Dharmandy

qigong styles

Dear all,

as a newcomer to qigong I have to say that I'm somewhat overloaded with information, due to all the different styles and teachers.

For now I'm sticking to BK Frantiz's Openig the Energy Gates, but I have heard that it isnt as quick and powerful as some other styles. So I'm researching a bit about other styles too.

Could you please briefly describe the main different styles, and how to "categorize" them?

It seems that different styles are good, or better, for different things: be it health, internal power or awakening. How can you tell the difference?

Thank you very much in advanced!

Andy

Dear all,

as a newcomer to qigong I have to say that I'm somewhat overloaded with information, due to all the different styles and teachers.

For now I'm sticking to BK Frantiz's Openig the Energy Gates, but I have heard that it isnt as quick and powerful as some other styles. So I'm researching a bit about other styles too.

Could you please briefly describe the main different styles, and how to "categorize" them?

It seems that different styles are good, or better, for different things: be it health, internal power or awakening. How can you tell the difference?

Thank you very much in advanced!

Andy

Yes, well considering that there are so many styles of Qigong it might be easier to know some recomendations based upon what your goal is??

Yes, well considering that there are so many styles of Qigong it might be easier to know some recomendations based upon what your goal is??

Hi dmattwads, I would like to know if there is some system that includes some sort of insight practice, a more complete system as a substitute for vipassana.

Or something that goes well with vipassana. Although I don't know exactly what that means. I guess something that helps keep my body in balance, healthy and that provides me with energy.

But I'm also interested in general about what qigong in general has to 'offer'.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi dmattwads, I would like to know if there is some system that includes some sort of insight practice, a more complete system as a substitute for vipassana.

Or something that goes well with vipassana. Although I don't know exactly what that means. I guess something that helps keep my body in balance, healthy and that provides me with energy.

Thanks,

Andy

After learning vipassana and a few different Qigong systems all I do now for practice is the Water Method taught by B K Frantzis. It is a meditation method more than traditional movement type Qigong and is not a quick method but it goes deeper than anything else I have tried. It works for me better than Vipassana because it is more grounding and works at clearing the body so it is good for healing.

Avoid anything which describes itself as quick and powerful :).

Why? Any decent Qigong is quick and powerful. Of course, it's all relative.

Edited by King Kabalabhati

Why? Any decent Qigong is quick and powerful. Of course, it's all relative.

Well I wasn't being all that serious ... but there is a serious point. When I did Aikido they told a story where a student wants to learn a technique. He asks the teacher how long it will take to really master it and the teacher says 'Oh about 20 years to get it right.' The pupil being ambitious says 'But if I practice harder, more hours everyday, if I really, really try ... how long then?'. 'In that case,' the teacher answered,' it will take at least 40 years.'

Also if quick = easy and powerful= blows your brains out, then that's no good either.

I'm not suggesting being lazy BTW but just wary of the marketing of a particular method.

caro gatto bianco,

let's talk in 100 more days... ;)

Look forward to that!

I'm in favor of 'quick' = 'alive' by the way :)

Well I wasn't being all that serious ... but there is a serious point. When I did Aikido they told a story where a student wants to learn a technique. He asks the teacher how long it will take to really master it and the teacher says 'Oh about 20 years to get it right.' The pupil being ambitious says 'But if I practice harder, more hours everyday, if I really, really try ... how long then?'. 'In that case,' the teacher answered,' it will take at least 40 years.'

Hahah Sounds like a Great Teacher.

Thanks,

Andy

Well from a Qigong approach, when I want to do insight type stuff I focus on my upper dan tien and breathe. Certainly this is not the only approach, but I seem to get results from it. Of course if you choose to follow this method just don't leave too much chi in your head when you are finished, always bring the excess down to your lower dan tien at the end.

Avoid anything which describes itself as quick and powerful :).

Agreed about the quick - there are no short cuts.

However, there is nothing wrong with a system being powerful. It either is or it isn't.

Mostly it is a matter of efficiency and there certainly is a huge difference in qigong systems in that regard.

OP,

It wasn't that long ago that there were only 7 publicly taught forms of Qigong. Then, all of a sudden (perhaps 40 year period?) there are no telling how many forms. Now, how did that happen? Buyer Beware. Do your research.

"Buyer Beware"

So true yet, how can I put it. "Distasteful"?

As usual I agree that teachers' time should be properly recompensed. However, I'm struggling with all kinds of stuff related to this.

Ya Mu, I know this question comes up periodically, but what's your take on remuneration?

"Buyer Beware"

So true yet, how can I put it. "Distasteful"?

As usual I agree that teachers' time should be properly recompensed. However, I'm struggling with all kinds of stuff related to this.

Ya Mu, I know this question comes up periodically, but what's your take on remuneration?

I was referring to "buyer beware" in terms of qigong, as represented today, as a whole. There is quite a bit of nonsense out there. There is also some good stuff out there. Hence the suggestion to do the research.

Remuneration? I don't see it as an issue. Yes, I attempt to make a living teaching qigong - but it has never really worked (make a living), so I have to supplement my school with funds from my clinic where I work very hard. All this just for the "privilege" of teaching authentic qigong/neigong. I do, however, have a problem with the exorbitant fees some teachers charge and refuse to walk that path. So my qigong/medical qigong/neigong will always be accessible until I get tired of teaching - then I will go and hide and let my students take over.

I was referring to "buyer beware" in terms of qigong, as represented today, as a whole. There is quite a bit of nonsense out there. There is also some good stuff out there. Hence the suggestion to do the research.

Remuneration? I don't see it as an issue. Yes, I attempt to make a living teaching qigong - but it has never really worked (make a living), so I have to supplement my school with funds from my clinic where I work very hard. All this just for the "privilege" of teaching authentic qigong/neigong. I do, however, have a problem with the exorbitant fees some teachers charge and refuse to walk that path. So my qigong/medical qigong/neigong will always be accessible until I get tired of teaching - then I will go and hide and let my students take over.

I suddenly find myself wanting to buy your book...

John

Agreed about the quick - there are no short cuts.

However, there is nothing wrong with a system being powerful. It either is or it isn't.

Mostly it is a matter of efficiency and there certainly is a huge difference in qigong systems in that regard.

OP,

It wasn't that long ago that there were only 7 publicly taught forms of Qigong. Then, all of a sudden (perhaps 40 year period?) there are no telling how many forms. Now, how did that happen? Buyer Beware. Do your research.

There's a nuance between being powerful and describing your self/system as powerful for marketing purposes (but I take your point).

"Then, all of a sudden (perhaps 40 year period?)"

This I like! sudden=40years ... a good perspective. In the old days people would train for a lifetime giving up everything (including family fortunes) for teachings - nowadays people want instant results for a cheap cut down price.

There's a nuance between being powerful and describing your self/system as powerful for marketing purposes (but I take your point).

"Then, all of a sudden (perhaps 40 year period?)"

This I like! sudden=40years ... a good perspective. In the old days people would train for a lifetime giving up everything (including family fortunes) for teachings - nowadays people want instant results for a cheap cut down price.

I agree there is a nuance... However, if the system is described as such because it simply IS then there should be no problem. If it is described as such, used for marketing, but ISN'T then that is a problem. I describe Stillness-Movement as a powerful system because it IS. If it was just general qigong I would describe it as simply for health. People need to know what they are getting into.

But we certainly are we in agreement about the "instantaneous" mindset and the "wanting something for nothing" mindset.

I agree there is a nuance... However, if the system is described as such because it simply IS then there should be no problem. If it is described as such, used for marketing, but ISN'T then that is a problem. I describe Stillness-Movement as a powerful system because it IS. If it was just general qigong I would describe it as simply for health. People need to know what they are getting into.

But we certainly are we in agreement about the "instantaneous" mindset and the "wanting something for nothing" mindset.

Would you describe Gift of the Tao as a powerful system or as one for general health?

Would you describe Gift of the Tao as a powerful system or as one for general health?

I would describe something like the 8 Pieces as for general health. Gift of the Tao IS a powerful energetic system.

I would describe something like the 8 Pieces as for general health. Gift of the Tao IS a powerful energetic system.

I was reading about it, do you need to go to a seminar to know it or can you learn it from a dvd?

I was reading on amazon, you needed to receive a transmission for it to be really effective.

John

Yes I said I took your point.

I was reading about it, do you need to go to a seminar to know it or can you learn it from a dvd?

I was reading on amazon, you needed to receive a transmission for it to be really effective.

John

Hi John,

The Gift of the Tao can be learned from the DVD. If you want to take it further and immerse yourself in the energetics then come to a workshop and learn Stillness-Movement neigong and receive corrections on optimizing the Gift of the Tao.

Thanks,

Andy

One option to investigate would be Spontaneous Adjustment Qigong as taught by Jenny Lamb:

easterninternalarts.com

Her website has some good information about the practice under the Q&A and self healing sections. Sifu Jenny teaches a lot about the importance of insight and awareness training along with your qigong.

It's been my experience that as you grow in energy you will naturaly become more insightful. Meditation is a simple exercise for developing insight.

According to my personal experience there are three major styles:

1. Static. For example: Zhan Zhuang.

2. Dynamic. For example: Taijiquan.

3. Combination. For example: Buddhist Vipassana Thai school (Satipatthana Vipassana Kammatthana).

Thanks for the answers.

One option to investigate would be Spontaneous Adjustment Qigong as taught by Jenny Lamb:

easterninternalarts.com

Her website has some good information about the practice under the Q&A and self healing sections. Sifu Jenny teaches a lot about the importance of insight and awareness training along with your qigong.

onelove, I've heard of Jenny Lamb before, apparently she is writing a book. Really looking forward to that, because the closest seminars to me are in norway, and they are 240 pounds, which I think is quite bloody expensive.

I have had a wee read at BK Frantzis' water method books and for now they seem to have a few things quite close to vipassana.

So far in my research, BK Frantzis stuff seems the only "complete" system, i.e. energetic work, health and fundamental insight altogether through different techniques but under the same roof.

Any thoughts on this are welcome of course.

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by Dharmandy