nickyro

A taoist consensus on breathing

Hello.

What are the effects of the following breathing pattern on energy?

What are the ways/channels/directions?

I know it is hard to answer but do we have a consensus on something?

-INhaling?

-EXhaling?

-Pause while empty?

-Pause while full?

-Deep abdominal breathing?

-Reverse breathing?

-Effects of slow VERSUS quick breathing?

Thank you

Yang Jwing Ming's Embryonic Breathing (and small circulation) books have sections covering most of this. You can actually do a good measure of Kan and Li simply with the breath.

As to any sort of "consensus"...breathing is but a strategy - how you breathe depends on what you need to get done and certain strategies are more conducive to certain applications.

Can you revise your question a little more specifically? :D

Hello.

What are the effects of the following breathing pattern on energy?

What are the ways/channels/directions?

I know it is hard to answer but do we have a consensus on something?

-INhaling?

-EXhaling?

-Pause while empty?

-Pause while full?

-Deep abdominal breathing?

-Reverse breathing?

-Effects of slow VERSUS quick breathing?

Thank you

IME breathing serves two functions: massaging/stimulating internal organs/glands and facilitating concentration to calm down monkey mind.

In each specific technique different patterns and phasis of breathing would perform different functions. One can discuss a specific technique rather than sweeping 'inhale' across all techniques. The later just doesn't make sense for me.

Before answering your question, here's a riddle for you: If you were to quantify the word "big" what would you say?

IMHO there is no particular "Taoist breathing": There are of course different breathing methods, system and theories configuring as elements in many systems considered close to taoism, such e.g. mediation, martial arts, healing / self-healing, etc.

In other words, different objectives mean different holistic approaches with different breathing patterns among many other things. (Here's a hint to the riddle: notice that the absence of context makes it impossible to answer the question in a profound way).

To summarize, here's the only consensus on Taoist breathing I can think of: If you don't breathe you will surely die! :)

Suck it in

Blow it out

Don't quit

Edited by ~jK~