Dainin

Subud Latihan and Spontaneous Qigong

I first heard of Subud many years ago, but never really knew anything about it, except that the 60s rock star Jim McGuinn of the Byrds changed his name to Roger after becoming involved in it. Anyhow, I just read the Wikipedia article about it, and their main spiritual practice (called Latihan Kejiwaan) sounds very similar to spontaneous qigong, except using a theistic framework. Plus their notion of "The Opening" sounds like getting qi transmission from a teacher. It originated in Indonesia, so maybe it ties in with Silat-related energetic practices that have been discussed here before. I was wondering if anyone here has ever been involved in this and could share what their experience of it was like...

• Like 2

Hi Dainin!

Subud, Spontaneous Qi Gong, Seiki-Jutsu, Bushman N/om Shaking, Viking Seidr, Shakerism of St. Vincent, Native American "Shaking Tent"...endless living examples of the same human experience: opening to the Life Force/Holy Ghost/N/om/kundalini and being attuned by the Mystery... ; )

I began to experience it when I was adolescent and years later - in a really strong way - through a series of 15/20 Holotropic Breathwork Workshops.

Here is two great interviews with Bradford Keeney - who had his first blissful spontaneous shaking when 17 years old; years later, he dreamt of the Bushmen (and the Bushmen dreamt of him) and was initiated in the Spontaneous Shaking by them. Now he is regarded by the Bushmen as a "Heart of the Spears" (a fully developed shaker/medicine man/shaman):

http://www.podfeed.net/episode/EPISODE+259+-+The+Bushman+Way+of+Tracking+God/2764633

http://arewelistening.net/podcasts/BradfordKeeney_2010_9_28.mp3

...and here a fascinating view - from a transpersonal psychologist with trans/personal experience:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7642/is_200901/ai_n39234948/

warm greetings

Ulises

Edited by Ulises
  • Like 2

I have been holding some Impromptu shaking sessions at my house, and a Subud practitioner has been attending the sessions.

All I can say is the shaking we do is spontaneous not forced, a follow yourself no matter how slow or fast kind of thing.

He finds it very similar to Subud, but a bit more Liberating in one area in that we encourage full vocalisation of anything...

He grew up in a Subud community and has been practising for most of his life.

Big Love :)

Seth

• Like 2

I first heard of Subud many years ago, but never really knew anything about it, except that the 60s rock star Jim McGuinn of the Byrds changed his name to Roger after becoming involved in it.

WTF? :blink:

WTF? :blink:

From Wikipedia article on Roger McGuinn:

"When he originally started with The Byrds, he used the name Jim, which he thought to be too plain. During 1965 McGuinn briefly explored the Subud spiritual association and began to practice the latihan, an exercise in quieting the mind. McGuinn changed his name in 1967 after Subud's founder Bapak told him it would better "vibrate with the universe." Bapak sent Jim the letter "R" and asked him to send back ten names starting with that letter. Owing to a fascination with airplanes, gadgets and science fiction, he sent names like "Rocket", "Retro", "Ramjet", and "Roger", the latter a term used in signalling protocol over two-way radios, military and civil aviation. Roger was the only "real" name in the bunch and Bapak chose it. While using the name Roger professionally from that time on, McGuinn only officially changed his middle name from Joseph to Roger. McGuinn left the Subud religion in 1977, the same year that he met his wife Camilla (they married the next year). Both have become committed Christians since that time."

From Wikipedia article on Roger McGuinn:

" Both have become committed Christians since that time."

LMFAO - they probably started as christians to begin with. WTF. So the main outcome of all this fancy "SUBUD" thing is that he changed his name to Roger ! I just love these stories!!!!. I mean Comedy Central ain't got nothing on TTB. My favorite story is still the one about Jesus - who was according to TTB a taoist and a Ninja!!!

LMFAO - they probably started as christians to begin with. WTF. So the main outcome of all this fancy "SUBUD" thing is that he changed his name to Roger ! I just love these stories!!!!. I mean Comedy Central ain't got nothing on TTB. My favorite story is still the one about Jesus - who was according to TTB a taoist and a Ninja!!!

Are you joking? Jesus fell off a train in Thailand last month and died. Not before stealing the olympic flame and getting arrested by overzealous cops: