Sign in to follow this  
al.

The Four Immeasurable Minds & the Environment

After reading some of the comments on this forum recently and also starting to work with prayer in my qigong practice, some thoughts have occurred in me that you might like to reflect upon or help out with.

In the Buddhist tradition there is the practice of the Four Immeasurable Minds or the Four Great Abidings- cultivating the qualities of Love, Compassion, Joy, and Equanimity in the mind. This has a resonance with the qigong practices of Inner Smile and Secret Smile.

Usually one goes about practicing these by activating these qualities in oneself, keeping them in mind, and emanating them outwards. Although it may seem like only a subtle difference, if one practices by not self-generating the qualities but rather assuming they're inherent in all the environmental space around us, by tapping into these emanations, the feel of the practice is quite different. There is less of an imposition of oneself on the space around you and more of an opening up and outwards, like a mutual resonance.

Do you think there is much difference between the two approaches? How about in terms of creating a healing space?

The idea of aligning one's own will with the "heavenly will" seems to be at the crux of the matter... what do you think?

a

Usually one goes about practicing these by activating these qualities in oneself, keeping them in mind, and emanating them outwards. Although it may seem like only a subtle difference, if one practices by not self-generating the qualities but rather assuming they're inherent in all the environmental space around us, by tapping into these emanations, the feel of the practice is quite different. There is less of an imposition of oneself on the space around you and more of an opening up and outwards, like a mutual resonance.

"Do you think there is much difference between the two approaches? How about in terms of creating a healing space?

The idea of aligning one's own will with the "heavenly will"

May I do not much know about Qigong, practicing as much as you do. But I would like to say some my idea.

"NO Two" (As I know this is greatest buddhism spiritual awakening)

If you are practicing by the way of "self-generating the qualities" and it's successful, then you are already the one emanate it to the environmental space around You.

So "self-generating the qualities" is becoming the mutual emanation at the same time.

We often can see the people who living in extreme poor enviroment in the trashes...but they also smile, laugh and love as the same with the people living in good places.

It means no matter how much positive energy is in the place where you are, if you don't accept it , it will be useless.

Also no matter how much you practice all the qualities, if you are not emanating them to outside, it will be useless as well.

Emanating should be kind of "Practicing" them in real life to the people around you.

Because the enlightened teachers empasize;

Knowledge, knowing can not be the "Wisdom" if there is no conducting what you know in real life.

(Knowledge can be the one dead, but the widsom is the one alive)

Therefore, "mutual resonance" done by practicing them for people means making "Self" alive.

we should have the eyes and open heart and attitude can look around and care and most of all should not be trapped into you by yourself.

That was why the great monk, (Korea, 617~686) turned away his heading to the people from his way of travle for solitary practicing and study after awakening.

We are all lifetime practioners.

Practioner should not be isolated.

That's all what I understand "You and I" till now, and my opinion for your idea.blink.gifrolleyes.gif

Edited by noelle

Sign in to follow this