DalTheJigsaw123

How To Heal A Cold With Tao? Or Zen?

Well, it has been many years since I have had a cold or flu.

I try to stay healthy, try to not change my body temperature too quickly, and when I do get an indication of an upcoming cold I will pig out on vitamin C. (That is the only time I take extra vitamin C so it is very effective when I do take it.)

Peace & Love!

Is the question how to heal yourself of a cold or others? As far as myself goes I've noticed regular Qigong practice is great preventative medicine. It keeps my immune system strong, and its rare for me to come down withi something, and if I do I tend to bounce back quickly. If another person gets sick, such as one of my kids for example. I have found Chia's "Taoist Cosmic Healing" book to be very effective. Its all about projecting your chi into others for healing purposes. I have had rather remarkable results on my kids and others with this technique. I'd recommend anyone interested in healing others check it out.

Hey there,

First I wanted to say I looked at your writing, couldn't see the short movie project you are starting, but sounds so interesting... I really think your writings are awesome, and beautiful...

Now about a cold, it is easer to keep yourself from getting one, than to cure one. But I get lots of rest anytime I feel down, or bad. Rest is always the best medicine...sleep... Take care Mel

How To Heal A Cold With Tao? Or Zen?

When I was in China, I contracted a local cold and had a chance to ask a prominent TCM physician who is also a taoist in the Longmen tradition what to do about it. He said, you sweat it out, but not exercising in any way -- you take an herbal formula for that. And prescribed one.

A very light cold will respond by next morning, but not all colds are very light. Keep it up till you are done.

I don't know what the doctor in China used. My own home remedies include garlic tea, raspberry tea, a hot mustard foot soak, and sleeping under a heap of heavy blankets immediately afterwards.

If you don't sweat it out, it might appear as though it's gone but the place it's gone to is deeper inside your system rather than out. You don't have a "common cold" anymore but you have weakened lungs instead, or kidneys, or heart. So whatever you do, try to make sure it goes "out" rather than "deeper in." Sweating is the most ready indicator of success. Good luck!

• Like 1

Well, it has been many years since I have had a cold or flu.

I try to stay healthy, try to not change my body temperature too quickly, and when I do get an indication of an upcoming cold I will pig out on vitamin C. (That is the only time I take extra vitamin C so it is very effective when I do take it.)

Peace & Love!

I see!

What about Herbs?

Running?

Hey there,

First I wanted to say I looked at your writing, couldn't see the short movie project you are starting, but sounds so interesting... I really think your writings are awesome, and beautiful...

Now about a cold, it is easer to keep yourself from getting one, than to cure one. But I get lots of rest anytime I feel down, or bad. Rest is always the best medicine...sleep... Take care Mel

Thank you!

The writing is taking a back seat because of school and work.

I am still working on my Spoken Word poetry.

Working on a Spoken Word album with a producer.

Will see how that goes.

And thanks for sharing how you get rid of your cold:)

When I was in China, I contracted a local cold and had a chance to ask a prominent TCM physician who is also a taoist in the Longmen tradition what to do about it. He said, you sweat it out, but not exercising in any way -- you take an herbal formula for that. And prescribed one.

A very light cold will respond by next morning, but not all colds are very light. Keep it up till you are done.

I don't know what the doctor in China used. My own home remedies include garlic tea, raspberry tea, a hot mustard foot soak, and sleeping under a heap of heavy blankets immediately afterwards.

If you don't sweat it out, it might appear as though it's gone but the place it's gone to is deeper inside your system rather than out. You don't have a "common cold" anymore but you have weakened lungs instead, or kidneys, or heart. So whatever you do, try to make sure it goes "out" rather than "deeper in." Sweating is the most ready indicator of success. Good luck!

I do something like this when starting to come down with something. I'll make a pot of herbal tea which includes lemongrass, which makes me sweat, drink half of it, then take a very hot shower and allow water to pour into my open mouth(now swallowing) and along my throat. When done I'll drink more tea, then wrap myself tightly in a large towel then go under the covers to 'sweat it out' and sleep.

Michael

I don't often get sick and it's usually quite a shock to both me and my friends when it does happen. I just recently got sick though and I suspect it's because I recently started working security in a local nightclub so there's lots of cigarette smoke which I normally avoid like the plague that it is <_<

I woke up so Ill I couldn't get out of bed and my throat was so swollen that I couldn't swallow at first. I rested and practiced qigong for most of the day and when I was able to get up the next day I went for some intense cardio. I've done this before and it usually helps quite a bit. While You're doing it you feel like you're going to drop dead but after you feel MUCH better. All the sweating and breathing helps clean out your blood and it gets the lymph moving too. Have some tissues and a trash can nearby though because your body is going to start getting rid of all that mucus that's clogging you up quick, fast and in a hurry. You'll cough up some real nastiness and your nose will run like a faucet but you'll be able to breath much easier for the rest of the day.

If you take Taomeow's advice and avoid exercise then I would say maybe lots of deep breathing in a sauna? Garlic is great for the immune system too :D though I've never tried it as a tea. *gag* :P

Colds and flus can be necessary to get rid of mucus and toxins, and thus the best preventive against colds is to avoid accumulating mucus and toxins. That way even if you do get a cold it's not likely to bother you much. Sugar and milk are mucus forming, as well as anything poorly digested.

There are lots of remedies for the common cold as has been seen just on this thread so far. As far as herbs go, again a lot of good herbs that produce good results. In Traditional Chinese Medicine herbs are prescribed depending on the cause of the cold, as there is not just one type of cold in TCM. There can be internal wind, heat, wind-heat, dampness, ect.... So a doctor of TCM would prescribe herbs depending on what internal disorder was the source of a particular cold.

From the more general western herbal perspective, Ecanesia and Golden Seal are very good immune system boosters. If you are familiar with the specific source of your cold, for example dampness then a good drying herb such as Ginger would be appropriate. If you had Liver wind then maybe a good liver detoxifying herb would be called for such as dandilion or milk thistle. Often the lungs are affected and licorice is good to tonify the lungs, and a natural decongestant such as nettle leaf helps with the immediate discomfort of nasal congestion and mucous. If you have a lot of mucous, which is a symptom of dampness a spicey herb such as a hot pepper is good to breaking up the mucous, inducing sweating, and cleansing the digestive tract (which houses a lot of our immune system.

If you want to really keep it simple I really like "Airborne" that herbal mixture that you sizzle in water and drink. It contains a lot of the herbs mentioned above, is easy to prepare, and very effective.

I haven't had a cold in years, but when it does happen, i eat fruits and exercise.

Apparently it seems, the cold doesn't handle exercise too well : )

Edited by effilang

He said, you sweat it out, but not exercising in any way -- you take an herbal formula for that. And prescribed one.

When I get a cold I do kungfu anyway and sweat everything out.

I dunno if it's the best remedy, but it worked for me. Anyway it was a light cold...

Colds and flus can be necessary to get rid of mucus and toxins, and thus the best preventive against colds is to avoid accumulating mucus and toxins. That way even if you do get a cold it's not likely to bother you much. Sugar and milk are mucus forming, as well as anything poorly digested.

+ 1

You don't need to supress the flu or cold, it's one of the ways in which the body gets rid of toxins...

If you stop it, you only allow the toxins to build up...

I see!

What about Herbs?

Running?

I never got into the use of herbs although I do use vitamin and mineral suppliments.

Running, I think, would not be a good idea because we would be using energy that is needed to ward off the disease. I think the least amount of physical activity would be best during prevention and curing.

This is only my personal opinion and likely has nothing to do with how it would work for anyone else.

Peace & Love!

Hi

When i have a cold i drink lots of water. Hot organic lemons and ginger. Raw crushed garlic and several grams of Ester-C.

I'll practice Zhan Zhuang for 30 mins in the morning wearing plenty of layers and that'll leave me sweating profusely.

I also take Saunas, drinking plenty more water to flush the body of toxins. Take it easy and rest a little, read and generally enjoy the downtime. Usually gone in a couple of days.

A-CHOO!

Thanks Island. Yes, lots of liquids is important, I think. (I will slow way down on my coffee intake and drink mostly fruit juices and tea.)

Peace & Love!

For a light cold that's coming on, I just exhale out of the mouth slowly (so the exhale is longer than the inhale). This warms the body (so it fights infections), and it's said that breathing out of your mouth expels sick qi. For something that's scientifically proven, breathing out of the mouth gets rid of excess moisture and heat.

Basically, I don't know how it works to get rid of sickness but I do it anyway! :lol:

Prevention is better than cure though there isn't a cure for the common cold, is there? The old saying starve a fever, feed a cold holds good.

Prevention is better than cure though there isn't a cure for the common cold, is there? The old saying starve a fever, feed a cold holds good.

I've been told that the old saying "Feed a cold, starve a fever" has been misinterpreted because some words are missing. The actual saying is "If you feed a cold, you'll have to starve a fever"! If you feed a cold it will get worse and turn into a more serious problem, which your body will need to fight with a fever. So when you start coming down with a cold, STOP EATING! Well, maybe not stop, but reduce food significantly, using lots of hot liquids and nourishing broths, hot so you will maintain body heat and sweat. Works for me....

I've been told that the old saying "Feed a cold, starve a fever" has been misinterpreted because some words are missing. The actual saying is "If you feed a cold, you'll have to starve a fever"! If you feed a cold it will get worse and turn into a more serious problem, which your body will need to fight with a fever. So when you start coming down with a cold, STOP EATING! Well, maybe not stop, but reduce food significantly, using lots of hot liquids and nourishing broths, hot so you will maintain body heat and sweat. Works for me....

Yup, Daniel Reid echoes that point in his book, Tao of Health Sex and Longevity I think.

My own home remedies include garlic tea

+10 on the Garlic Tea, (just boil a full clove for 5 min) worked really well for me + quite soothing and tasty.

Thanks for this, I hadn't heard this explanation before. Well it's a tribute to my immune system that despite the food the colds have never developed into a fever.