Apech

Egyptian metu

I do find it interesting that there are 22 metu. This could correspond to the 22 paths of the tree of life.

I do find it interesting that there are 22 metu. This could correspond to the 22 paths of the tree of life.

Ok could be possibly. I don't know and the problem with all this is that there are no diagrams or any real explanation. All the information comes from a few papyri which are themselves fragmentary copies of a complete book which has not survived from antiquity. Scholars from the first centuries AD say the Egyptians had such a book or books and there were doctors (swnw) from the earliest times.

Still interested to hear from anyone on comparison with meridians.

The metu are said variously to transport … "blood, air, mucus, urine, semen, disease-bearing entities and also malign and benign spirits".

Hey,

I have always found egyptian lost world amazing, and believed it to have more information than we could ever imagine. When I first started to look into other trains of thought. Besides the one I have been taught my whole life. This is one of the first books I picked up. "Egyptian Gods"...

Just a thought but there time of being was around the time of the Nephilim, and the watchers. I always wonders if they gave them the knowledge to change metal to gold alchamey, They had so much gold, and information. And it was said that this information came from the sons of God himself.

What do you think... Just somethings I have been thinking on... Mel

Hi Mel,

Yes Egypt is fascinating and they knew a lot. Alchemy came down through Egypt, that's turning base metal into gold and turning your consciousness into enlightened consciousness ... (outer and inner alchemy). So where did they get that knowledge from?

I think the idea that our ancestors were kind of ignorant savages is completely wrong. The people who lived in pre-history held great wisdom ... maybe not in a form we would understand. I think this is where all the old civilizations and their religions start from ... Egypt, Mesopotamia, China and so on ... they took this ancient knowledge and expressed it each in their own way through their specific cultures.

Egyptian dynastic culture starts from around 3000 BC and the very first Nile settlements were around 6000 BC ... I think the flood is sometimes thought to be around 10,000 BC so that gives the relative times. Some people dispute these dates so I am just giving the currently accepted ones.

John

Edited by apepch7

Hi Mel,

Yes Egypt is fascinating and they knew a lot. Alchemy came down through Egypt, that's turning base metal into gold and turning your consciousness into enlightened consciousness ... (outer and inner alchemy). So where did they get that knowledge from?

I think the idea that our ancestors were kind of ignorant savages is completely wrong. The people who lived in pre-history held great wisdom ... maybe not in a form we would understand. I think this is where all the old civilizations and their religions start from ... Egypt, Mesopotamia, China and so on ... they took this ancient knowledge and expressed it each in their own way through their specific cultures.

Egyptian dynastic culture starts from around 3000 BC and the very first Nile settlements were around 6000 BC ... I think the flood is sometimes thought to be around 10,000 BC so that gives the relative times. Some people dispute these dates so I am just giving the currently accepted ones.

John

Hey,

This is so right on, great thread man... What do you think of the fact that it could be possible the Alchemy, and power they knew. There are many story's in the Bible to back all this up. I am the worst please forgive me for not telling you the scripture. But it is in the beginning Genesis where a lot of the good information is, and the Book of Enosh, which is just not there, don't get me started again on that...lol

God got mad and sent just on man, moses to tell him to free his people... Ok you know the story...

But back to our point, I always said there was no way they had all that gold, and could melt it down into those amazing mask. I mean we would have some trouble these days. And then we have the pyramids and all those tunnels around them that lead up to different solar system and stars. I mean the list is endless. And yes you touched on alchemy being used in a different way then just changing base metal into Gold. I also had heard of it being used in the bedrooms... You are just the first I heard, to bring it up.

But whats you take, on the possibility of this information on all this given to man through the sons of God? Like in the the first of Genesis, I know this would mean the time line would be way ahead, or off, which wouldn't surprise me. But we don't know how long all this went on. Well just what do you think?

Thanks Mel

Edited by goonis38

Well I hit send twice trying to get rid of two post that are the same...lol Mel

Edited by goonis38

But back to our point, I always said there was no way they had all that gold, and could melt it down into those amazing mask. I mean we would have some trouble these days. And then we have the pyramids and all those tunnels around them that lead up to different solar system and stars. I mean the list is endless. And yes you touched on alchemy being used in a different way then just changing base metal into Gold. I also had heard of it being used in the bedrooms... You are just the first I heard, to bring it up.

But whats you take, on the possibility of this information on all this given to man through the sons of God? Like in the the first of Genesis, I know this would mean the time line would be way ahead, or off, which wouldn't surprise me. But we don't know how long all this went on. Well just what do you think?

Thanks Mel

They did have gold mines in Nubia and the Eastern desert but there is a quote (can't remember who) who said they had more gold than dust.

The time line is impossible to verify because we don't really know the date of the flood and even the age of Egypt is disputed e.g. some people think the sphinx is about 10,000 BC ... not the sphinx as we know it today but the sacred hill which forms its body ...

Don't know about the sons of God I only study Egypt not the bible.

The 22 metus is fascinating. Do you know the era, when the 22 metus was mentioned?

It is usually 12 channels on both sides in acupuncture theory. But in earliest surviving moxibustion texts there are 11 channels on both sides.

Have you found any maps of these metus? They would be extremely interesting to see. It is possible that these metus can correspond to the meridian system or just some part of it. Nadis of hindu seems to have correspondences to the meridian system. They travel first one channel and then continue using luo-channels, different meridians muscle-channels. A nadi is not one-to-one representation of a single meridian. It is possible that Egyptians also mapped the channels and recorded the ones they thought most important.

So if you have more detailed information about courses of metu or pictures about them I might be able to help you in comparing these two systems.

Hi Mibale,

Thanks for that incredibly helpful reply.

The source of the metu info comes from two papyri - the Ebers Papyrus dated to 1534 BC and Edwin Smith Papyrus 1550 BC - there are also some older ones going back to about 1800 BC. However it is fairly certain that this knowledge is copied from older complete works which have been lost in antiquity. I would say from the knowledge of Egyptian Religion that the main period of formulation would have been in the Old Kingdom (2686 - 2181 BC). Also the Egyptologists say that many parts of the Edwin Smith were first written in this period - also at least half of the known doctors that have been named are from this period ... this is the pyramid building age. This is also the time that the Egyptians started to write down what they knew. The actual knowledge is probably far older of course.

Because we do not have the main books of the Egyptians there are no maps or diagrams of the metu. I am sure they existed but they have been lost for centuries - prob since the burning the library at Alexandria.

My approach in studying all this is to take what is known factually as a base and then use intuition/insight or comparison to other systems to make predictions which can be verified in some way. The problem for most main stream Egyptologists is that they probably don't know about the meridians and also probably wouldn't find them credible if they did because they do not practice cultivation.

As regards the 'ending' of the metu in the anus - I am wondering about the muladhara chakra ... or perhaps the perineum is meant. Maybe when they say 'end' - and I'll have to check the actual word but maybe this is seen as a nexus point like the heart.

Anyway - any more thoughts would be great.

Cheers

John

Because we do not have the main books of the Egyptians there are no maps or diagrams of the metu. I am sure they existed but they have been lost for centuries - prob since the burning the library at Alexandria.

My approach in studying all this is to take what is known factually as a base and then use intuition/insight or comparison to other systems to make predictions which can be verified in some way. The problem for most main stream Egyptologists is that they probably don't know about the meridians and also probably wouldn't find them credible if they did because they do not practice cultivation.

Article titled Seeing the body might interest you. Look at the Greek picture of human in the article. It shows the idea of meridians in Hellenistic period. It might be possible to get more information about Egyptians by looking at the Greeks.

As regards the 'ending' of the metu in the anus - I am wondering about the muladhara chakra ... or perhaps the perineum is meant. Maybe when they say 'end' - and I'll have to check the actual word but maybe this is seen as a nexus point like the heart.

It is quite possible. Please keep me informed about the actual word. It is very common to loose lot of meaning and accuracy while translating.

-mibale

ps. Sorry...am very slow at responding. (been bit short of time nowadays)

Article titled Seeing the body might interest you. Look at the Greek picture of human in the article. It shows the idea of meridians in Hellenistic period. It might be possible to get more information about Egyptians by looking at the Greeks.

Thanks for the article. Yes the Greeks are one of the main sources for info on the ancient world. As to Fig 5. b ) - I know it says its Hellenistic but it is actually Medieval from Ashmolean 399 which is 13th Century :post-3061-128696270783_thumb.jpg

it will have been based on Galen I guess because he was still the authority - but its not actually Ancient Greek. Even so its interesting and if the Greeks thought in terms of internal structures like this then the most likely origin for this way of thinking was Egypt, simply because Egypt was already ancient when the Greeks first came on the scene.

It is quite possible. Please keep me informed about the actual word. It is very common to loose lot of meaning and accuracy while translating.

-mibale

ps. Sorry...am very slow at responding. (been bit short of time nowadays)

The book I'm using Ancient Egyptian Medicine by John F. Nunn (he is a trained doctor) says this about the metu:

…[the Ebers Papyrus] contains the enigmatic statement that "All come to his heart. They distribute to his nose and all unite at his anus". This would seem to apply to all twenty two metu listed …Such a scheme would accord very well with the Egyptian concepts of circulation of noxious substances from the bowels through the metu to the rest of the body … it remains extremely difficult to see how the metu could lead to the heart, to a specified organ or region and still unite in the anus. Clearly they cannot correspond to any anatomical structures recognised at present. However, it is conceivable that there was a word play between the words for 'anus' (pehuty) and 'end' (pehuy).

So I think we have to decide either that the Egyptians were confused or ignorant about internal structures - which is hard if not impossible to believe - or they were describing structures which were not physical in the usual sense (i.e. meridians) - which, given their religious/magical focus is easy to believe.

The possible word play end/anus is typical of the Egyptians. They clearly saw a flow both to and from this point and ascribed (some) illness to toxic flow from the bowel to the rest of body ... which could overwhelm the heart (the seat of consciousness). So I think they were saying that the anus was a major nexus and not necessarily the end as in where the whole system finished.

Don't worry about being slow in responding we are spanning five millennia here :) so time is not an issue.

Edited by apepch7

"ending," or simply a pole of negative polarity? for something that's usually considered "contiguous"...

I know it says its Hellenistic but it is actually Medieval from Ashmolean 399 which is 13th Century

Thanks for the information.

Even so its interesting and if the Greeks thought in terms of internal structures like this then the most likely origin for this way of thinking was Egypt, simply because Egypt was already ancient when the Greeks first came on the scene.

That was what I was thinking about the connection with Greek and Egypt. The Egyptians had connections to Greek world before they had connections with the China. So even if that picture happens to be that much later than I thought it might be possible to find something from Greeks as lot of their ideas might originate from Egypt. I think it might be worth checking.

"All come to his heart. They distribute to his nose and all unite at his anus".

This unite might be more similar to the Chinese concept than the idea of ending.

In a way all channels unite near anus. Point Huiyin (Ren 1 at the perineum) is also called Haidi (bottom of the ocean) and Xiaji (lower extremity). It is the point where all 8 extraordinary channels are said to unite. The ren is sea of all yin, the du is sea of all yang and the chongmai is channel of blood (all all the channels). It is not an ending but an union.

In some texts there is an idea that (like hindu muladhara) the knot where these all channels are born is inside an up from this point below the navel area (true dantian or mingmen). Some other text give different places of birth for these channels but in any case they meet at the ren 1.

Point Huiyin (Ren 1 at the perineum) is also called Haidi (bottom of the ocean) and Xiaji (lower extremity). It is the point where all 8 extraordinary channels are said to unite. The ren is sea of all yin, the du is sea of all yang and the chongmai is channel of blood (all all the channels). It is not an ending but an union.

In some texts there is an idea that (like hindu muladhara) the knot where these all channels are born is inside an up from this point below the navel area (true dantian or mingmen). Some other text give different places of birth for these channels but in any case they meet at the ren 1.

Interesting, do you have a source for that?

"ending," or simply a pole of negative polarity? for something that's usually considered "contiguous"...

yes I think that's along the right lines

This unite might be more similar to the Chinese concept than the idea of ending.

In a way all channels unite near anus. Point Huiyin (Ren 1 at the perineum) is also called Haidi (bottom of the ocean) and Xiaji (lower extremity). It is the point where all 8 extraordinary channels are said to unite. The ren is sea of all yin, the du is sea of all yang and the chongmai is channel of blood (all all the channels). It is not an ending but an union.

This is good.