Sign in to follow this  
simply puzzled

Zhan Zhuang

I've been doing Yang-style Taijiquan for a few years (following a decade or so of karate and a couple years of JKD). Recently, I've become interested in trying Zhan Zhuang. I've been studying under a teacher, but recently I've moved away, and I'm looking for something to push the boundaries of my practice while I am no longer being literally pushed. Does anyone have any advice - good postures to start out with, training schedules, etc? It would be greatly appreciated.

I've been doing Yang-style Taijiquan for a few years (following a decade or so of karate and a couple years of JKD). Recently, I've become interested in trying Zhan Zhuang. I've been studying under a teacher, but recently I've moved away, and I'm looking for something to push the boundaries of my practice while I am no longer being literally pushed. Does anyone have any advice - good postures to start out with, training schedules, etc? It would be greatly appreciated.

Most of the sources I have studied say to start in wuji position with the arms down.

Does anyone have any advice - good postures to start out with, training schedules, etc?

I find that standing is a good morning practice, as I feel powered-up for my day afterward. Important to warm up some before hand: joint rotations, squats. Also self-acupressure.

If your goal is Taijiquan, then horse stance (20'), front stance and back stance (10' each, both sides) postures of the long-form is what you may need. Once your confortable with them, you can try really slow-slow motion within the postures, and so learn to recruit every square inch of your body to move. The more relaxed you are, the easier it will be to feel all your body and the connections within. Also, you need to supplement this workout with some Yang and Wu neigung exercises you like (check Youtube).

Can you describe a little more how to do this; do you use the first two fingers and never the thumb, how much pressure do you apply and for how long?

Don't simply press: massage (use whatever pressure feels good, experiment). Using any fingers. If the acupoint is sore, massage until soreness substantially gone or gone. Massaging briefly (10-15 seconds) can be effective - more importantly is to do it often (most days).

Sign in to follow this