Sloppy Zhang

Five Centers Facing Heaven Qigong

Dr. Baolin Wu mentions the "five centers" meditation/qigong a couple times in his book "Qigong for Total Wellness". It's also talked about a bit here: here.

Anybody know it/what it entails?

There's a little more info in his Lighting the Eye of the Dragon (not sure if the title is correct) book on feng shui. It's something to learn in person with him, I think.

There's a little more info in his Lighting the Eye of the Dragon (not sure if the title is correct) book on feng shui.

What kind of info?

It's something to learn in person with him, I think.

Isn't everything? :P

Well from memory, there are visualizations of tibetan letters in different areas of the body. That book is really good, too...I had to purchase a used copy. No, it doesn't contain the whole form.

My guess is, sitting in full lotus with hands on the knees, palms up, so the soles of the feet, the palms, and the top of the head/crown absorb the heavenly energy. I think Master Chunyi Lin teaches this also.

Nope, but if I were to practice qigong it would be that.

Can you tell me why?

If it is this powerful, I reckon one would need to receive qi projection from the master.

I don't believe in that :P

If the energy exists and is compatible with a human through the correct practice, then by virtue of the fact that I am human and doing the correct practice, it should work without some intermediary teacher. If you want to play semantics, then the teacher is my experience, the universe, or some other clever assortment of words and connotations.

All I need, then, is the practice.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

Then you can't benefit from something you don't believe in. ;) Fortunately, for me, I continue to experience the rapid, successive progress from Ya Mu's "transmission" + near daily practice. :)

Cool. But I'd rather not turn this thread into a discussion on transmissions. It's been done before.

What are you practicing these days?

Same old stuff.

Got Dr. Baolin Wu's book a little while ago. Good stuff. But the weather has gotten colder recently. I'm not one for cool weather. I'm looking for a practice that's a bit more "yin" in nature, 'cause I don't feel like trying to persist in a warm weather practice when the weather isn't warm :P

Five centers facing heaven is something I've come across from time to time, thought I'd try and give it a look, and hopefully it'll be what I need ^_^

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

You don't think, huh? :huh:

Actually, I'm quite sure that it's not part of these methods. Sorry for being unclear. :huh:

Yin meaning practices that incorporate more stillness? I think I am unclear.

I dunno either :P

Just a feeling I got!

Dr. Baolin Wu mentions about how solar qigong works with energy from the sun. He says that the five centers works with the moon. I'm feeling the need for a more yin related practice, and though I'd ask about it! :)

Wait, so the 9 Palaces qigong requires practice out in the sun?

If I recall correctly, he says best results are outside and yes, in the sun, because the practice is most effective when working with solar energy.

But I'm feeling a need for some of that moon energy right now ;)

My guess is, sitting in full lotus with hands on the knees, palms up, so the soles of the feet, the palms, and the top of the head/crown absorb the heavenly energy. I think Master Chunyi Lin teaches this also.

Yes, I did see this post! :)

And I have seen several writings which describe something like this. But I think that if there's a qigong set that Dr. Baolin Wu teaches associated with it, it might have some movements or some other component besides just this (not to say that this alone is anything to scoff at!)

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

If I recall correctly, he says best results are outside and yes, in the sun, because the practice is most effective when working with solar energy.

Ah thanks a lot. You saved me some money. :D

Still a good book :)

I don't doubt that but since I'm not exactly overflowing with money I'd rather put it into things I might find more useful. :)

I don't doubt that but since I'm not exactly overflowing with money I'd rather put it into things I might find more useful. :)

And I suppose what's more useful depends on the person :)

Hope you get something nice.

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

And I suppose what's more useful depends on the person :)

Hope you get something nice.

can someone here at the taobums please explain the benefits of Five Centers Facing Heaven Qigong and if it is a great way to meditate for long periods of time