dwai

The Light on Vedanta

Dear Friends,

I'd like to introduce a new column on my website (http://www.medhajournal.com) by a scholar practitioner Sri TN Sethumadhavan on Vedanta, through the Srimad Bhagavad Gita.

It seems like there are a few on this forum who would be interested...if you are that person, do stop by at this URL to see the first lesson on Vedanta...

http://www.medhajournal.com/vedanta-jyoti----the-light-on-vedanta/1038-introducing-srimad-bhagavad-gita-a-users-manual-for-every-day-living.html

This is going to be an ongoing series published every fortnight. If you have questions or comments, please feel free to post your comments there, so the author can see them and respond.

Best,

Dwai

Dear Friends,

I'd like to introduce a new column on my website (http://www.medhajournal.com) by a scholar practitioner Sri TN Sethumadhavan on Vedanta, through the Srimad Bhagavad Gita.

It seems like there are a few on this forum who would be interested...if you are that person, do stop by at this URL to see the first lesson on Vedanta...

http://www.medhajournal.com/vedanta-jyoti----the-light-on-vedanta/1038-introducing-srimad-bhagavad-gita-a-users-manual-for-every-day-living.html

This is going to be an ongoing series published every fortnight. If you have questions or comments, please feel free to post your comments there, so the author can see them and respond.

Best,

Dwai

Does this group have something to do with "Osho" since there is a quote of his on the first page?

(after which my reading ended). Are you aware of his past "cult" activites in places like Oregon? Although I'm sure you meant well.

Om

Edited by 3bob

Does this group have something to do with "Osho" since there is a quote of his on the first page?

(after which my reading ended). Are you aware of his past "cult" activites in places like Oregon? Although I'm sure you meant well.

Om

This group has nothing to do with Osho. Osho was however a highly accomplished master...so respect must be given where it's due.

Our objective with the Medha Journal is to provide a tradition-based approach to spirituality...meaning the authors and experts working with us are classically trained or have a traditional approach to their subjects (as opposed to the New-Age way)

It is also a fact that they are very well equipped to talk to both Native as well as Western audiences given their backgrounds as scientists, professionals and scholars in the main-stream, while being rooted in tradition.

Best,

Dwai

This group has nothing to do with Osho. Osho was however a highly accomplished master...so respect must be given where it's due.

Our objective with the Medha Journal is to provide a tradition-based approach to spirituality...meaning the authors and experts working with us are classically trained or have a traditional approach to their subjects (as opposed to the New-Age way)

It is also a fact that they are very well equipped to talk to both Native as well as Western audiences given their backgrounds as scientists, professionals and scholars in the main-stream, while being rooted in tradition.

Best,

Dwai

Dwai,

Well ok, you answered one question... but I would never call Osho (aka Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh) and his cult of groupies in Oregon in the 80's as having anything to do with a "highly accomplished master" or as being in any way truly related to dharmic teachings. (although aspects of same were stolen and twisted to further his aims of power, greed, etc.)

"...In 1981, Osho relocated to the United States and his followers established an intentional community, later known as Rajneeshpuram, in the state of Oregon. Within a year the leadership of the commune became embroiled in a conflict with local residents, primarily over land use, which was marked by hostility on both sides. Osho's large collection of Rolls-Royce automobiles was also notorious. The Oregon commune collapsed in 1985 when Osho revealed that the commune leadership had committed a number of serious crimes, including a bioterror attack (food contamination) on the citizens of The Dalles. Osho was arrested shortly afterwards and charged with immigration violations. He was deported from the United States in accordance with a plea bargain.[8][9][10] Twenty-one countries denied him entry, causing Osho to travel the world before returning to Pune, where he died in 1990. His ashram is today known as the Osho International Meditation Resort"

Any "guru" worth two cents is responsible for his chosen group of leadership on site; but of course such a corrupted and fallen one was incapable of any such integrity, or for that matter able to follow or teach of any of the truths of Sanatana Dharma.

Edited by 3bob

...sorry to hammer on that for any that didn't know of it, and or of the name change.

Namaskar

I think Osho was a very charismatic writer and leader of people. But, I agree with you 3bob. His quotes though still sometimes hold truth. As one Guru once said, "A true disciple will learn great things from a false guru."

Dwai,

Well ok, you answered one question... but I would never call Osho (aka Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh) and his cult of groupies in Oregon in the 80's as having anything to do with a "highly accomplished master" or as being in any way truly related to dharmic teachings. (although aspects of same were stolen and twisted to further his aims of power, greed, etc.)

"...In 1981, Osho relocated to the United States and his followers established an intentional community, later known as Rajneeshpuram, in the state of Oregon. Within a year the leadership of the commune became embroiled in a conflict with local residents, primarily over land use, which was marked by hostility on both sides. Osho's large collection of Rolls-Royce automobiles was also notorious. The Oregon commune collapsed in 1985 when Osho revealed that the commune leadership had committed a number of serious crimes, including a bioterror attack (food contamination) on the citizens of The Dalles. Osho was arrested shortly afterwards and charged with immigration violations. He was deported from the United States in accordance with a plea bargain.[8][9][10] Twenty-one countries denied him entry, causing Osho to travel the world before returning to Pune, where he died in 1990. His ashram is today known as the Osho International Meditation Resort"

Any "guru" worth two cents is responsible for his chosen group of leadership on site; but of course such a corrupted and fallen one was incapable of any such integrity, or for that matter able to follow or teach of any of the truths of Sanatana Dharma.

I agree...but his techniques were effective, as was his writing. In any case this thread is not meant to be about Osho but about introducing a discourse on Vedanta. I have no interest in discussing Osho either...

Also, what are you thoughts on the column and the article itself? I get the feeling that you were "offended" by a quote from Osho and didn't really read the whole article.

Best,

Dwai

Edited by dwai

Osho was a very intelligent and perceptive person and in many ways was a master psychologist who I love reading, I'm not sure I would consider him a spiritual master though, as far as I don't see any of his disciples producing much good and I learned his dynamic mediation techniques and didn't find them that benneficial.

I agree...but his techniques were effective, as was his writing. In any case this thread is not meant to be about Osho but about introducing a discourse on Vedanta. I have no interest in discussing Osho either...

Also, what are you thoughts on the column and the article itself? I get the feeling that you were "offended" by a quote from Osho and didn't really read the whole article.

Best, Dwai

Dwai,

Effective at what? We can save that for later...

Anyway, imo great caution is in order when an Order/teacher uses an Osho quote on the header of one of their commentaries. The article said, "Of those who strive to see the truth and reach the goal, only a few succeed. Of those who gain the sight, not even one learns to live by the sight".

Hmm, who is it then that is saying, "not even one learns to live by the sight"? Thus I'm not sure what to think with that kind of dead end?

Om

post-51155-128666476005_thumb.jpg

Edited by 3bob

Who is Sri TNS? Just curious about his background.

He doesn't make any claims of being a "Guru" or a "spiritual master". He is someone who has dedicated his life to researching and exploring the Indic spiritual traditions.

:)

Dwai,

Effective at what? We can save that for later...

Anyway, imo great caution is in order when an Order/teacher uses an Osho quote on the header of one of their commentaries. The article said, "Of those who strive to see the truth and reach the goal, only a few succeed. Of those who gain the sight, not even one learns to live by the sight".

Hmm, who is it then that is saying, "not even one learns to live by the sight"? Thus I'm not sure what to think with that kind of dead end?

Om

post-51155-128666476005_thumb.jpg

Did you even READ what this person has written? Or are you too obsessed with Osho to lose focus on the subject at hand?

tongue.gif

Peace

He doesn't make any claims of being a "Guru" or a "spiritual master". He is someone who has dedicated his life to researching and exploring the Indic spiritual traditions.

:)

Right at the get-go he is making an absolute kind of statement pointing at a type of dead end... doesn't sound like reserach or exploration to me? (thus he is making claims)

Sanatana Dharma doesn't point to a dead end...

Om

Right at the get-go he is making an absolute kind of statement pointing at a type of dead end... doesn't sound like reserach or exploration to me? (thus he is making claims)

Om

Obviously you are not interested...maybe you are an expert on Vedanta. It'd be interesting to know what your credentials for passing these value judgements are...what is your Adhikara?

Om

Any path that posits a definite source of existence, or a realizable Alpha also posits it's Omega. This is not the same as... ah... I won't say it as it's not established.

p.s. as in, it's empty.

Edited by Vajrahridaya

Any path that posits a definite source of existence, or a realizable Alpha also posits it's Omega. This is not the same as... ah... I won't say it as it's not established.

p.s. as in, it's empty.

Ah VJ the temptation... ;):D

Obviously you are not interested...maybe you are an expert on Vedanta. It'd be interesting to know what your credentials for passing these value judgements are...what is your Adhikara?

Dwai,

You have passed along some of your opinions, and myself also; but apparently you are not interested in taking a harder look at the sentence below and who is saying it?

"Of those who strive to see the truth and reach the goal, only a few succeed. Of those who gain the sight, not even one learns to live by the sight".

Qualifications: if you can use it fine, if you can not, fine also, which is how I tend to see various qualifications at various websites on the internet.

FROM KHANDOGYA UPANISHAD, EIGHTH PRAPÂTHAKA.

FIRST KHANDA:

"1. Harih, Om. There is this city of Brahman (the body), and in it the palace, the small lotus (of the heart), and in it that small ether. Now what exists within that small ether, that is to be sought for, that is to be understood.

2. And if they should say to him: 'Now with regard to that city of Brahman, and the palace in it, i. e. the small lotus of the heart, and the small ether within the heart, what is there within it that deserves to be sought for, or that is to be understood?'

3. Then he should say: 'As large as this ether (all space) is, so large is that ether within the heart. Both heaven and earth are contained within it, both fire and air, both sun and moon, both lightning and stars; and whatever there is of him (the Self) here in the world, and whatever is not (i. e. whatever has been or will be), all that is contained within it.'

4. And if they should say to him: 'If everything that exists is contained in that city of Brahman, all beings and all desires (whatever can be imagined or desired), then what is left of it, when old age reaches it and scatters it, or when it falls to pieces?'

5. Then he should say: 'By the old age of the body, that (the ether, or Brahman within it) does not age; by the death of the body, that (the ether, or Brahman within it) is not killed. That (the Brahman) is the true Brahma-city (not the body). In it all desires are contained. It is the Self, free from sin, free from old age, from death and grief, from hunger and thirst, which desires nothing but what it ought to desire, and imagines nothing but what it ought to imagine. Now as here on earth people follow as they are commanded, and depend on the object which they are attached to, be it a country or a piece of land,

6. 'And as here on earth, whatever has been acquired by exertion, perishes, so perishes whatever is acquired for the next world by sacrifices and other good actions performed on earth. Those who depart from hence without having discovered the Self and those true desires, for them there is no freedom in all the worlds. But those who depart from hence, after having discovered the Self and those true desires, for them there is freedom in all the worlds".

Om

Edited by 3bob

Anyway, imo great caution is in order when an Order/teacher uses an Osho quote on the header of one of their commentaries.

Anyway, imo great caution is in order when reading any post where '3Bob' is on the header. :P

Anyway, imo great caution is in order when reading any post where '3Bob' is on the header. :P

hehehe, is that plagiarism ;)B):P

Hate to be a knitpicker, but that is not Khandogya but Chandogya Upanishad.

Very nice...what is your point?

"Q: The text you call the 'Khandogya Upanishad' is actually the 'Chandogya Upanishad'...

A: The spelling of Sanskrit terms reflects the transcription in the original book (in this case the Sacred Books of the East, volume 1 and 15) which I scanned it from. I do not alter the transcription of public domain texts, such as the Sacred Books of the East. Other systems of transcription for Sanskrit are used at this site and elsewhere on the Internet. There is no 'official' system for transliterating Sanskrit; as long as a particular system is applied consistently, no harm is done"

(which is what I also did)

My point or a point, that was an example of what may or may not be useful to someone.

Btw, (and again) what about when the commentator you are quoting said, "not even one can live by the sight"?

Many Sat Guru's or enlightened ones that have come and gone over the ages do live the sight... thus I don't agree with his statement.

Om

"Q: The text you call the 'Khandogya Upanishad' is actually the 'Chandogya Upanishad'...

A: The spelling of Sanskrit terms reflects the transcription in the original book (in this case the Sacred Books of the East, volume 1 and 15) which I scanned it from. I do not alter the transcription of public domain texts, such as the Sacred Books of the East. Other systems of transcription for Sanskrit are used at this site and elsewhere on the Internet. There is no 'official' system for transliterating Sanskrit; as long as a particular system is applied consistently, no harm is done"

(which is what I also did)

There actually is. Khandogya changes the word. The Pronunciation is actually Chaandogya (Ccha like cha-cha-cha). Sanskrit transliteration can be done in a few specific ways, but that should not change the way a word is pronounced.

Rules of transliterating Devanagari script

My point or a point, that was an example of what may or may not be useful to someone.

Btw, (and again) what about when the commentator you are quoting said, "not even one can live by the sight"?

Many Sat Guru's or enlightened ones that have come and gone over the ages do live the sight... thus I don't agree with his statement.

Om

Have you read the complete article? Then perhaps you would not be reacting in such a knee-jerk manner. Reading the complete article will put that quote in context.

Edited by dwai

There actually is. Khandogya changes the word. The Pronunciation is actually Chaandogya (Ccha like cha-cha-cha). Sanskrit transliteration can be done in a few specific ways, but that should not change the way a word is pronounced.

Rules of transliterating Devanagari script

Have you read the complete article? Then perhaps you would not be reacting in such a knee-jerk manner. Reading the complete article will put that quote in context.

You may have to put the transliteration subject into context with the Max Muller translation of the Upanishads which I copied from, and which was groundbreaking in it's day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_M%C3%BCller

You continue to beat around the bush - which is also hard on the knees. Context is important but one should try not to contradict themselves from the get-go imo.

Om

Edited by 3bob

You may have to put the transliteration subject into context with the Max Muller translation of the Upanishads which I copied from, and which was groundbreaking in it's day.

http://en.wikipedia....Max_M%C3%BCller

You continue to beat around the bush - which is also hard on the knees. Context is important but one should try not to contradict themselves from the get-go imo.

Om

I would recommend using a traditional scholar's version of Upanishads...if you want translation, Griffith's translations are decent enough.

If you want commentary, use Sayanacharya's commentaries or Shankaracharya's commentaries. Max Muller is dubious at best.

Dear Friends,

Is the link still active? It's not really my sort of area but anyone who uses an Osho quote is worth checking out :D but I'm having trouble even reaching http://www.medhajournal.com/

(could just be related to local computer issues I am experiencing today)