Sign in to follow this  
simply puzzled

Hello

About my interest in Daoism:

I've practiced martial arts from the time I was 10 or so. For the past two years, I have been practicing Taijiquan almost exclusively. Many of the concepts to which other martial arts give lip service: use your opponent's strength against him, yield to your opponent's strikes, and so forth, are the very cornerstones of Taijiquan, which I think is what keeps me coming back for more. As I began to practice, I started researching Daoism, reading the Dao de Jing, the Book of Zhuangzi, the Yi Jing, the works of Chen Man Ching, and learning some Mandarin. I found that my research and my practice of Kung Fu fed off of one another: as I read about becoming empty, I was better able to yield to an opponent's attack, and as I was better able to yield to an opponent's attack, I better understood the masters' writings on becoming empty.

My other interests:

I'm a second-year graduate student in historic preservation (of architecture). I like to bike, cook up a (vegetarian) storm, and work on my Chinese calligraphy, which is quite bad.

Hi there puzzled

Interesting :)

You sound like you're quite a way down the path that I'm just starting out on.

I'm sure it'll be an interesting ride :D

Welcome!

On my hand I tried many things before settling down with Falun Dafa which I find to be the purest and "simplest", but hardest practice. Its base is very simple(follow Zhen-Shan-Ren in your daily life) and it has some exercises too that are very good. In reality it is very hard to achieve the Dao and eliminate all your attachments, emotions and desires, easy to say but so hard to do.

I try to remember Truth-Compassion-Forbearance is good and Falun Dafa is good.

Sign in to follow this