Lomistick

Spinal Pulsing

I just had a very strange and unique experience while meditating...

Can somebody tell me what is happening?

My entire spinal column began vibrating and twitching. I felt pulsations pulsing up and down at different areas of my spine, from the base of my spine to the back of my neck and to the top of my head. It was not really pleasurable, but not discomforting either. If I had to choose one way or the other, I would say that it feels good. It took me by surprise. I wasn't expecting to have that happen at all.

I am really excited about it, but I'm not sure what it was or what is going on. I can still feel it pulsing even now as I am typing this. At it's peak I could feel either the muscles or energy around my spine expanding and contracting all in unison. I'm not sure if it was my muscles or my energy, or something else...

When it first happened it was SOoooo strong. It felt like my heart was beating, only it was everywhere in my torso, like one giant heart beading inside my abdomen and head. Everything was kind of twitching/thumping like a heartbeat. None or very little at all seemed to occur below my waistline.

I could feel that it was amplified when I breathed into my spine or my pernium or my dantien. Breathing into those areas caused the effect to get stronger... It was almost like my body was doing all of this movement on its own.

If this is something bad or unhealthy, it would be good to know. It doesn't feel bad at all though...

Anyone know what this is?

Originally Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

This is another section taken from The Complete Book of Chinese Health and Healing, by Daniel Reid. Hope it helps.

SIGNS AND SENSATIONS

As you enter into the regular practice of sitting meditation, you may begin to experience certain signs and sensations that indicate that you are making progress. These sensations occur only when the body is still, the mind is clear, the emotions are calm, the breath is tuned, and energy is flowing smoothly and strongly through your channels. You should not expect these signs to occur, nor try to force them to come or go; just be aware of them when they happen. Furthermore, not everyone will experience the same combination of signs and sensations. They vary according to each individual, your level of practice, the time of day, prevailing astral conditions, and the surrounding environment. Here are the most common sensations experienced by meditators at various stages of practice:

The Eight Sensations

These are physical feelings caused by the enhances flow of energy through parts of the body normally deprived of sufficient energy, including sensations of warmth, cold, itching, motion, lightness, heaviness, slipperiness, and coarseness. They may be felt in any part of the body, especially the extremities. Make mentally certain that they are not being caused by adverse environmental energies, such as a cold breeze or direct sunlight, or by incorrect posture, such as leaning too far in one direction, or by cramped legs. If this is the case, make the necessary adjustments in your posture and environment, and then continue meditating. If the sensations are caused by internal energy circulation, dont worry about them; just let them run their course.

Rocking and trembling

Already mentioned above, this sensation can take several forms head rocking forwards and back or side to side, torso trembling, limbs shaking, etc. Often it will be experienced as a trembling in the lower abdomen, an indication that the Lower Elixir Field is filling with energy and a sign that energy is ready to enter circulation in the Microcosmic Orbit.

Gurgling abdomen

As energy fills the Lower Elixir Field and circulates in the minor channels of the abdomen, it can cause gas and fluids in the intestines to move, resulting in gurgling sensations in the gut. Often this will be accompanied by sensations of heat in the stomach. As the abdominal channels open up with continued practice, digestion and bowel functions will improve and gurgling sensations will gradually disappear.

Lightness

This feeling usually occurs after you have activated the Microcosmic Orbit. Your entire body feels light and airy, almost as though it were nothing more substantial that a cloud. This is caused by the total elimination of all stress and tensions in the body, mental tranquility, energy flowing freely through the channels, and smooth, finely tuned breathing.

Clear light

If you manage to achieve a deep and stable meditative state of mind, you may suddenly feel as though your body has completely dissolved and your energy is merging with the surrounding environmental energy in a mist of clear light or white cloud. Everything solid dissolves into emptiness. This is a very pleasant state and a good sign of progress, but it you try to cling to it by focusing attention on it, it will promptly disappear and ordinary sensations of physical solidity will return. So if it happens, dont get excited, just remain cool, calm, and clear, and let it be.

Abdominal and kidney heat

When your meditation progresses to a more advanced level, you may experience intense sensations of heat in your lower abdomen, as though it were filled with red-hot coals, and/or hot streaking sensations in your kidneys, as though boiling water were pouring through them. The lower abdomen and the kidneys are the primary seats of primordial energy, and extremely hot sensations here are signs of progress in internal alchemy.

Supernatural powers

These signs occur only at the most advanced stages of practice, when the primordial spirits innate powers are fully awakened and brought under conscious control by the mind. These powers include clairvoyance, whereby the adept can see the future unfold as a natural order of events proceeding from the past through the present into the future, grand visions of the universe, communication with incorporeal spirits, and the ability to read other peoples thoughts by tuning into their brain waves (ESP). These signs are a clear indication that the adept is on the brink of enlightenment and is able to project conscious awareness beyond his or her physical body.

Edited by Blasto

It's probably what I was talking about in another thread called "Kundalini BUrst Orgasm" if you can find it. But I was quickly shot down about the idea.

I think it's related to kundalini.

In fact.. the whole jing>chi> shen transmutation is also kundalini. The dan tien is the base, where the kundalini is said to reside at the bottom of the spine. The "kundalini" energy circuit runs starting from the gonads to the top of the head and I think it also falls down to the heart or solar plexus area.

Edited by Non

I just had a very strange and unique experience while meditating...

Can somebody tell me what is happening?

Anyone know what this is?

Hi Lomistick :)

Sounds like kundalini to me accompanied by kriyas.

If you don't mind me asking, what meditation technique were you performing? Can you describe it or do you have a link that describes the meditation?

Thanks.

:)

TI

Hi Lomistick :)

Sounds like kundalini to me accompanied by kriyas.

If you don't mind me asking, what meditation technique were you performing? Can you describe it or do you have a link that describes the meditation?

Thanks.

:)

TI

Sure... I will send it to you privately...

If more people want to know I will post it up here...

Well, it wouldn't let me message it to you so here it is... If anyone is offended by adult content, don't read this...

I began by lying in bed. I cleared my mind and used my willpower to block out "clutter" (Random thoughts). I tried to stay as present and aware of myself as possible. I paid particular attention to my body. All of my awareness went into my body.

I massaged myself with my hands, mostly on my chest and abdomen.

I focused on breathing into my lower spine, perinium, and dan tien. I didn't focus on just one... I breathed sometimes into my dan tien, sometimes into my perinium, and sometimes into my spine. Whichever I felt like.

I don't want to gross you out or anything, but a good portion of this meditation was sexual. If you are offended by that sort of thing or you don't want to read about it, don't continue.

-----------------

As I was focusing my breath, I started concentrating on sexual thoughts and I began to get aroused. The thing I concentrated on most was putting the awareness in my body as much as possible, and blocking out all of my thoughts that were not there by my intention.

After a bit more self massage, I stood up and sat at my computer. I watched about 3 or 4 minutes of adult films, getting highly aroused (I know it's a crutch and maybe not a good idea, but whatever), all while breathing into my spine and maintaining awareness. After I was fully and completely aroused, I stood back up and laid back down in my bed to try and harness the energy.

Right as I laid down, that's when it happened. My whole body was pounding with energy. It was very very strong, but it slowly died down and I couldn't really bring it back up to the original intensity, but the twitching and pulsing of my spine lasted for hours. So long as I kept my awareness on my spine and breath, it continued. If I stopped being aware and "feeling the energy", the pulsing what grow weaker, or I wouldn't feel it as much. When I breathed and concentrated the feelings intensified.

I believe it was sexual energy that was causing the Kriya to manifest.

I hope that this helps you.

Just so you know, I have been practicing this type of meditation about 3 times a week for about 4 months now, and I am only now having this result. I'm pretty excited about it. On another note, I have been putting my awareness on the energy I feel in the base of my spine as often as I can remember all throughout the day every day for the past 3 weeks or so. I feel that this daily practice has had a huge impact on finally getting a result.

Just so you know, I have been practicing this type of meditation about 3 times a week for about 4 months now, and I am only now having this result. I'm pretty excited about it. On another note, I have been putting my awareness on the energy I feel in the base of my spine as often as I can remember all throughout the day every day for the past 3 weeks or so. I feel that this daily practice has had a huge impact on finally getting a result.

Lomistick, I'm wondering what you feel in the vicinity of the sacrum when you have this sensation. I pretty much sit with motion forward and back, side to side, and around all the time, and a lot of my practice is recognizing how the place of occurrence of consciousness leads the balance of the body to let weight rest on the ligaments that connect the sacrum to the pelvis (sacro-iliac, sacro-spinous, and sacro-tuberous), to satisfy the length of the breath in or out. Weight resting on ligaments creates activity with the cranial-sacral rhythm; key for me is the recognition of stretch as consciousness occurs, and relaxation into the impact/activity and feeling I have. What am I doing?- nothing; what's the point?- a witness of how attachment to the pleasant, aversion from the painful, or ignorance of the neutral feeling can condition the place of occurrence of consciousness frees the place of occurrence of consciousness, and in that freedom is the knowledge, I have done what there was to be done.

More or less. HA HA! :P

Hi lomistick

thank you very much for your reply. Personally I still think it is kundalini. I would recommend checking out the AYP lessons (Advanced Yoga Practices) website and in particular the Spinal Breathing lesson. It will show you how to take the energy up the spinal nerve in a controlled fashion.

Good Luck and thanks again :)

TI

You are very welcome... and thanks to everyone for your kind words.

I have not written it off to be anything besides "energy". It doesn't matter to me whether it is chi, or kundalini, or prana, or whatever name... I am just going with what feels natural.

All I know is that I have been practicing all varying array of techniques ever since I read Mantak Chia's book 5 years ago.

I was ever so frustrated with my practice, as I could feel little to no results for such a long time. However, I continued with my practice and never gave up... This was 5 years coming...

Finally I have had a breakthrough. I was able to repeat this effect the day after and the day after that. Whatever happened, I finally opened up the energy in my body a little bit. It seems to be enough that I can do it again and build on it. I am having other sensations in my body now as well. I can feel the energy expanding a bit inside of me, causing a pleasurable feeling that is "buzzing" into my arms, hands, head and face.

For me, it seems that the key was holding awareness on my lower spine all throughout the day as I went about my life (working and walking around town). I can sense now that the "ming men" is a very powerful place to put your awareness on. That is where most all of my focus goes to.

I am seriously ecstatic with my success, though I know these are just the very beginning stages of these practices, I am thrilled about this and it feels like a massive accomplishment for me, as I never gave up for such a long time...

Now I will be able to experiment further.