brick

Shaking during meditation

Lately I've been shaking while meditating and wondering what the opinions are on it. Some have told me to try and stop the shaking, others have said to let it play it as it's a release of tension or energy. I'm undecided although it does feel natural to just let it play out. Any opinions/experiences are appreciated.

Lately I've been shaking while meditating and wondering what the opinions are on it. Some have told me to try and stop the shaking, others have said to let it play it as it's a release of tension or energy. I'm undecided although it does feel natural to just let it play out. Any opinions/experiences are appreciated.

I haven't personally experienced shaking in meditation, but I've experienced shaking. I think it's a good idea to let it play out but without mentally encouraging it. So if you maintain a neutral attitude toward it and just observe, I think it will pass. At the same time, you have to pay attention as this might be a symptom of something else (are you cold or anemic?). If you have a general health problem, you may need to see a doctor. If you are generally healthy, then I think shaking is OK.

There was one episode of extremely violent shaking that happened to me at night. I thought my body was going to explode and splatter itself on the walls. I remained calm and observed it. After a while the shaking subsided and passed away.

Perhaps someone who's personally experienced shaking in meditation can chime in.

Edited by goldisheavy

Yes I have experienced shaking in meditation - everything from slight twitching, sudden jerking and bigger movements. My approach is to just see it as part of process. Sometimes it can be quite distracting and difficult but still this is part of the process. Whatever meditation you are doing I would suggest don't give up or change it. However you will find, I think, that like layers of an onion as you go deeper the whole thing will change.

Meditation is a kind of empirical process through which you learn more and more about yourself and your body/mind states. Don't worry and be interested. If it gets to a degree that you can't put up with it then see a competent teacher.

Stop the shaking. Energy or the Forming of an Energy Circulation is never "playing "

Kind Regards,

Xian

ive had the same experience recently and ive recently solved it. if you are new to meditation try the Burmese sitting. and make sure your ankles are touching the floor. this sorted out my shaking and make sure you have the right mudra (hand contact). you should be creating a circle and interlocking your hands with the tips of the thumbs touching each other. if it still persists my teacher taught me to open your palm and concentrate healing energy into the palm and wait for it to build up then place the palm onto the area and allow the area to absorb the healing energy by massaging gently. also some shaking is a good sign of progress. but too much can be a distraction. if its too much then your probably sitting wrong if its a slight shaking and then fades away its a sign of your channels opening.

Hi there,

Well I know of this because this is what started happening to me. I was like "what is going on here". It felt like I was on one of those cheep vibrating beds in a motel room... lol The next time I opened my eyes and realized, I was above my body slightly... And also in combination with a couple of sleep paralysis happenings...

So all this was enough to get me asking about it, as you are... I asked a lot of people question... It was alarming to me as well. In the end it is as everyone here has told you. It is a natural progression to your meditation. And you are advancing. I went into an OBE after this keep on happening. I have a thread on this here... If you would like to look... But this is great...

I wish you the very best... Melanie

Other than shaking, I have also swayed from time to time. Those are natural occurances that will occur as the body begins to relax and let go of accumulated energies. I think it was Dr. Ming's book, Introduction to Chinese Qigong that had a section on a large number of common occurances that people will experience when they begin to meditate. Shaking / swaying was on the list.

When such things happen, if you can, resist the urge to focus on them. You can remain aware of them, yet do not allow them to cloud your conscious. Observe them dispassionately and retain the focus on your breathing. Constantly tune the breathing, allowing it to flow more easily.

Um.. why are you seeking advice from amateurs on a webforum? Find a teacher who is experienced to guide you

Um.. why are you seeking advice from amateurs on a webforum? Find a teacher who is experienced to guide you

could ask you the same question lol its comments like that that dont mean anything because the person whos commenting is usually in the same boat.

could ask you the same question lol its comments like that that dont mean anything because the person whos commenting is usually in the same boat.

When I offer advice it's only about something that I'm very familiar with and most times I'll tell people to find a teacher anyway. If i'm having any serious spiritual issues, I have a couple very experienced teachers who I can contact directly with advice. They know me and my practice and can offer good advice.

Asking for advice here about serious issues is just doomed for failure. not only is everyone in the same boat, as you said, but we don't know anyone else's condition. Perhaps this guy is practicing spontaneous qi gong where shaking is the point or maybe he's just having a seizure. Sharing our experiences is fine but telling this guy "no you should do this or that" will not help much, especially since there is a variance of opinion in this thread. Some people told him to relax others said control it, one person mistakingly thinks this guy is going to have an out of body experience :lol:

Brick, what sort of practice are you doing? What exactly do you mean by 'meditating' ? Perhaps if you could be more specific I could guide you toward finding an answer.I'm familiar with Buddhist paths specifically concentration and insight practices. If you're doing insight (investigating and being mindful of all sensations) then shaking is common before a particular stage of insight called the A&P - If you're doing energy stuff then I don't really know

Edited by Sunya

When I offer advice it's only about something that I'm very familiar with and most times I'll tell people to find a teacher anyway.

First, that's is a rather weaselly answer. Shame on you. Second, can you personally guarantee that when the teacher is found, it will be a good teacher who will help instead of bringing further harm? There are a lot of cult personalities and outright ignorant teachers with great credentials. So I'd like to hear about your source of confidence in the statistically average teacher, which is what the person is likely to find.

If i'm having any serious spiritual issues,

This issue is not serious.

I have a couple very experienced teachers who I can contact directly with advice. They know me and my practice and can offer good advice.

Great. Invite them here. Let them help. Or shut up.

I'm not sure I agree. Of course it's the best to ask a teacher. But often a master is so far ahead of a student that another fellow student could easier understand a problem or relate to it. A master might have resolved the issues like 30 years ago and all the novice problems could be just theoretical stuff for the master. I think exchange with fellow student can be useful. This is why we are here.

I'm not sure I agree. Of course it's the best to ask a teacher. But often a master is so far ahead of a student that another fellow student could easier understand a problem or relate to it. A master might have resolved the issues like 30 years ago and all the novice problems could be just theoretical stuff for the master. I think exchange with fellow student can be useful. This is why we are here.

agreed. ive learnt so much from being here and gathered alot of books. plus if it wasnt for some members on this forum i wouldnt know how to meditate at all. so im very greatful.

Why are you misinforming a newcomer? There's hardly just "amateurs" on this forum, although of course they will constitute the majority anywhere on earth in any undertaking.

Are you, furthermore, aware that telling someone not to seek advice on a webforum constitutes advice you are giving on a webforum? :unsure:

Why post just to make someone feel bad, as a matter of fact? If you must post a bitter pill, why not make it medicine, not poison? That's not an "amateur" skill, granted, but why don't you practice... a webforum is a great place to work on this difficult higher-level ability. ;)

Sometimes I feel you are the guardian spirit of TTB. :wub:

Awwww.... blush... thank you!:) Aren't you too one of our guardian spirits?:wub:

Why are you misinforming a newcomer? There's hardly just "amateurs" on this forum, although of course they will constitute the majority anywhere on earth in any undertaking.

Are you, furthermore, aware that telling someone not to seek advice on a webforum constitutes advice you are giving on a webforum? :unsure:

Why post just to make someone feel bad, as a matter of fact? If you must post a bitter pill, why not make it medicine, not poison? That's not an "amateur" skill, granted, but why don't you practice... a webforum is a great place to work on this difficult higher-level ability. ;)

I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. Essentially what he's doing is going into a random place full of people and asking them for "experiences/opinions" - that's not smart. It's like going into a supermarket and walking around asking what a red spot means. I'm the person in the supermarket who said, "Um dude, go see a doctor."

Now whether or not that supermarket might have a doctor or not is up for debate. I've been in that supermarket long enough to know that, sorry, we don't have any doctors. Just med students.

As someone pointed out, maybe students would really be able to help. Yeah I can attest to that, I'm a student and I can probably tell him what to do, but what happens next? What if he progresses and has even more experiences, ones he can't handle? Will he come here again asking for advice? Let's not be deluded here about the ability of TaoBums to guide others in their spiritual progress. If anything, we'll just confuse the hell out of him due to the wide variance of theories and methodologies he'll receive once he asks for advice about more serious issues

Second, can you personally guarantee that when the teacher is found, it will be a good teacher who will help instead of bringing further harm? There are a lot of cult personalities and outright ignorant teachers with great credentials. So I'd like to hear about your source of confidence in the statistically average teacher, which is what the person is likely to find.

Yes I know teachers that I can personally guarantee to be extremely realized and extremely helpful and skillful.

You're right though, if someone just goes looking for a teacher without knowing what to look for then that's pretty bad as well. That's a good point.

Edited by Sunya

Do what feels natural to you. Since meditation is generally a process of letting go, the answer should seem simple.

I would assume that anyone experiencing the awakening phases of the Kundalini has experienced the shaking to some extent or the other.

For want of a better term I began calling them 'Risings' some years ago when I was having them and I still do have them but to a much lesser extent as well as less frequent.

From what I've read, the shaking is the energy released when a correct allignment is found in the kundalini.

To me the shaking is a bit like the release of sexual energy - very pleasurable :wub: although it is a little embarasing as the times it comes is a bit awkward ... :wub::wub::wub::blush:

(why not make it medicine?) That's not an "amateur" skill, granted, but why don't you practice... a webforum is a great place to work on this difficult higher-level ability. ;)

When I was in college, I went to hear Kobun Otogawa speak at the Santa Cruz zendo. In one of his lectures, he said, "take your time with the lotus". Of course, it seemed like he was speaking to me personally; he had a great presence when he spoke.

There was nobody out there who could teach me that, and mostly it was not the focus of intent from the teachers I did go to hear. I believe the posture is the practice, and my posture was particularly bad (still not all that good!)- how do you change that, no one could tell me.

So why not a forum for people who are looking for ideas, exploring arcane mysteries, and genuinely concerned with self-improvement if not saving the planet as a whole?

Shaking, I don't know so much about, but the suggestion to sit a different posture sounds good to me. One of the mysteries that I think I stumbled onto is that there are two ligaments that support the lower spine from the pelvis, the ilio-lumbar ligaments. In "Anatomy of Movement" by Calais-Germain, there's a picture of how one pair of ligaments supports the 4th lumbar vertebrae from the pelvis as the spine stretches forward, and another pair of ligaments supports the 5th lumbar vertebrae from the pelvis as the spine leans backward. I believe these are fundamental to the support of the lower back in inhalation and exhalation, and to the freedom of motion of the sacrum in the cranial-sacral rhythm as the breath moves in and out (that, to my mind, is why the practice of the Gautamid before and after his enlightenment was centered on mindfulness in connection with inhalation and exhalation). Action comes out of fascial stretch, reciprocal action out of stretch is what keeps us upright, and shaking is an extreme reciprocal action out of stretch; look to realize the stretch and activity side-to-side, as well as forward-and-back and clockwise-counterclockwise, that helps me although I seldom shake.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. Very helpful.

I don't currently have a teacher but have had teachers with in the past. I'm actually interested in hearing the thoughts and experiences of others not just to follow blindly but to consider and reflect on with my own discernment. So everyone's opinions have been much appreciated.

My last teacher was taught by Ajahn Chah (Buddhist) but encouraged me to explore certain (non-traditional Buddhist) energy methods as well so I do. He also encouraged me to discuss with other practitioners from whatever backgrounds they came from with the knowledge that I'd still use my own discernment.

Thanks everyone for their opinions. Very helpful.

I don't currently have a teacher but have had teachers with in the past. I'm actually interested in hearing the thoughts and experiences of others not just to follow blindly but to consider and reflect on with my own discernment. So everyone's opinions have been much appreciated.

My last teacher was taught by Ajahn Chah (Buddhist) but encouraged me to explore certain (non-traditional Buddhist) energy methods as well so I do. He also encouraged me to discuss with other practitioners from whatever backgrounds they came from with the knowledge that I'd still use my own discernment.

So you've been taught jhana meditation then I take it? Did you do any vipassana or no? You still haven't said what your meditation method is

Edited by Sunya

Every time I take alot of pain in Lotus meditation I will start shaking, the more pain the more shaking. I will sweat out alot of karma during these sessions, afterwards it feels great.

Every time I take alot of pain in Lotus meditation I will start shaking, the more pain the more shaking. I will sweat out alot of karma during these sessions, afterwards it feels great.

Last time I saw Kobun (unusual Zen guy, wanted to be called Kobun without any honorific), he was concluding three week-long sesshins back-to-back. Someone asked him if he had any pain or numbness in the lotus, and he replied that he never did (of course, his father was a Zen teacher, and Kobun first started sitting at age seven). Kobun noted that he did have pain in seiza, sitting on the knees.

So it can be done, that's my take. The motion at the sacrum allows the weight of the body to trigger reciprocal innervation in the ligaments that connect the sacrum to the pelvis; that would be the sacro-iliac, sacro-spinous, and sacro-tuberous ligaments. Motion is generated at the sacrum, at the hips, down through the legs, back up the legs and the spine, forward and back between the extensors and the psoas, and in the movement of breath. In the end, the place of occurrence of consciousness sits the lotus, and it moves if you let it so that everything sits the lotus, without exception; attachment, aversion, and ignorance can be observed to condition the place of occurrence of consciousness, and the witness allows the end of a suffering.

Read "Opening the Hand of Thought: Foundations of Zen Buddhist Practice "

http://www.amazon.com/Opening-Hand-Thought-Foundations-Buddhist/dp/0861713575

It describes how to make the cushons to ease the pain of a learning the Lotus, in a Japanese Buddhist monestary, as well as a description of what it takes to do 8 hours of meditation each day.

Of course there is a system of exercises that make you limber - That can be learned from any 1st year karate class - that is not in the book.

Personaly, I used the lotus for about 15 years untill I discovered the bus seat where I could meditate and travel at the same time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It does not tell much else though.