Sign in to follow this  
rybak303

Any good books that could teach a new learner about Taoism?

I have recently been doing a lot of soul searching and research into religion. I've been learning about Christianity and have read finished reading the gospels as well as multiple books by C.S. Lewis on Christianity such as Mere Christianity. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any good books that summarize what Taoism is all about like Mere Christianity does for Christianity? Also does Taoism have a holy book which is the equivalent to the bible? Would that be the Tao de Ching? I read part of it in college.

I have recently been doing a lot of soul searching and research into religion. I've been learning about Christianity and have read finished reading the gospels as well as multiple books by C.S. Lewis on Christianity such as Mere Christianity. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any good books that summarize what Taoism is all about like Mere Christianity does for Christianity? Also does Taoism have a holy book which is the equivalent to the bible? Would that be the Tao de Ching? I read part of it in college.

add my msn

Eastern thought systems are not based on beliefs - but rather philosophies.

Begin here as it is most simple: http://www.amtbweb.org/

Next is here as it begins with details described from 8 differing perspectives:

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Power-Leadership-Excellence-translation/dp/0385196377

There are three titles that get consistently recommended here.

"Scholar/Warrior: An Introduction to Tao in Everyday Life" by Deng Ming-Dao.

"The Complete Book of Chinese Health & Healing: Guarding the Three Treasures" by Daniel Reid.

"Opening the Energy Gates of Your Body: Chi Gung for Lifelong Health" by Bruce Kumar Frantzis.

I would recommend them in this order. The first puts Taoism, a vast subject, in context for the beginner. The second demystifies in western terminology the physiological side of Taoist body/mind disciplines. And the third launches you into a comprehensive explanation of how to get started safely with energy work.

The "Tao te Ching" is indeed the "bible" of Taoism. As a westerner, you would likely encourage a friend from China interested in the Bible to read a good introductory piece written for Chinese; likewise, a westerner like yourself might do well by taking the introductory chapters to various TTC translations seriously.

Then, "Jesus and Lao Tzu: The Parallel Sayings" by Martin Aronson, can be a lot of fun.

Tao Te Ching

Chuang Tzu: The Inner Chapters

Lieh Tzu

Hua Hu Ching

Wen Tzu

All the books translated by Eva Wong.

That's a good start I think.

I'm sorry but I can't recommend any summaries or shortcuts. Most Taoist books on "my" list are kind of short anyway. Just read them as is, without the summaries.

Edited by goldisheavy

Maybe you would of been happy if I included a text that had a Taoist sounding name?

Not necessarily. But I do believe that newcomers with sincere and unambiguous requests for introductory materials should be taken seriously. It seems of late that the capacity to decipher even the simplest of each other's posts has been eliminated. Being a Palahniuk fan and someone who grew up with "Hitchhiker...", I can attest to the presence of a less circuitous learning curve.

PS - My wife says I shouldn't go online when I've got darvocet coursing through my veins, so, my apologies Betwixter. :wacko:

Edited by Blasto

Sign in to follow this