awake

Going to see the Dalai Lama in 2 days

Nice one! I've seen the Dalai Lama three times. Just show up with a good attitude, relax, and listen. The rest will follow. Have a great time!

Nice one! I've seen the Dalai Lama three times. Just show up with a good attitude, relax, and listen. The rest will follow. Have a great time!

Ask him why he's banned the spiritual practice of Dorje Shugden. I have always been confused as to how a political leader as the Dalai Lama could just ban a spiritual practice because he does not agree with it.

Dorje Shugden practitioners are treated like dogs in dharamsala.

I am not dorje shugden, but I empathize with their prosecution because I know what it feels like.

I don't even care if they are practicing Luciferianism, the Dalai Lama has no right to ban ANY system of spirituality. What if Christians came to dharamsala an said Buddhism was demonic and banned it? How would the Dalai Lama feel?

It just seems contradictory to someone who was persecuted by China because of his religion, now persecutes other religions.

My motto is think for yourself.

Edited by Immortal

Ask him why he's banned the spiritual practice of Dorje Shugden. ......

Hmmm ... without wanting to divert the thread away from a genuine enquiry, people can read for themselves why and, indeed, make their own minds up:

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/dolgyal-shugden

I have nothing further to comment on in relation to this intrusion.

Edited by rex

I am not dorje shugden,

I would hope not. I doubt he's directly interested in posting in the internets anyway though. :lol:

I don't even care if they are practicing Luciferianism, the Dalai Lama has no right to ban ANY system of spirituality. What if Christians came to dharamsala an said Buddhism was demonic and banned it? How would the Dalai Lama feel?

Your analogy is incorrect since Christians have nothing to do with Buddhism while that unfortunate practice is from Tibetan Buddhism itself. He didn't ban any system, just one practice. And I think he didn't "ban" it but asked people who follow him not to do it anymore and that people who still do it shouldn't attend his teachings. And also a lot of people seem to think that Tibetan Buddhism is some kind of a democracy, it isn't. This doesn't mean everyone has to follow what the Dalai Lama says though.

It just seems contradictory to someone who was persecuted by China because of his religion, now persecutes other religions.

I'm not really sure that he was persecuted because of his religion, more likely because of his power over the Tibetan people.

Yes and that is exactly what the Dalai Lama did and consequently asked Tibetan Buddhists not to practice that anymore. Or more like Gelugpas because this "protector" isn't practiced in the other traditions.

• Like 1

Ask him why he's banned the spiritual practice of Dorje Shugden. I have always been confused as to how a political leader as the Dalai Lama could just ban a spiritual practice because he does not agree with it.

Dorje Shugden practitioners are treated like dogs in dharamsala.

I am not dorje shugden, but I empathize with their prosecution because I know what it feels like.

I think he just recommended people didn't practice Shugden as there could be harmful consequences for a person, he didn't ban anything he just spoke out about what he considers potentially harmful practice, its not like he is going to send over the police or anything if you continue, if you like it and it works just continue your practice, what the Dalai Lama says isnt important.

I had the honour to meet the Dalai Lama once, I thought it was going to be quite a formal occasion but he just came up to me and gave me a big whack on the arm :D I wouldn't worry about how you feel even if you feel totally depressed it doesn't matter, if you want to do anything just be mindful.

Guest paul walter

Hi,

I've bought a ticket to see the Dalai Lama when he comes to Toronto this Friday.

I'm posting this to ask if there's any practices I can do beforehand or things I could be doing during to be more receptive of a shift in awareness.

Take some ear plugs in case the Shugden folks/Chinese Embassy rent-a-crowd are within earshot--gets annoying after a while :lol: . Just listen and don't expect anything most white folks seem to (he's a teacher/scholar/practitioner as well as the rest of it so he has some good insights)-learn. Best, Paul

Thank you for the directly helpful replies.

As to those taking offense to the Dalai's right to an opinion, it seems to me as if the link rex posted (http://www.dalailama.com/messages/dolgyal-shugden) sums up his opinion. I am sorry that I have not been able to take any inferred meaning from your posts pertaining in any sort of way to an answer to my question.

I think the views you express are indicative of the answer to this question, but I will ask it for the purpose of your contemplation: Why does it matter what the Dalai says, if it works for you?

In any case, he seems to have already expressed his opinion, and so why, if I had the opportunity to ask him a question, would I insult him and waste my time asking him to talk about something I don't even have any interest in or knowledge of? I understand I made this thread asking for help, so you, I guess, have just as much a right to start talking about what you want from me, but when I saw all the responses on this subject all I really thought was, "Really..?"

It is one practice, one of many, many, many, many more in the world. So if it is so great, what do you need his validation for, and if it brings something to you, why are you dependent on his opinion? It's one man, and one practice. In any case, he's already said what he's thought of it, having practiced it for many years. Even that is just his interpretation based on the way he's practiced.

However, I have not found a "this is an effective way to experience the shared timespace location with a spiritual teacher" guide, and so I asked this question. Also the one that I believe is equally as important of how do I not ruin anything that does happen to me, as I often do and predictably will?

Thank you.

Hey awake, if you like to practice beforehand you can meditate a bit for example. Yust relaxing your mind, nothing to complicated. Even walking slowly in the park in the autumn and listening to some relaxing music would be a good practice on itself.

If you are there with the Dalai Lama ! Smile :)

What can I do, if a shift in awareness happens and the above mind activity begins, to refocus myself on the shift rather than the worry? (the worry is powerful and often overwhelming, and I believe in it too)

If you have such a moment a sudden shift in awareness not especially during your visit but yust at any time yust let it go dont focus on it or the worry, it will go away anyway. You havent ruined anything, in contrary you are one step closer. No worry, no deep sadness not a single regret afterwords, you havent lost anything.

Check this video of Adyashanti he has a clear way of explaining

In any case, he seems to have already expressed his opinion, and so why, if I had the opportunity to ask him a question, would I insult him and waste my time asking him to talk about something I don't even have any interest in or knowledge of? I understand I made this thread asking for help, so you, I guess, have just as much a right to start talking about what you want from me, but when I saw all the responses on this subject all I really thought was, "Really..?"

My apologies for participating.

However, I have not found a "this is an effective way to experience the shared timespace location with a spiritual teacher" guide, and so I asked this question. Also the one that I believe is equally as important of how do I not ruin anything that does happen to me, as I often do and predictably will?

As for your question... I like what Rex said.

Other than that on what to do beforehand perhaps you should try to relax and give up your expectations. When there be like an empty unbroken vase (which basically means to listen attentively without mixing your own ideas into what he says). If you have some sort of experience don't get attached to it.

When I met him I was in the midst of very poor mental health, full of fear, anger and depression but it didn't matter so I wouldn't worry, you can't blow anything. Im not sure what you are expecting to happen though as he is a monk and a down to earth man who laughs a lot, I wouldn't expect fireworks or satori type experiences, rather something more subtle if anything at all.