LaoTzu21

filling the dan tien

could someone give a description and a good source as to what it feels like and how do you know when you've filled your dan tien. and is there any reliable reading sources that i can use for good reference. and how many signs are there that your on the right path. any info like this would be appreciated. im currently practising dan tien qi gung. about 1 hour every day and jam jong in the mornings for 20 mins to 30 mins and using the principles through out the day.

could someone give a description and a good source as to what it feels like and how do you know when you've filled your dan tien. and is there any reliable reading sources that i can use for good reference. and how many signs are there that your on the right path. any info like this would be appreciated. im currently practising dan tien qi gung. about 1 hour every day and jam jong in the mornings for 20 mins to 30 mins and using the principles through out the day.

Read Taoist Yoga Alchemy and Immortality.

lol grrr thats a huge book to read i will be studying all the ones you sent me soon. probably next week. but that said i would still like to hear what other people say

There are a few things that I remember. One was warmth in the belly. That's one of the first signs that the qi has started circulating. Another big one is trembling in the belly / abdomen. That happens because the dan tian is full and you need to start ciculating the accumulated qi.

lol grrr thats a huge book to read i will be studying all the ones you sent me soon. probably next week. but that said i would still like to hear what other people say
If it starts vibrating, that is a very good sign that it is getting filled up.

I think vibration generally seems to denote an accumulation of energy.

Whereas shaking of limbs (aka "kriyas") is typically from the body trying to relieve gross blockages - usually experienced more in the beginning...when there's more gross blockages.

Also keep in mind that this stage alone could easily take 100 days to 3738 actual hrs or more of meditation. I'm guessing for most this would translate to 1-5 years out in the real world. Mileage varies of course...and progress is often slower if you are older or male (as opposed to younger or female). Point being, you'd have to be ridiculously optimistic to expect anything real happening anytime real soon, lol... :D

Edited by vortex

If it starts vibrating, that is a very good sign that it is getting filled up.

I think vibration generally seems to denote an accumulation of energy.

Whereas shaking of limbs (aka "kriyas") is typically from the body trying to relieve gross blockages - usually experienced more in the beginning...when there's more gross blockages.

Also keep in mind that this stage alone could easily take 100 days to 3738 actual hrs or more of meditation. I'm guessing for most this would translate to 1-5 years out in the real world. Mileage varies of course...and progress is often slower if you are older or male (as opposed to younger or female). Point being, you'd have to be ridiculously optimistic to expect anything real happening anytime real soon, lol... :D

its just that im starting to feel something after a month

I found this book to be virtually impenetrable without a scholarly background. I trust there are plenty of Bums who can make use of this book but I found it far too cryptic for my beginner's mind. "The Complete Book of Chinese Health & Healing: Guarding the Three Treasures" by Daniel P. Reid was vastly more helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Chinese-Health-Healing/dp/1570620717/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284600700&sr=1-1

I found this book to be virtually impenetrable without a scholarly background. I trust there are plenty of Bums who can make use of this book but I found it far too cryptic for my beginner's mind. "The Complete Book of Chinese Health & Healing: Guarding the Three Treasures" by Daniel P. Reid was vastly more helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Chinese-Health-Healing/dp/1570620717/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284600700&sr=1-1

Blasto

[sarcasm]You must be retarded, everyone knows what it means to plunge the dragon into the tiger cavity while refining the mercury to mix with the lead at the original cavity of the spirit in the gate of the immortals, don't forget to stoke the fiery bellows, you'll know when you see the magic flower petals fall. [/sarcasm]

seriously though that book needs to be re-translated into modern simple English, I'd rather pull out my own teeth than attempt to make sense of that word soup of a book.

Blasto

[sarcasm]You must be retarded, everyone knows what it means to plunge the dragon into the tiger cavity while refining the mercury to mix with the lead at the original cavity of the spirit in the gate of the immortals, don't forget to stoke the fiery bellows, you'll know when you see the magic flower petals fall. [/sarcasm]

seriously though that book needs to be re-translated into modern simple English, I'd rather pull out my own teeth than attempt to make sense of that word soup of a book.

When I failed to see any emoticons in your text I descended into a state of despair and sobbed inconsolably into the nape of my cat. My wife took great pity on me, flashed me and tossed me a vicodin, and now I feel much better. Then I came back and looked up the word sarcasm and realized what a horrible mess I made out of our Wednesday evening.

When I failed to see any emoticons in your text I descended into a state of despair and sobbed inconsolably into the nape of my cat. My wife took great pity on me, flashed me and tossed me a vicodin, and now I feel much better. Then I came back and looked up the word sarcasm and realized what a horrible mess I made out of our Wednesday evening.

:D at least you got boobs n vicodin :D

I assume we are talking about filling up the lower dan tien eh? It did not seem to take very long for me to fill up my lower dan tien when I first gave it a try ( a few weeks I think). Filling up/opening my middle dan tien seems to be more tricky to me by far.

I assume we are talking about filling up the lower dan tien eh? It did not seem to take very long for me to fill up my lower dan tien when I first gave it a try ( a few weeks I think). Filling up/opening my middle dan tien seems to be more tricky to me by far.

yes the lower one and there's more dan tiens to fill? and if u have sex do you have to start over again?

Blasto

I was about to order it, but from what you've described I am glad that I did not. Are you exadurating, or is the entire book really filled with all of those metaphors? Are the metaphors ever described in layman's terms, or do they remain obfuscated?

yes the lower one and there's more dan tiens to fill? and if u have sex do you have to start over again?

There are three dan tiens, lower, middle, and upper. The question on if you have sex and having to start over again depends. If you don't have sex too frequently you don't necessarily have to "start over" just replace what ever precentage that you lost during ejaculation. If your dan tien was very full then most likely returning your energy level to pre-ejaculation won't take as long. Of course if you over do things sexually then the rate you depelete your dan tien increases and therefore it takes longer to recharge it. It also depends on your age, health, general constitution, and the amount of pre-natal jing you are born with.

Just for a moment, let's forget the energy thing.

What if the dantien had a physical substance to it that needs to be trained before you even can start thinking about energy? Its separate from sex, doesn't matter if you retain or not, and can be filled regardless of timing.

The whole purpose of qi gong and nei gong for that matter, is to build up your internal reserves at every level, that you generate more vitality and can eventually supplement your pre natal qi, regardless of your parent's or grandparent's disregard for its existence. (and i did that without mentioning energy...)

Its a lot like trying to cook a meal in a crappy Target bought pot, with very thin metal. You may be able to make a decent meal, but the cookware will disintegrate sooner than later, and you'll probably only slightly enjoy the nutritional benefits of the food.

So putting the cart (energy) before the horse (physical structure) will reap only minuscule rewards.

With that said, get control of your dantien. That means externally with the physical muscles of the abdomen, obliques, and back. Then start to control the inner aspects of the lining. Deep belly breathing with pocketed control of the pressure in every region of the peritoneal cavity. Then learn to use the deep fascial connections

that connect the qua to the upper chest region.

This is learning how to use the "walls" of the tire, before you up the pressure of the dantien. You don't want a blow out at any of the sealing points, so best to have thick walls and good control over all regions. This alone will greatly alter your post natal qi and start you on the right track.

:)

Just for a moment, let's forget the energy thing.

What if the dantien had a physical substance to it that needs to be trained before you even can start thinking about energy? Its separate from sex, doesn't matter if you retain or not, and can be filled regardless of timing.

The whole purpose of qi gong and nei gong for that matter, is to build up your internal reserves at every level, that you generate more vitality and can eventually supplement your pre natal qi, regardless of your parent's or grandparent's disregard for its existence. (and i did that without mentioning energy...)

Its a lot like trying to cook a meal in a crappy Target bought pot, with very thin metal. You may be able to make a decent meal, but the cookware will disintegrate sooner than later, and you'll probably only slightly enjoy the nutritional benefits of the food.

So putting the cart (energy) before the horse (physical structure) will reap only minuscule rewards.

With that said, get control of your dantien. That means externally with the physical muscles of the abdomen, obliques, and back. Then start to control the inner aspects of the lining. Deep belly breathing with pocketed control of the pressure in every region of the peritoneal cavity. Then learn to use the deep fascial connections

that connect the qua to the upper chest region.

This is learning how to use the "walls" of the tire, before you up the pressure of the dantien. You don't want a blow out at any of the sealing points, so best to have thick walls and good control over all regions. This alone will greatly alter your post natal qi and start you on the right track.

any recommendations as to how to do this?

any recommendations as to how to do this?

Its not for me to tell you which way to go, just what to focus on if you want a specific outcome. There are so many paths to walk, and each must determine their own way.

But here is the best video representation of what I am talking about that I have found to this point. And I believe this gentleman is somewhat of a reputable fighter... (about 3:15)

Edited by Eternal_Student
  • Like 1

At last! A spiritual excuse for ripping a 6-pack :wub:

What about women, who don't have "6-packs" only 4?

I keep reading all over the place that LDT for women is bad news. I ask "bad news for who?" and haven't gotten a reply yet.

Aaaaahh!! Total bliss! the opportunity to weigh in on core development. Seriously, on the gross level, a stong core (lumbar-pelvic-hip complex) will change your whole sense of embodimemt, how you perceive your Self moving through space.

There are three exercises that seemed to work exceptionally well in our gym - back hyper-extensions using the roman chair (or laying over the edge of your bed with your partner sitting on your legs).

The barbell Russian twist

And the Wheel of death!! Or, the Ab-roller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alNznCbqTrs&feature=related

My experience tells me that a strong core gives you a palpable sense of what it means to "lower your center of gravity." Most people live their life in their heads; a strong core brings that down, and that can only help you localize and become sensitive to the energy of the lower tantien.

Edited by Blasto

In the middle dan tien / heart center thread I was stating that I have a huch that in men the lower dan tien is predominate and that in women the middle dan tien is. So I find some of the above statements interesting as they seem to support this notion. I had not heard that women should avoid working with the lower dan tien except when they are menstrating at which time they are supposed to focus on the middle dan tien. But it is my hunch that womens middle dan tiens are naturally more developed and open, while for men its the lower, but thats just my personal hunch for now. Yet in my thread I felt that perhaps men should work on opening their middle dan tiens so that perhaps many "man" assosicated problems would find balance. Maybe if the woman focused on her lower that might help her to find more balance as well. I wish I could find a good source on this.