultimatly leaving me dissapointed. Sure, the trips were cool.. but who wants to visit paradise if you know its counterfeit and you have to leave? i feel sorry for those who have bought into the whole 'shortcut to god' idea. They are only robbing themselves of the true state of being.. but the path is the point in MHO. Now, I'm not concered so much with the results or the 'goal' as I am to being faithful to the work right here, right now. Being able to see the truth is the purpose of the third eye, and the truth is also right here, right now. I imagine practicing loving kindness with my shen vibrating those inhumane frequencies and my vision blurry and the tiniest bit of drool seeping out the corner of my mouth.. and i laugh. and the further on the path i walk, the less attractive those trappings of madness seem.. the realm of maya has all sorts of shiny baubles to keep you tied into the illusion... and a chemical restraint is just one of the easier ones.

i couldn't find the source, but i read once about Leary and his devotees receiving a visiting Zen monk, and they decided it would be a good idea to dose him. So.. they slipped a little lysergic in his morning tea, and hung out with him through the trip. Waiting with baited breath, they were excited to hear what he had to say.

After all, the were convinced they had found the key, the way to god, and all you had to do was put it on the tip of your tongue.. no muss, no fuss! no meditation, no prayer, no mindfullness, no real work at all.

the monk awoke from his nap, and they all excitedly asked him, "Well?! Well?"

He sadly shook his head and said, "That was stupid."

If any my fellow bums recognize that anecdote, could you refresh its source for me? in any rate.. be well and safe and be good to yourself.

I tend to believe that though the brain 'aledgedly' produces Dmt it comes out completely differently when in Visionary multi dimensional experiences.

When I have ingested it or smoked it there are all the tripy shapes/colours and typical hallucination phenomena.

When In deep meditation and 'vision' opens up, or say during my Kundalini awakening when I was chatting to my alien friend, maybe dmt was being released? My pineal gland was flexing and secreting like crazy but who knows?

I tend to think that our brain chemistry is belonging to the - so below - part of 'As above so below' principle, in relation to Consciousness.

If I have 'higher level' experiences, there are probably new brain chemicals that coincide with the experience physiologically.

So to take dmt or something is to copy the 'so below' equation without having the 'as above' present.

I think that is why substances can be useful but can not replace a proper path of practice.

Sometimes the shortest path is the one that looks the longest.

Blessings!

Seth.

Well said! My experiments with these substances showed the same things, ultimatly leaving me dissapointed. Sure, the trips were cool.. but who wants to visit paradise if you know its counterfeit and you have to leave? i feel sorry for those who have bought into the whole 'shortcut to god' idea. They are only robbing themselves of the true state of being.. but the path is the point in MHO. Now, I'm not concered so much with the results or the 'goal' as I am to being faithful to the work right here, right now. Being able to see the truth is the purpose of the third eye, and the truth is also right here, right now. I imagine practicing loving kindness with my shen vibrating those inhumane frequencies and my vision blurry and the tiniest bit of drool seeping out the corner of my mouth.. and i laugh. and the further on the path i walk, the less attractive those trappings of madness seem.. the realm of maya has all sorts of shiny baubles to keep you tied into the illusion... and a chemical restraint is just one of the easier ones.

i couldn't find the source, but i read once about Leary and his devotees receiving a visiting Zen monk, and they decided it would be a good idea to dose him. So.. they slipped a little lysergic in his morning tea, and hung out with him through the trip. Waiting with baited breath, they were excited to hear what he had to say.

After all, the were convinced they had found the key, the way to god, and all you had to do was put it on the tip of your tongue.. no muss, no fuss! no meditation, no prayer, no mindfullness, no real work at all.

the monk awoke from his nap, and they all excitedly asked him, "Well?! Well?"

He sadly shook his head and said, "That was stupid."

If any my fellow bums recognize that anecdote, could you refresh its source for me? in any rate.. be well and safe and be good to yourself.

Sorry but I disagree...

my intention is not to create controversy, just to offer other views, for a more complete picture..

Many living traditions work with entheogens integrated in their spiritual practice.

Here is a "sober assessment of some of the ups and downs of integrating sacred medicines into a life of spiritual practice" from a serious practitioner of Vrajayana AND psychedelics:

http://www.shiftinaction.com/discover/audios/chris_bache/renewing_the_psychedelic_conversation

Here is a extract of the sessions with psychedelics (along a period of twenty years) whose result was one the most important books in the field od spirituality/transpersonal psychology in the last years: "Dark Night, Early Dawn", by Christopher Bache:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3WBPGOGqQIUJ:www.kingsleydennis.com/Christopher%2520M.%2520Bache%2520-%2520Dark%2520Night

I think there is a place for the wise use of entheogens in spiritual practice

More food for thought here:

http://www.maps.org/media/bulletin/special_edition_psychedelics_and_ecology/

http://www.maps.org/media/bulletin/special_edition_psychedelics_and_self_discovery/

http://www.maps.org/media/bulletin/the_chrysalis_stage/

http://www.maps.org/media/bulletin/rites_of_passage_kids_and_psychedelics/

http://www.maps.org/media/bulletin/sex_spirit_psychedelics_2002/

Edited by Ulises

Sometimes the shortest path is the one that looks the longest.

And sometimes it isn't. And not being able to figure out which applies is a real pain.

EDIT: Links, links, links ... People, you're killing me here.

It's not your fault, I should be thankful. It's just that I find less and less drive for reading. Recently a little more, but this is so much stuff.

That's why I'm always very grateful when people can give concise summaries of texts they read.

Maybe you posted the links just in case. But I probably won't find the time to read them, still having more than 30 browser tabs open. :wacko:

Edited by Hardyg

Personally I have done ayahuasca a few times. It is NOT a short cut to enlightenment as people said, BUT it can be used as a powerful tool for healing. You can also utilize ayahuasca while practicing certain yogic techniques like using the Bardo Thodgol.

I basically have used ayahuasca as a way to practice the art of consciously dying. I have used the elixir mainly to learn to navigate the bardo, so upon death I can go straight to the realm of clear light, perform rainbow body transference, or I can have more influence over my next incarnation.

Learning about death and dying it integral to many shamanic practices including Bon shamanism of Tibet and vegetalismos of the Amazon. The death and rebirth process has been a rite of passage is MANY indigenous cultures around the world, and an integral teaching within the vajrayana cannon.

Using the Bardo Thodol during ayahuasca can be usful if you are unable to remain in a state of mindfulness and you begin to fall into the ego game illusions of the mind. When that happens, reading the passages has been very useful in helping me to maintain my position within the realm of clear light. This is why practicing mindfulness is such an essential practice to learning about death, if you get caught up in the illusions you are unable to realize the state of clear light and attain rigpa.

Yes the state is not permanent, but it's not suppose to be, it's a learning tool.

It's not a short cut to enlightenment, it's simply a sadhana I find very useful. Taoists and Tibetans use the dark room to generate the same experience, nobody ever said it was a short cut to buddahood, but it is a useful learning tool none the less.

If you're interested in learning about death and dying but don't have the time or money to go to a dark room? Try to learn everything about ayahuasca including where to purchase high quality ayahuasca and chacruna, get Timothy Leary's book The Psychedelic Experience, and a copy of the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche.

Adding dream yoga to this mix would be a very nice touch to learn more about death. Dream yoga is an absolute phenomenal practice to learn about death and rigpa. The ultimate goal of dream yoga is not all that different from ayahuasca, to transcend the dream state and observe pure conscious awareness.

I suggest before you do something like ayahuasca you learn a thing or two about how to bless and consecrate the tea as well as the room. And also how to setup spiritual wards to prevent any intrusion of any negative spirits, jinn, or ghosts. It is essential to learn some form of psychic self defense before undertaking any kind of shamanic ritual, at lest that's what I recommend.

On a side note....

I have not personally tried this as it is a more advanced technique, but I bet it would be very powerful to use ayahuasca during Chod since it's already a hybrid yogic/shamanic ritual any way. Using ayahuasca can be useful to help lift the veil during the evocation and make it much more "real."

http://www.herbalandwellbeingsanctuary.com/ayahuasca_and_karma_cleansing_retreat.html

Edited by Immortal

The spiralling motion of Daoist practices like Baguazhang, or dances like Sufi swirling will fully open the third eye. They generate a lot of force that moves upwards due to the downward sinking action on the earth-negative pole, which will respond with an equally upward movement and these two forces combined (action-reacton) will release a massive spiralling energy, kind of when you turn on a blender and you have water and solids on the bottom. All the solids will quickly travel upwards. In our case, it will release toxins, blockages, open meridians, cleanse internal organs and work all energetic levels of the human being from the emotional all the way to the karmic and ultimately shen levels. The third eye is naturally opened due to its role of being a gate between this reality and the Yin world (what is not perceived from our Yang sensorial system). The third eye will also help you to scan your body internally and see your entire energetic system as well as view auras and meridians on other humans, animals and plants.

The spiralling motion of Daoist practices like Baguazhang, or dances like Sufi swirling will fully open the third eye. They generate a lot of force that moves upwards due to the downward sinking action on the earth-negative pole, which will respond with an equally upward movement and these two forces combined (action-reacton) will release a massive spiralling energy, kind of when you turn on a blender and you have water and solids on the bottom. All the solids will quickly travel upwards. In our case, it will release toxins, blockages, open meridians, cleanse internal organs and work all energetic levels of the human being from the emotional all the way to the karmic and ultimately shen levels. The third eye is naturally opened due to its role of being a gate between this reality and the Yin world (what is not perceived from our Yang sensorial system). The third eye will also help you to scan your body internally and see your entire energetic system as well as view auras and meridians on other humans, animals and plants.

Durkhrod,

I'd like to open my "third eye" so that I may scan myself internally to assist me in self healing. Are there methods you have used that work well that you can suggest?

EDIT: Lets say I don't always have time for seated meditation, is there something I can do constantly throughout the day to help me do this?

Edited by Mokona

Durkhrod,

I'd like to open my "third eye" so that I may scan myself internally to assist me in self healing. Are there methods you have used that work well that you can suggest?

EDIT: Lets say I don't always have time for seated meditation, is there something I can do constantly throughout the day to help me do this?

Surely there are many methods but the ones I have direct experience with are Bagua, Vipassana and Zhan Zhuang. No idea which was directly responsible for that or maybe a combination of all three.

You can practice Vipassna throughout the day even at work: just focus on everyting you do including thougths that arise on your mind. Just watch them arising, acknowledge their existence and also watch them passing, leaving. Meditation should be a constant activity, 24/7 kind of thing. Maybe taking notes about persistent thoughts or habits would be helpful to break their karmic effect.

You can practice Vipassna throughout the day even at work: just focus on everyting you do including thougths that arise on your mind. Just watch them arising, acknowledge their existence and also watch them passing, leaving. Meditation should be a constant activity, 24/7 kind of thing. Maybe taking notes about persistent thoughts or habits would be helpful to break their karmic effect.

This I'll do, thanks!