Sign in to follow this  
SeriesOfTubes

abdominal breathing question

I was wondering if anyone could explain the significance of differences in abdominal breathing patterns between practices. It's probably been asked before but I tried a search and it looks like a needle in a haystack.

For example with Spring Forest Qi Gong in the level 1 DVD suggests breathing in and pulling the abdomen slightly inward, and letting it go forward with the exhale.

In other traditions such as forms of Yogic pranayama, or lower belly breathing in general means the abdomen expands with the inhale and the navel returns towards the spine with the exhale.

is it a matter of bringing energy in from without vs moving already internal energies around?

I would intuitively think that an abdominal contraction concentrates the energy to a point but am curious as to what the bums know.

I was wondering if anyone could explain the significance of differences in abdominal breathing patterns between practices. It's probably been asked before but I tried a search and it looks like a needle in a haystack.

For example with Spring Forest Qi Gong in the level 1 DVD suggests breathing in and pulling the abdomen slightly inward, and letting it go forward with the exhale.

In other traditions such as forms of Yogic pranayama, or lower belly breathing in general means the abdomen expands with the inhale and the navel returns towards the spine with the exhale.

is it a matter of bringing energy in from without vs moving already internal energies around?

I would intuitively think that an abdominal contraction concentrates the energy to a point but am curious as to what the bums know.

Hey Tubes

As you mentioned there are a variety of breathing methods, and most of them vary depending on what it is you are trying to accomplish. In Dr. Yang's Root of Chinese Qigong book he covers a variety of breathing methods, such as reverse abdominal breathing, and regular abdominal breathing, n such. He categorises regular abdominal breathing as the Buddhist method, and reverse abdominal breathing as the Taoist method. He says that the Buddhist method builds chi slower but is more relaxing, and the Taoist method builds chi faster but is less relaxing. So I suppose based upon that description (which is a rather simple one) you decide what your goals are and chose a method.

Dr. Yang's categories are pretty helpful to get a general overview, but it's a lot more complicated than that.

B.K. Frantzis teaches what he has called "Longevity Breathing", which is a kind of normal/buddhist belly breathing. On the inhale, the front and sides of your belly expand, your lower back expands, as well as your upper back and the side of the ribs. The front of the chest does not expand, and on the exhale, everything returns.

For Frantzis' methods, he does not teach reverse breathing until a mastery over regular breathing is had. There are general time bench marks for how many seconds an inhale/exhale should take before you consider yourself able to capably do it before learning reverse breathing, but in my experience, once you reach a certain point your body starts reverse breathing in some situations on its own. There are times when, during practice, I fully intent to do "regular" breathing, and then suddenly I reverse breathe for a while, then go back to normal.

Dr. Yang does expand on his categories in a few of his books, and lists a few situations in which you might breathe reverse or normal depending on the situation (whether consciously or instinctively), so you might just wait, or maybe think about the type of things you want to do, but again, in my experience, it does happen naturally as a result of your practice.

To get more familiar with Frantzis' method, pick up a copy of "Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body." There's a lot more than just the breathing in there, and it's all highly useful.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

It isn't quite that simple. What Dr. Yang calls "Taoist breathing" isn't just a faster way to develop. It will also cause your qi to move to different parts of your body, and in different ways. The different breathing methods are used for healing/health meditations and qigong, vs. martial meditations and qigongs. Taoist breathing shouldn't be used regularly, especially if you're only working on health.

thanks for the clarifications Zhang and Jvaran. Interesting about energy moving to different parts of the body. I have noticed different sets tones going on with each style that revolve around the spine, only to different points.

Sign in to follow this