Bum Grasshopper

Karma strikes again

Yeesh.

Though I laughed initially, I do feel (mildly) sorry for that woman.. Her whole world has fallen apart... Fired from her job and internationally vilified... The power of youtube to bring people to justice. Yikes.

... Though it is amusing that she has yet to explain her motivation for dropping the cat in the "wheely-bin" in the first place...

Anyway, thanks for the karmic update, Bum... The Universe certainly does operate in strange ways... gotta love it.

balance.

Edited by balance.

Karma? more like Karmera :P

Had there not been a camera to catch her in the act she would have probably just carried on as if nothing had happened, never to be punished for that act of cruelty.

Well, I am glad she was held to task.

(Yes, I almost do feel a bit sorry for her but she did bring it on herself.)

Edited by Marblehead

Duh, that's not Karma, that's simple justice. She got caught. Not even an example of 'what comes around, goes around'. It's just repercussions for her actions. How about some compassion for her sick, fucked up self? Why is everybody so smug about this? Does she have a chance gain forgiveness for this, or should we just throw her in the rubbish bin too? If she's sorry, then forgive her.

"She has yet to explain her motivation"? Are you serious? It was an impulse, it wasn't rational, therefore no motivation.

What about that cat? How many birds has it killed for sport? That's why I hate cats. :angry: Maybe now the cat might have some concern for other animals after it has tasted cruelty. (Not).

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Duh, that's not Karma, that's simple justice. She got caught. Not even an example of 'what comes around, goes around'. It's just repercussions for her actions. How about some compassion for her sick, fucked up self? Why is everybody so smug about this? Does she have a chance gain forgiveness for this, or should we just throw her in the rubbish bin too? If she's sorry, then forgive her.

"She has yet to explain her motivation"? Are you serious? It was an impulse, it wasn't rational, therefore no motivation.

What about that cat? How many birds has it killed for sport? That's why I hate cats. :angry: Maybe now the cat might have some concern for other animals after it has tasted cruelty. (Not).

Isn't Karma inherently justice? Isn't Karma a system in which we enjoy or suffer through the repercussions of our actions? You'll not allow for a microcosm of the macrocosm here?

Irrational actions are unmotivated?

And, although mildly, you may have noted that I did express some concern for the woman in question.

Edited by balance.

Isn't Karma inherently justice? Isn't Karma a system in which we enjoy or suffer through the repercussions of our actions? You'll not allow for a microcosm of the macrocosm here?

Irrational actions are unmotivated?

And, although mildly, you may have noted that I did express some concern for the woman in question.

Well, karma works dispassionately. Can you conceive that the cat, the woman and the bird are linked by karma? Perhaps it's the cat's karma to receive the cruelty it has dealt to other beings? And the woman's to create karma now with the cat? I find the responses of 'aw, poor kitty'/evil woman naive and sentimental. There are many more layers here than that superficial one.

I don't think many people fully understand the concept of karma.

Edited by TheSongsofDistantEarth

Well, karma works dispassionately. Can you conceive that the cat, the woman and the bird are linked by karma? Perhaps it's the cat's karma to receive the cruelty it has dealt to other beings? And the woman's to create karma now with the cat? I find the responses of 'aw, poor kitty'/evil woman naive and sentimental. There are many more layers here than that superficial one.

I don't think many people fully understand the concept of karma.

The concept of karma as we know it is a human concept and may not be what is actually happening.

And then there is free will.

Perhaps they are here to work it out - no fixed way of how it has to go.

The woman does have a choice. She created more karma by her actions.

Had she acted another way she might have ended that particular karma cycle.

Note the perhaps and might as no one really knows.

A cat is a predator. It's their nature to kill birds. Nobody taught it to kill birds, it did not grow up impoverished and misguided, nor did it join a political group that hates birds and just wants to kill them. It is in their nature to kill birds, mice, moles and such. It is the way of the Tao.

Is it man's nature to harm helpless animals on impulse? Is that the way of the Tao?

Reminds me of a parable where a monk was trying to save a scorpion that had fallen in a river and was drowning. Every time he would try to scoop him up, the scorpion would sting him and the monk would drop him, only to scoop him back up and get stung again.

A passerby witnessed this and said

"You fool. Why are you trying to save this scorpion when it continually stings you. Why don't you just let it drown?"

To which the monk replied

"Because it is the scorpions nature to sting. It is my nature to save helpless creatures."

Keep in mind that karma is not merely created by physical actions, but by thoughts and emotions (both conscious and unconscious).

I don't want to sound arrogant, but the desire to see a perpetrator suffer for their actions is itself a bad energy attractor for the thinker. One's only thought and desire in that case should (ideally) be to hope that the perpetrator comes to understand their mistakes and feels remorse.

Edited by Enishi