hittstick

Lao Tzu quotation

I was just curious on what some of our more experienced members felt about the quote, "Those who know do not speak, Those who speak do not know" Thanks a bunch!

The Tao speaks in silence, yet says infinitely more than the accumulated history of all language. By living in silent-stillness, the sage lives with the Tao, becomes the Tao, and all the great mysteries are unraveled... and the great paradox turns unto One.

non-dual; before it was something, it was nothing, but nothing is something.

The Tao speaks in silence, yet says infinitely more than the accumulated history of all language. By living in silent-stillness, the sage lives with the Tao, becomes the Tao, and all the great mysteries are unraveled... and the great paradox turns unto One.

non-dual; before it was something, it was nothing, but nothing is something.

Do you feel this to be your own personal opinion of the quote?

I was just curious on what some of our more experienced members felt about the quote, "Those who know do not speak, Those who speak do not know" Thanks a bunch!

Tempting not to write a reply and prove my vast knowledge then I was going to write stay away from braggards and slick salesman, but you know what? The best teacher will not necessarily fit your stereotype. Some will talk a lot, some won't, beware litmus tests.

Michael

I think the quote is directed toward those who wish to define Tao (the noun), not to life in general. The point being that we cannot talk about something which we cannot define. That is why it is impossible for anyone to define what Tao (the noun) is. Tao (the Way) can and should be spoken of. And of course, Te (virtue) should be spoken of.

Basically, we are wasting our time when we talk about Tao (the noun) because anything we state will likely change because of the dynamics of Tao (the noun).

But the Way can be defined. So too Te.

Peace & Love!

I felt like smiling, finding a suitable picture,

The+Sage.jpg

and pasting the text I found under it

A wise man knows himself to be

more precious than fame,

and so, obscure, remains.

The Taoist sage consists of paradoxes that would mortify most people, but do not seem to bother him at all:

The sage

- is detached, yet compassionate;

- enjoys life, yet does not cling to it;

- is a perfectionist, yet indifferent to success or failure;

- is a man of honor, yet avoids reaping honor;

- ignores ethics and morals, but lives a life of the highest moral order;

- does not strive, yet achieves;

- knows the answers, but prefers to remain silent;

- has the innocence of a child, but incredible inner strength.

These paradoxes are in harmony in the sage, the same way nature itself seems to be harmonious blend of paradoxes. This makes it difficult to describe the sage in conventional terms and categories. In fact, in most societies, the sage's qualities would be seen as negative, even harmful.

Jos Slabbert

"I was just curious on what some of our more experienced members felt about the quote, "Those who know do not speak, Those who speak do not know" Thanks a bunch!"

Greetings..

It seems to be a bit of a conundrum or 'Koan'.. how can it be taught without speacking of it?.. but, as i have been fortunate to learn, some of the most natural 'Taoists', have no idea that's what they are, and.. some of the most 'learned Taoists', are not.. Do not value the teacher's words more that the deeds..

Be well..

Let's apply formal logic:

Thesis: Those who speak do not know. Laozi spoke. Therefore, "those who speak" includes Laozi.

Antithesis: Those who know do not speak. Laozi spoke. Therefore, "those who know" excludes Laozi.

Synthesis: Laozi doesn't know.

This practice of sending one's mind on a merry-go-round of a paradox was popular among Greek sophists. Compare:

"A man from Crete asserts that all men from Crete are liars. Is he telling the truth?"

The purpose is akin to a koan's too: discover the limitations of linear logic by applying it to nonlinear statements.

So if you analyze the above Laozi line any further, beyond discovering that all Laozi said there amounts to "I don't know what I'm talking about," what is it you're doing?.. Are you using a 2D drawing of a screwdriver on a piece of paper to tighten a 3D screw that has come loose on your chair?.. Careful, you're gonna fall off that chair... Are you watering a rose bush in your back yard with a picture of a garden hose which you wave around it? Poor rose bush... it's going to die. Are you pouring gas into the tank of your car from a drawing of a canister of gas on a piece of paper?.. You can only drive this car on the street in your mind.

Such is philosophy, my friends.:lol:

Also sprach Taomeow.:D

Greetings..

Hi RV: It is nice to see you, too.. yes, there were enough 'issues' to go all 'round, back then, so.. i figured some time in stillness might be appropriate.. Thanks for remembering..

Be well..

I feel as though the teachings of Lao Tzu are meant to be interpreted individually. I love seeing how different people perceive different aspects of the teachings. This statement to me means that the one who knows only does so from their perspective of reality. The one who speaks about what "should be" has no idea because it's impossible for him to speak of reality from each individual point of view. Just my take on it at least. Great responses! Thanks a bunch, everyone!