Sign in to follow this  
nac

east asian thunder gods

This topic is so frivolous, I'm not even sure it belongs in this forum. OTOH, isn't "serious Taoism" an oxymoron in some ways? :P

I was wondering whether there's a direct counterpart of Mortal Kombat's Raiden and the thunder aspect depicted in Big Trouble in Little China in East Asian mythology. You know, a thunder god with a conical hat. The Shinto deity in charge of thunder is Raijin, which kinda sounds like Raiden, but he looks more like an Indic demon. Unless I'm misremembering, the standard Taoist god of thunder, Lei Gong, looks more like Birdman than anyone else. I present my question to this community because I read somewhere that Raiden's appearance was based on some Taoist thunder god, gods, immortal or spirit. So, any ideas?

Edited by nac

This topic is so frivolous, I'm not even sure it belongs in this forum. OTOH, isn't "serious Taoism" an oxymoron in some ways? :P

I was wondering whether there's a direct counterpart of Mortal Kombat's Raiden and the thunder aspect depicted in Big Trouble in Little China in East Asian mythology. You know, a thunder god with a conical hat. The Shinto deity in charge of thunder is Raijin, which kinda sounds like Raiden, but he looks more like an Indic demon. Unless I'm misremembering, the standard Taoist god of thunder, Lei Gong, looks more like Birdman than anyone else. I present my question to this community because I read somewhere that Raiden's appearance was based on some Taoist thunder god, gods, immortal or spirit. So, any ideas?

Yes.

Raiden is level 72 Mo Pai.

Like John Chang, as per tradition of the Mo Pai level 71 to progress to the final level of 72, he meditate-fasted in cosmic vision trance (seeing everything in universal space time 3rd dimension simultaneously) atop Thunder Moon Mountain for 49 days, waiting for it to come..and finally, he was struck by lightning but redirected and harnessed its infinite power into his dan tian.

Edited by fizix

There is a Thunder Diety in Taoism - I believe called Lau Gung. And practices associated with - Thunderbreathing, Thunder Palm, Thunder magic etc. Some of Max's older teachings where these teachings. I think you can still find the videos somewhere if you do a search. The goal in lower level practices is to be "struck by lightening" (opening the crown) and later embodying the thunder and lightening - similar in techinque to Buddhist diety practices like purba.

There is a Thunder Diety in Taoism - I believe called Lau Gung. And practices associated with - Thunderbreathing, Thunder Palm, Thunder magic etc. Some of Max's older teachings where these teachings. I think you can still find the videos somewhere if you do a search. The goal in lower level practices is to be "struck by lightening" (opening the crown) and later embodying the thunder and lightening - similar in techinque to Buddhist diety practices like purba.

Uh huh, the problem is that I'm looking for a thunder deity who at least superficially resembles Raiden. Lau Gung's appearance is closer to that of Horus:

horus.jpg

The current mongolian classes have thunder breathing, for those who are interested. It's not the lau gung/phurba type practice that is found in the older videos.

Yeah. So, no gods who look like heavenly rice farmers, huh?

Not that I know of, but there should be! :)

Lei Gong was a Demon immortal then progressed and reformed to become a heavenly (god) immortal according to the texts.

The key to understanding is to be able to creatively use ones creativity without anger and use calmness. Only that has been my experience and perhaps a misappropriated spoiler for some to be put to the test.

yeah its for zapping *laughs* :lol: kidding.

Edited by TheWhiteRabbit

Lei Gong was a Demon immortal then progressed and reformed to become a heavenly (god) immortal according to the texts.

The key to understanding is to be able to creatively use ones creativity without anger and use calmness. Only that has been my experience and perhaps a misappropriated spoiler for some to be put to the test.

yeah its for zapping *laughs* laugh.gif kidding.

Nice sig!

Sign in to follow this