Yuen Biao

Inked...

I was thinking about getting a tattoo at some point in the next year or so and was thinking about whether this was the right thing to do in terms how Taoism would view such a thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

As a group of friends we wanted this to be done by one of the best so planned on visiting Henky Penky in Amsterdam. I'd always wanted to get one but now I have to decide what type or symbol to get; Yin Yang, Dharmachakra? I think my favourite at the moment is the Pakua symbol (does it matter what side up it is should the Yin Yang be always facing with the white on the left? -

pakua.jpg

Interesting question and I have wondered the same. Anyone got any nice Daoist/spiritual designs?

Tattoos are manifestations of the ego, the anti-Tao, and they have the potential of sapping energy from you; it is inevitable, but for what length and to what degree is varied.

This phrase resonates with me.

A tattoo is a lifetime commitment. One ought to think really hard about what one is trying to achieve with a tattoo. And humans are changeable. In 2, 10, 20 years, one's interest may change.

Which is why careful forethought is necessary. Get something you know you will be happy with, because it's something that inspires you and represents positive changes. Get something to remind you of/to do good things each time you see it.

I have two, at the moment, and more will come later in life, most likely. The first is a Rubik's Cube, symbolizing many things. It's a reminder that life is a puzzle, but may have many solutions. It depends on your goals. It's also a tesselation, rearranging the same shape on each side in order to spell Q.E.D, to signify both my continuing love for linguistics and the quantum nature of reality, but also to unite math as the underlying language of the universe with art, a la Escher. It has a non-standard color scheme to keep me from becoming complacent and following the paths others blaze without question.

The second stems from the first, as smaller hexagons falling away from the larger cube. There are 18, for a total of 108 lines: my mala. The pattern is a seemingly random one that came to me while meditating right before. If you place a staff through it, it becomes a melody in six directions, and they all fit together in myriad ways. It also helps me visualize problems in 3 space (little hexagrids are wonderful for that!), and is a handy notepad for things I need to do.

Yes, they are commitments. No, they are not to be made lightly or hastily.

But good/bad are judgments we place upon them, and decrying them as ego-driven is misleading. Posting on a website is ego-driven.

The ego is capable of good acts as well as bad ones. If you want to get inked, get something good.

Edited by unmike

The word TAO in the form of the yinyang symbol (hard to explain). EX: Each letter is formed from circles with the yinyang.

Which is why careful forethought is necessary. Get something you know you will be happy with, because it's something that inspires you and represents positive changes. Get something to remind you of/to do good things each time you see it.

I have two, at the moment, and more will come later in life, most likely. The first is a Rubik's Cube, symbolizing many things. It's a reminder that life is a puzzle, but may have many solutions. It depends on your goals. It's also a tesselation, rearranging the same shape on each side in order to spell Q.E.D, to signify both my continuing love for linguistics and the quantum nature of reality, but also to unite math as the underlying language of the universe with art, a la Escher. It has a non-standard color scheme to keep me from becoming complacent and following the paths others blaze without question.

The second stems from the first, as smaller hexagons falling away from the larger cube. There are 18, for a total of 108 lines: my mala. The pattern is a seemingly random one that came to me while meditating right before. If you place a staff through it, it becomes a melody in six directions, and they all fit together in myriad ways. It also helps me visualize problems in 3 space (little hexagrids are wonderful for that!), and is a handy notepad for things I need to do.

Yes, they are commitments. No, they are not to be made lightly or hastily.

But good/bad are judgments we place upon them, and decrying them as ego-driven is misleading. Posting on a website is ego-driven.

The ego is capable of good acts as well as bad ones. If you want to get inked, get something good.

Agreed. But i think it all depends on where the tatoo is placed. EX: Bicep w/tang top to expose it is obviously a tatoo for other ppl not ones self. EX: Inside of the wrist w/ a long sleeve shirt is for ones self.

Agreed. But i think it all depends on where the tatoo is placed. EX: Bicep w/tang top to expose it is obviously a tatoo for other ppl not ones self. EX: Inside of the wrist w/ a long sleeve shirt is for ones self.

I rarely wear long sleeves, but mine is along the inside of my left wrist. I catch sight of it at the funniest and most appropriate of times.

The Tao is wondrous and has marvelous timing.

Can't a tattoo act as a talisman? And what about all those monks that get their scriptures and sutras inked over their entire body...I don't think that is necessarily a function of ego, at least not the way it is being discussed in this thread.

tattoo_long.jpg?t=1248630821

I find it hard to believe that tattoos in and of themselves would sap energy from a person. Rather, it would be ego-identification with a tattoo that might serve to do that. Respectfully, I would also analyze why you feel it prudent to ask about getting a tattoo rather then simply getting or not getting one after careful, independent consideration.

Can't a tattoo act as a talisman? And what about all those monks that get their scriptures and sutras inked over their entire body...I don't think that is necessarily a function of ego, at least not the way it is being discussed in this thread.

tattoo_long.jpg?t=1248630821

Sak Yant Buddhist?

I agree this is not a reflection on any ego just merely their devotion shown to provide them with purpose. This surely does not sap the energy of these individuals or else it would not be allowed.

If I choose to have a tattoo it will be for myself and not for others, in a similar sense if I go for the Pakua design that is what has interested me and motivated me for many years and will continue to do so. There is nothing relevant to the ego whatsoever!

Good comments though, thank you for the replies.

I think tattooes are ultimately a spiritual act... they're on until you die... They should resonate with you.

I have a tattoo of Da Mo (from one of Dr. Yang's book) and a kalachakra i'm working on ... i have a couple others as well, a dragon, starting a tiger, and one thats the buddha with his consort on his lap...

just get something that's going to mean something!!

of course i'm a little biased cuz im learning how to tattoo. :lol:

I was thinking about getting a tattoo at some point in the next year or so and was thinking about whether this was the right thing to do in terms how Taoism would view such a thing. Does anyone have any ideas?

As a group of friends we wanted this to be done by one of the best so planned on visiting Henky Penky in Amsterdam. I'd always wanted to get one but now I have to decide what type or symbol to get; Yin Yang, Dharmachakra? I think my favourite at the moment is the Pakua symbol (does it matter what side up it is should the Yin Yang be always facing with the white on the left? -

pakua.jpg

there are 2 forms of the paqua symbol

one is earlier heaven - the second later heaven.The one you have pictured is earlier heaven.

heaven at the top earth at the bottom