Neophyte

The Circuit and the Four Gates

Hi Everyone,

1. Why is it important to "form a circuit of eight psychic channels when meditating"?

2. What exactly does it do and what happens if one practices without ever forming this circuit when meditating?

Taoist Yoga, by Luk, says: "The linking of the four limbs shuts the four gates so that the centre can be held on to."

This implies that "forming a circuit to shut the four gates" will help to fix spirit in its original cavity (when one empties their heart of all thoughts and concentrates on original cavity, between and behind the eyes). 3. What other meditations are benefitted by forming the circuit?

4. What is the importance of "shutting the four gates"? Please explain. (I searched TTB archives but found nothing about the four gates).

5. Does sitting in Full Lotus (with the hands positioned so that the negative embraces the positive), form the circuit? (Thus the legs in Full Lotus would mean the positive embraces the negative).

The sitting posture described in Taoist Yoga is thus:

"The left leg should be placed outside and close to the right one; this means the positive embracing the negative. The thumb of the left hand should touch its middle finger and the right hand should be placed under it (palm upward)with its thumb bent over the left palm; this means the negative embracing the positive. This is what the ancients meant by forming a circuit of eight psychic channels."

Thank you for reading and thanks for replying. All responses are appreciated. :)

Neophyte

Edited by Neophyte

Hi Everyone,

1. Why is it important to "form a circuit of eight psychic channels when meditating"?

2. What exactly does it do and what happens if one practices without ever forming this circuit when meditating?

Taoist Yoga, by Luk, says: "The linking of the four limbs shuts the four gates so that the centre can be held on to."

This implies that "forming a circuit to shut the four gates" will help to fix spirit in its original cavity (when one empties their heart of all thoughts and concentrates on original cavity, between and behind the eyes). 3. What other meditations are benefitted by forming the circuit?

4. What is the importance of "shutting the four gates"? Please explain. (I searched TTB archives but found nothing about the four gates).

5. Does sitting in Full Lotus (with the hands positioned so that the negative embraces the positive), form the circuit? (Thus the legs in Full Lotus would mean the positive embraces the negative).

The sitting posture described in Taoist Yoga is thus:

"The left leg should be placed outside and close to the right one; this means the positive embracing the negative. The thumb of the left hand should touch its middle finger and the right hand should be placed under it (palm upward)with its thumb bent over the left palm; this means the negative embracing the positive. This is what the ancients meant by forming a circuit of eight psychic channels."

Thank you for reading and thanks for replying. All responses are appreciated. :)

Neophyte

Drew is the full lotus master and has not been around here for a couple of months.

It makes more sense to meditate in beginner's poses or in a way that is comfortable for you then i becomees easier to sense the reasons for different asanas.

In Kung Fu, we use the term "gates" as a way of thinking about attacking and defending. Your arms are like doors on a hinge swinging to open and close "gates". For example, if I swing my right arm down to block a kick to my groin, I've closed that gate, but I've opened up my upper-right gate. The point is that unless one has four arms, they cannot close all their gates at once. As you defend, you always open up new opportunities for your opponent to strike.

I'm not sure if this is helpful at all, but it's all I have to offer.