island

Alchemical book suggestions

Hi

Any suggestions on books concerning Taoist Inner Alchemy and Taoist Magic. I have some Mantak Chia books covering Fusion and Kan and li but would be interested in hearing others opinions? Thanks in advance. island

Hello island,

A couple of challenging (to understand) but great books on Taoist alchemy...

Taoist Yoga by Charles Luk

The Tao of Health, Longevity and Immortality translated by Eva Wong.

I think all aspiring alchemists should have them on their shelves. They are both amazing to page through, even years later (I've owned Taoist Yoga for 11 years, and it's still impenetrable! :lol: ). You can always learn something new from them.

Hopefully someday, someone will come out with a better book on the subject. One that retains the authenticity of the above, but also clarifies everything. Taoist writings are often too poetic and cryptic...maybe sometimes misleading on purpose, or just plain wrong.

P.S. - You probably know that books should just be complementary to actual practices from a teacher, otherwise (unless you have a huge stroke of insight) you won't accomplish much.

Thanks for the informative reply Scotty and i understand that they are to compliment practical teachings and transmissions.

The reason that i asked this question is twofold: I am personally learning the inner teachings with a teacher (Universal Tao) and also studying the subject at University and thus have a book allowance that needs to be utilized.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

Rainbow Vein,

I don't think so. Check out the books, especially "Tao of Health..." one, and see for yourself. They were written in a way to keep outsiders from understanding everything.

Rainbow Vein,

If you actually read the books you'll see what I mean. Ask your teacher about the things you don't understand, and you'll see that he doesn't actually know, despite his attainments. Why? Because many parts were actually written in code, to keep the deeper secrets for those within the lineage.

There's still much to learn, much to compare with your own practice, and much that makes you see how your practice is incomplete.

Really, read the books (especially Eva Wong's) if you're interested in Taoist alchemy, and you can see for yourself.

There's still much to learn, much to compare with your own practice, and much that makes you see how your practice is incomplete.

Really, read the books (especially Eva Wong's) if you're interested in Taoist alchemy, and you can see for yourself.

Scotty,

Could you give an example of the sort of thing you mean.

apepch7,

Sure. Here is an example:

"The waters in the human body are these: the four seas, the five lakes, the nine rivers, and the three islands. These are some of the names that have been given to them: hua-chih (Radiant Pool), yao-chih (Green Pool), feng-chih (Phoenix Pool, t'ien-chih (Celestial Pool), yu-chih (Jade Pool), k'un-chih (Pool of the K'un-lun Mountains)...." (page 65 in Tao of Health, Longevity and Immortality)

Etc.

apepch7,

Sure. Here is an example:

"The waters in the human body are these: the four seas, the five lakes, the nine rivers, and the three islands. These are some of the names that have been given to them: hua-chih (Radiant Pool), yao-chih (Green Pool), feng-chih (Phoenix Pool, t'ien-chih (Celestial Pool), yu-chih (Jade Pool), k'un-chih (Pool of the K'un-lun Mountains)...." (page 65 in Tao of Health, Longevity and Immortality)

Etc.

OK that could be called obscure ... but are you saying a) deliberately codified in poetic imagery, or b ) deliberately wrong in some way - mistakes put in to stop the reader working out the secret?

Not the same thing of course - some things are almost impossible to describe in literal language.

OK that could be called obscure ... but are you saying a) deliberately codified in poetic imagery, or b ) deliberately wrong in some way - mistakes put in to stop the reader working out the secret?

I definitely think both are the case, at times. I think these things could be written about in a very clear way.

My comment wasn't intended to make you think of workshop hoppers. It was intended to make you think that it's wise to learn from multiple sources, to compare and contrast, as you practice the methods of your chosen school for years.

:)

I wonder if a sticky somewhere in here mentions these must-have classics on internal alchemy (in my opinion, to date). I have arranged them in a way that the reader can appreciate and understand them, so that the next book illustrates and fills in the essence of the former.

Tsung Hwa Jou - Tao of Meditation

Yang Jwing-Ming - Small Circulation, Embryonic Breathing, Yijinjing/Xisuijing, [Grand Circulation when it is released]

Wilhelm and Cleary - T'ai I Chin Huo Tsung Chih

Wong - Huimingching, teachings of Chung & Lu, holding yin embracing yang

You could also check out "Opening the Dragon Gate: The making of a modern Taoist wizard" by Chen Kaiguo, Zheng Shunchao, trans. by Thomas Cleary. It provides a non-fiction account of the steps that some the most "select" pupils have gone through.

I do have 'Opening the Dragon Gate' and i've just ordered Scotty's suggested reading, thanks

I should have also mentioned "Vitality, Energy, Spirit" a compilation trans by Thomas Cleary. This book has excerpts from many ancient texts that would have been studied, and some perhaps written, in Wu Dang monasteries. It may also show you some other texts that you will want to read in full if you can find them.

You could also look up Dr. Zhi Gang Sha for your university paper as he seems to be one of the more contemporary Qi Gong icons, and Falun Gong seems to be another modern manifestation of Qi Gong.

I think the main reason, really, that so much of Qi Gong language is coded, and prohibitive to outsiders, was that they don't want rationalist-positivists coming around trying to commoditize or destroy it if they couldn't understand and control it - pretty much the same as with other shamanic traditions. It can't be controlled, so why waste time with people who only want to "possess" it. I don't feel it was some kind of hierarchy trip, just shrewdness by people who understood this overpowering tendency.

Hi

Any suggestions on books concerning Taoist Inner Alchemy and Taoist Magic. I have some Mantak Chia books covering Fusion and Kan and li but would be interested in hearing others opinions? Thanks in advance. island

Hi Island. If you want a book which is practical as well as informative I'd very strongly recommend Eric Yudelove's book on Sexual Yoga. I have read a lot, and spent a lot of money, of books on Taoism and a lot of them are quite fascinating, poetic, scholarly, but in terms of really experiencing some of the Key Taoist practices, Eric Y. has it beautifully put before you. Ken Cohen has some good taoist meditations ( called Qigong Meditations) on tape, also, which are key practices, beautifully presented, which can take you a long long way.

Hi cat. :)

Master Eric Yudelove's dubious behavior on TTB precludes me from seriously considering his works. :wacko:

Hello, :)

I havent seen any dubious behaviour from him, myself. Before this forum was born I read his Tree of Life book and it was very good, so I was working from "Sexual Yoga", which I found brilliant. I dropped him an email, and he answered and we had a fairly long email exchange in which he was unfailingly helpful, charming and friendly.

One of the qualities which strikes me very strongly about Eric Yudelove is his heart quality. I find he has a very full and expressive heart energy well integrated with his intellect.

I know there are a lot of rumours about Eric and I understand he is not averse to some coyote behaviour.

I am always amused by the stories of zen masters hitting their students with sticks when they ask questions instead of practising, and I like the notion of callow students waiting by a tree for a good few years to pass the endurance test before the master unlocks the door.

So I am not concerned by a bit of sound and fury, I dont even think it's a bad thing.

I dont think anyone has ever implied Eric's practises are dubious, btw.

Thanks TB for the great link and thank you Cat for your recommendation. Just one question, is the Eric Yudelove book based on Chia's 'Taoists secrets of love' or does it offer different perspective or added dimension on the subject of 'sexual kungfu'? as i already have that book. :)

Hi Island.

Part 1 = basics.. good clear intro :what is alchemy, the 3 treasures.

Part 2 = the practice: hair breathing, standing chi kung forms, sexual kung fu, the elements,Fusion practice, Rooting, Bone Marrow breathing,4 square breathing, Lying qigong forms.

includes healing sounds, testicle and ovarian breathing, and good sexual kung fu for the mind.

hth!

xxx

Hi cat. smile.gif

Master Eric Yudelove's dubious behavior on TTB precludes me from seriously considering his works. wacko.gif

To all you civil servant Taoists:

I may be dubious but I love it.

Eric Yudelove

Edited by Eric Yudelove

Not the same thing of course - some things are almost impossible to describe in literal language.

Free secret decoder ring included...

Taoist Yoga

Secret Decoder ring

Edited by sifusufi

All the rumors are true and you haven't even heard the really bad stuff. I was even left back at the Taoist Immortality University, they called me to come forth and get some enlightenment and I came 5th.

Lucky for me my wife loves me, but she's even more dubious then me. You shouldn't know from it.

I'm considering changing my name to Jessie James Yudelove.

Thanks be it to Divine Providence that I have a good heart.

Eric Yudelove

Hello, smile.gif

I havent seen any dubious behaviour from him, myself. Before this forum was born I read his Tree of Life book and it was very good, so I was working from "Sexual Yoga", which I found brilliant. I dropped him an email, and he answered and we had a fairly long email exchange in which he was unfailingly helpful, charming and friendly.

One of the qualities which strikes me very strongly about Eric Yudelove is his heart quality. I find he has a very full and expressive heart energy well integrated with his intellect.

I know there are a lot of rumours about Eric and I understand he is not averse to some coyote behaviour.

I am always amused by the stories of zen masters hitting their students with sticks when they ask questions instead of practising, and I like the notion of callow students waiting by a tree for a good few years to pass the endurance test before the master unlocks the door.

So I am not concerned by a bit of sound and fury, I dont even think it's a bad thing.

I dont think anyone has ever implied Eric's practises are dubious, btw.