LaoTzu21

half lotus shakes

Hi guys another problem solver for you, whenever i do half lotus meditation my legs start to shake especially my left side. then my back starts to ache and this causes me to push my limits in this position can anyone give some pointers on the correct position. and how to make it most comfortable. im currently using a zafu and zabuton. made of buckwheat. for comfort.

1)Try sitting half lotus (w/ zafu) w/ your back against a wall. Should be easier, as your sitting improves, slowly move away. No rush.

2)Have someone experienced observe your sitting posture, there are tweaks that might solve the problem.

Michael

1)Try sitting half lotus (w/ zafu) w/ your back against a wall. Should be easier, as your sitting improves, slowly move away. No rush.

2)Have someone experienced observe your sitting posture, there are tweaks that might solve the problem.

Michael

it would be nice to have that explained

lol thats funny but seriously ur saying i have to site through it? i think what i might do is one day sitting in a chair one day in half lotus or bermese. this way im getting relaxation and training

What I meant was, it will make you rich and famous -- look what it did for The Beatles!:lol:

But seriously... no, don't just sit through it. The shaking is not the problem in and of itself unless it is brought about by a strained, misaligned position -- which is likely since you mention backache! -- this you absolutely don't want in a lotus, half lotus, or any cross-legged position. Zero tolerance! Back pain in any such position means you are doing damage to yourself.

I would suggest a meditation in a chair with a straight back instead -- until that's comfortable, don't go cross-legged. If you don't have anyone live to adjust the position, get BK Frantzis's book (someone remind me which one please -- The Great Stillness or Relaxing Into Your Being?) which has pictures and thorough explanations as to how to do it right. Also, I would do some stretching routine or other on the side -- there's been plenty of material posted here in the Full Lotus and how to get there discussions, this will apply to a half lotus too.