TheTaoBum

Northern Star Meditation

The North Star is a guide star of the heavens and has been used for centuries by travellers to pinpoint their locations and ensure their route od travel was correct. It has often been called "The King", "The Emperor" , or the "Highest Place" , and it has been given the name "Purple Rose" because of its beautiful purple aura. Further, it is forever hovering over the earth therefore forever dependable. So it is fitting that Taoists have used it for thousands of years in a meditative exercise they use for healing & many other purposes.

The best time to practice this meditation is in the evening when you are able to see the Star clearly. However, it may be performed during the daytime by simply imagining the star above you. Remember to always face North star when you are doing this method. It will then be easier for your body to recieve the energy. coming from this star.

1) Begin by facing the North Star, which may be located by first finding the Big Dipper.

2) Use your imagination and feel the light of the North Star come down on top of your head at a place called ba Hui or "Meeting of all points"

3)Feel the energy from the "Purple Rose" meet your energy at this point and imagine this area of your head produces a Golden Fire. The Meridians of your body will begin to look transparent and golden. Fell the golden light penetrate your entire body right down to your toes.

Its very difficult for begiiners to practice this exercise as it requires great concentration. Once you are able to complete the meditation and feel the golden light enter your body, then you may discover that some places within your body will apear dark or black even, while the rest of the body remains golden colour.

The "Dark Areas" within your body is a Disease. Allow light from the North Star to soak into the dark areas until this part also becomes transparent and golden. Whenever you have disease then use this exercise to literally wash it away. You will also find that it helps to refresh,heal,and most of all strengthen your body.

EDIT/NOTE: The Northern Star is not visible to those who live in the Southern Hemispheres,Only the North.

Edited by TheTaoBum
  • Like 1

All taken from Dr Stephen T chang's book "The Complete System of Self Healing and Internal Exercises".

Amazing book. Has anyone else tried this?

• Like 1

Oh yes. :)

It proved one of the most difficult meditations I've ever attempted. I put it aside for a while and kept working on other things, this one is incredibly advanced, I mean, I'm no novice to meditation and alchemical work but this one is extraordinarily challenging... So, I am approaching it from the periphery... from the Big Dipper that rotates around it, gradually moving in closer and closer to Polaris, star by star... :D

Has anyone got it down pat? Curious!

Oh yes. :)

It proved one of the most difficult meditations I've ever attempted. I put it aside for a while and kept working on other things, this one is incredibly advanced, I mean, I'm no novice to meditation and alchemical work but this one is extraordinarily challenging... So, I am approaching it from the periphery... from the Big Dipper that rotates around it, gradually moving in closer and closer to Polaris, star by star... :D

Has anyone got it down pat? Curious!

It might be a lot easier if you have your third eye open or partially open. The the part " imagine this area of your head produces a Golden Fire" doesn't need "imagine" at all. You can actually "see" the golden light.

The classic candle gazing really really works. Have you done any third eye activation meditation?

It might be a lot easier if you have your third eye open or partially open. The the part " imagine this area of your head produces a Golden Fire" doesn't need "imagine" at all. You can actually "see" the golden light.

The classic candle gazing really really works. Have you done any third eye activation meditation?

Oh yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I believe you. No, I don't do that, it is avoided in my tradition (or at least the part I've been taught so far) except as a brief stop on a "route" leading elsewhere. Any practices that selectively activate the third eye (or rather the celestial eye, which in taoism is actually three spiritual organs with three distinct anatomical loci -- and they don't necessarily get activated all at once) as well as any other Fire practices are contraindicated for my type. (I didn't know it many moons ago, and at that time I did many vision-activating practices, including the candle gazing. Got myself in bad trouble...) So, next time mine opens, it will be hopefully against a backdrop of a better-prepared systemic whole. :)

Why the northern star when there's a perfectly fine sun right there?

Yes, sun bath is easier. Then why star? The following is my understanding.

For me, I need to gaze the star for a long time to get the golden ball. I suspect most of the energy come from myself. The star is just a visual aid to help steady the eye and mind. The ray of the star might help activate the "star" inside your head. So the "star" inside you resonate with the star to shine.

Why run if you have car?

Oh yeah, I hear what you're saying, and I believe you. No, I don't do that, it is avoided in my tradition (or at least the part I've been taught so far) except as a brief stop on a "route" leading elsewhere. Any practices that selectively activate the third eye (or rather the celestial eye, which in taoism is actually three spiritual organs with three distinct anatomical loci -- and they don't necessarily get activated all at once) as well as any other Fire practices are contraindicated for my type. (I didn't know it many moons ago, and at that time I did many vision-activating practices, including the candle gazing. Got myself in bad trouble...) So, next time mine opens, it will be hopefully against a backdrop of a better-prepared systemic whole. :)

I believe you. I got myself into trouble last time as well.

I just focus on my celestial eye recently. Without the eye, I'm blind. A blind man is more likely to get himself into trouble.

A baby opens his eyes before he can stand up. He just watch with his eyes. I think I'll do that this time. I'll just watch at beginning.

Last time, I reacted. I tried to move my "legs" and "arms" which wasn't developed enough to support myself. I think that got me into trouble.

This time, I'll behave like a baby, just watch.

The North Star is used in Taoist meditation, as it is seen as the pivotal point that everything else revolves around; so it is always there even when it can't be seen directly.

As for the Dr Chang's MCO it uses the seven gland system, so the energy starts at the 1st then to the 2nd etc. ending on the 7th but the energy is then seen returning to the abdomen, always ending there. Which keeps the mind in its rightful place. This meditation promotes continual balance in the energy system. So one doen't become dis-illusioned.

Once this is achieved, one can move onto whole body breathing. It's all in his book. I have been practising his system for 7 yrs.and it is very secure, and he doesn't promote over energizing the heart or mind, but to always strive for balance.

I have met him a few times at worksops and he is very real, and no doubt a "Taoist of the Highest Class"

http://www.thegreattao.com/

• Like 1

As for the Dr Chang's MCO it uses the seven gland system, so the energy starts at the 1st then to the 2nd etc. ending on the 7th but the energy is then seen returning to the abdomen, always ending there. Which keeps the mind in its rightful place. This meditation promotes continual balance in the energy system. So one doen't become dis-illusioned.

Once this is achieved, one can move onto whole body breathing. It's all in his book. I have been practising his system for 7 yrs.and it is very secure, and he doesn't promote over energizing the heart or mind, but to always strive for balance.

I have met him a few times at worksops and he is very real, and no doubt a "Taoist of the Highest Class"

http://www.thegreattao.com/

I went by the hexagrams and not by his description, it didnt really seem like the way to practice it. The description emerges from the execution of the hexagrams, it doesnt need to be contrived like he appears to say - then again I just went back and read it, he describes the effects more and the process, not quite so much - I like schematics, that's how you really tell what a circuit is doing. :D I felt similar windings but a little differently than he describes.

In the book Qigong Empowerment, Shou Yu Liang gives a number of exercises that involve absorbing Chi from celestial sources. Have any other forum members tried these exercises?