Sign in to follow this  
Lozen

deodorant

Okay, since you all are health freaks like me, I was wondering...

For the longest time, I refused to wear real deodorant and instead used all kinds of natural hippie deodorants, you know, Tom's of Maine, deodorant crystals, Nature's Gate, etc. Even used apple cider vinegar for a while.

So some of these work in the winter when I'm not sweating but none will cut it when I'm biking to work in the Arizona sun. I was wondering if anybody else has had this experience and if there's any natural deodorants that actually work?

I will admit that I've been using Degree, and it bothers me because it's an anti-perspirant. I've heard that this means you will stop sweating and your body will fill up with toxins and it's bad news. But then a friend of mine pointed out that you still sweat other places, so it's okay. Hmmm!

biggest problem with aluminium based deodorants is you spray it under your arm and the aluminium (for women) goes straight into the mammary glands....

biggest cause of breast cancer - deodorants!!!

miessence is a company that sells good deodorant, all based on essential oils.

but you can also just straight up essential oils (rose oil, ylang ylang) for the nice smell.

as for the sweat.... let it pour out, the body wants to sweat, so let it!

why try and stop a natural function?

an analogy would be that you don't like the smell of your poo so you take a product to stop going to the toilet..... what would the effect of that be???

as for the sweat.... let it pour out, the body wants to sweat, so let it!

why try and stop a natural function?

Because I live in the desert...

Because I live in the desert...

then sweating is your method of keeping cool.

trying to stop it will likely cause you to overheat somehow (unless you want to take up panting? hahaha).

or use anti-perspirant, it's your choice.... but they are all aluminium based and will go into your mammary glands, so be consciouss of that.

I use the Crystal roll-on deodorant. It's the same stuff as the stone, but the stone is a big hassle. I think it ends up being more expensive, but it lasts so long that I think it's still pretty cheap. I tried to use some other brand once, but it smelled weird and I took it back (I can't really smell this stuff - you probably already know the idea is it doesn't let the bacteria grow so it ends up smelling like nothing). The only thing is you gotta use it every day, and use a lot. If you skip a day then it takes a few days to "catch up". Also, I think it may depend on your chemistry - Mrs Leo tried it swears it smells like "dirty feet" on her.

then sweating is your method of keeping cool.

But then I stink.

It really sucks to work in close quarters with people who stink.

Lozen,

The only deodorant that will work for you comes from Israel. It is called "Lavlin" and is made from natural things.

-Plato

Did you read the warnings re this product.

The no toothpaste guy doesn't use deodorant either.

What you eat is what you smell like.

Tiny Tim almost said that.

You may have noticed smokers have their own particuliar odor

Same for different ethnic groups.

People who eat fast food smell different.

To chinese people americans who eat dairy do not smell pleasant.

Anyway it's important to perspire - do not block the process

biggest problem with aluminium based deodorants is you spray it under your arm and the aluminium (for women) goes straight into the mammary glands....

biggest cause of breast cancer - deodorants!!!

I'd heard this before and thought it had been disproved, but its still up in the air. See here.

Yes, Max uses it also. I've tried everything. Lavlin isn't perfect, but it works the best.

Wow, he's coming to Phoenix, isn't he? Hey Max, wanna hang out so I can see if you smell? ;)

Someone's got a crush on Max! :o

No way, dude, I just wanna see if the deodorant works. Ha ha.

I have a crush on cat, though. lol

Edited by Lozen

But then I stink.

It really sucks to work in close quarters with people who stink.

What you eat is what you smell like.

Tiny Tim almost said that.

You may have noticed smokers have their own particuliar odor

Same for different ethnic groups.

People who eat fast food smell different.

To chinese people americans who eat dairy do not smell pleasant.

this is what i was gonna say but i went to lunch and someone beat me to it.

investigate why it is you stink?

seeing as the quality of the food you eat determine what you smell like (although if you are detoxing from previous poisons then you'll stink from that..... as i am currently).

also if it's just the smell you are worried about, try the essential oils. it's like a natural and beneficial form of cologne.

also the miessence brand, as i said, has a great range of deodorants that are entirely natural (not sure if they are in the US tho).

I'd heard this before and thought it had been disproved, but its still up in the air. See here.

anything from that snopes site i disregard immediately. i take anything from that site very lightly indeed.

anyways regardless of the evidence, it's pretty obvious that conventional deodorants and anti-persperants are synthetic man-made chemicals and as such they are detrimental to our health.

we are a part of nature, anything that harms nature to produce, will harm us in it's use.... the two are inseperable.

aluminium is also a toxic heavy metal to our body, WHATEVER you put on your skin finds it's way into your blood and your body.

a very good rule don't put anything on your skin that you wouldn't put in your mouth

HA! I smell because i live in the desert and walk my bike to work. I like the smell of my sweat but other people don't. I like essential oils, but then you just smell like sweat and too much essential oils.

Anyways, I hear what y'all are saying. I haven't worn real deodorant until yesterday for the past...oh... eight years. But I live in the desert and I'm sick of smelling. I'm tired of going to work with a change of clothes, more deodorant that doesn't work, talc powder and florita water to cover the smell. And it's just sweat, not nasty sweat. I am happy with my diet. The guy who's teaching me wrestling really likes the way I smell. I'm not saying it's bad smelling sweat. But when you live in the frickin' desert, deodorant crystals won't cut it. And having wet blobs on your armpits is hard to cover up, even when you don't smell.

Edited by Lozen

Anyways, I hear what y'all are saying. I haven't worn real deodorant until yesterday for the past...oh... eight years. But I live in the desert and I'm sick of smelling. I'm tired of going to work with a change of clothes, more deodorant that doesn't work, talc powder and florita water to cover the smell. And it's just sweat, not nasty sweat. I am happy with my diet. The guy who's teaching me wrestling really likes the way I smell. I'm not saying it's bad smelling sweat. But when you live in the frickin' desert, deodorant crystals won't cut it. And having wet blobs on your armpits is hard to cover up, even when you don't smell.

i bet you do smell nice.... (no sarcasm intended)

but hey, as you said.... you live in the desert, so i guess you are just gonna have to live with it <_<

p.s. talc powder is really bad stuff too.... leading cause of ovarian cancer :blink:

i bet you do smell nice.... (no sarcasm intended)

but hey, as you said.... you live in the desert, so i guess you are just gonna have to live with it <_<

p.s. talc powder is really bad stuff too.... leading cause of ovarian cancer :blink:

I got the organic talc powder that's not evil.

Where do you GET your health info?

Where do you GET your health info?

huge variety of sources, too many to even begin to compile a list.

how do they make organic talc powder? isn't talc a mineral.... not a plant? how do they farm a mineral organically?

just did a search, found this stuff http://www.organicformulations.com.au/talcum_powder.asp

is that it?

looks like it's "non-talc" powder :P

I knew nothing at all about talc until today as a result of this discussion, however, I think all "talc" is organic in the sense that it is mined out of the earth's crust. Talc can contain crystalline silica which is a known human carcinogen. See the website:

http://www.ima-eu.org/en/talchse.html

I think all "talc" is organic in the sense that it is mined out of the earth's crust.

Wow, way to much information, but hey, that goes with the territory called "life". Organic is one of those words that seems to have way to many definitions, but Princeton says, relating or belonging to the class of chemical compounds having a carbon basis; "hydrocarbons are organic compounds"

Talc is (Mg3H2(SiO3)4)

I see an "H" for hydrogen but no "C" for carbon. Hmmmm. I don't know what the heck talc is. I vote we all stay away from the stuff.

Bruce

Okay, I'm lying, I was using organic talc-free baby powder.

Full Ingredient Listing: Cornflower, Arrowroot, Organic Lavender Essential Oil, White Clay, Organic Lavender Essential Oil, Organic Chamomile Essential Oil and nothing else.

Oh and btw EVERYTHING is a known human carcinogen.

The crystal works for me -- I sweat, but don't smell. I just have to be sure to use it at least every few days, or my sweat will smell.

I used Lavlin around 15 years ago, but it irritated my skin, and the paste was messy.

I wonder if it is something about what you are eating that makes you so...aromatic.

Chris

Sign in to follow this